Coaching Philosophy Question

the_truth

You are a college coach, trailing by 15 with 7 minutes to go in the game. Your team scores a TD. Go for 1 or 2. I know what I would do, so I want to see if anyone on here agrees with me. I am definitely in the minority on Blue Gold news.

You are a college coach, trailing by 15 with 7 minutes to go in the game. Your team scores a TD. Go for 1 or 2. I know what I would do, so I want to see if anyone on here agrees with me. I am definitely in the minority on Blue Gold news.

I know alot of coaches are going to lean on their defense to get the ball back with that much time.

If my defense is strong, which being down 15 doesn't mean they are not, I get the one and lean on them to get the ball back. If you go for 2 and don't get it, the other team may kick a field goal which puts you down a more difficult 2 scores with probably 2:30-3:00 if you are lucky. You are looking at 2 TD or 1 TD, 1 2 pt conv., and a field goal. Either way, you need at least 2 good possesions and a great defensive stand. This spells DEATH! If you get the one your down 8. If you have a tough D, they get the ball back and your looking at having to tie the game.

If you have a weak D, you need to get all the points you can while you have the possibility of scoring. You may not see the opportunity again.

With 7 minutes, you don't want to avoid taking easy points, but then again you want to give yourself the best shot for a final drive to tie or win. This is a tough one to answer w/o knowing the team.

I'd go for 1...until it gets to a 1 score game I think you have to go for one and take the "sure" point...although anything could happen when kicking. Plus if you go for 2 and don't get it then your team might get down a bit knowing its a 2 score game.

Seems more important to get ahead quick with new time rules...I agree go for one to give yourself a chance. New clock rules though making it hard to come back in my opinion.

Yeah, it's a shame they can't take out a few TV time outs during the game instead of taking 20 plays from each team and continually screwing the fans in the process.

Money and greed, what more can you say.............

The way I see it is that I would go for two. Knowing you are going to need a two point conversion anyway. So whats the difference if you miss it now, then miss it then? Then I would kick it deep. Hope for a stop. If I missed the 2 pt conversion, I'm down 9 and need to score quick and then onside it. But however, if I make the two point conversion then score again. Do you kick the extra point, and in HS PATs are not a guarantee. I would go for the win. Unless of course you are the better team and know you can ware them down in OT. If you are the underdog and not expected to win, what do you have to lose? Just my thought.

The way I see it is that I would go for two. Knowing you are going to need a two point conversion anyway. So whats the difference if you miss it now, then miss it then? Then I would kick it deep. Hope for a stop. If I missed the 2 pt conversion, I'm down 9 and need to score quick and then onside it. But however, if I make the two point conversion then score again. Do you kick the extra point, and in HS PATs are not a guarantee. I would go for the win. Unless of course you are the better team and know you can ware them down in OT. If you are the underdog and not expected to win, what do you have to lose? Just my thought.

The senerio says it is a college team, and usually PAT's in college are a pretty sure thing.

I would go for 2, that way if you fail to convert it, you are able to play the rest of the game like a two score game. If you get the 1 and make it then play the rest of the game like a 1 score game, you may only get one shot at making the 2-point conversion at the end of the game. If that makes any sense.

The senerio says it is a college team, and usually PAT's in college are a pretty sure thing.

I would go for 2, that way if you fail to convert it, you are able to play the rest of the game like a two score game. If you get the 1 and make it then play the rest of the game like a 1 score game, you may only get one shot at making the 2-point conversion at the end of the game. If that makes any sense.

Well, HS go for it, College I'll take the 1.

I'm in the minority that says go for 2. A couple of reasons.

1. You have to make a 2-pointer at some point. There's no difference in missing it later in the game than earlier, with the exception that you take all the drama out of the end of the game, or you break your team's hearts more than if you had made it.

2. The mental advantage. You make that 2-pointer, you put doubt in the opposing team while pumping up your own. No longer is it a "maybe we can tie if we get the ball back". It's a "we WILL tie if we get the ball back" scenario. Believing is half the battle.