Interesting article

CPF

There's already some complaints. Some have mentioned the travel issue. While I certainly would not want to travel to Winchester Va to play a regular season game, I would rather drive a few miles to play square competition than walk to play a bigger team that I felt reasonably sure would blow my team out by 50+ on a yearly basis. I say make the changes and have one divisional state champ.

Here's how SWVASports.com and other local teams of interest would fall in those divisions...

5A (1801+)

Franklin Co.

Halifax Co.

4A (1301-1800)

William Fleming

Patrick Henry (Roanoke)

George Washington

Amherst Co.

E.C. Glass

Pulaski Co.

3A (801-1300)

Alleghany

William Byrd

Lord Botetourt

Northside

Staunton River

Brookville

Heritage (Lyn)

Jefferson Forest

Liberty (Bed)

Rustburg

Blacksburg

Cave Spring

Christiansburg

Hidden Valley

Salem

Bassett

Magna Vista

Patrick Co.

Tunstall

Abingdon

Carroll Co.

Marion

Lee

2A (451-800)

Martinsville

Graham

Grundy

Richlands

Tazewell

Appomattox

Chatham

Dan River

Gretna

Nelson Co.

Patrick Henry (GS)

Fort Chiswell

Grayson Co.

James River

Floyd Co.

Giles

Glenvar

Radford

John Battle

Gate City

Lebanon

Virginia

J.J. Kelly

Powell Valley

1A (450 and under)

Altavista

William Campbell

Chilhowie

Holston

Northwood

Rural Retreat

George Wythe

Bland Co.

Galax

Narrows

Bath Co.

Covington

Craig Co.

Parry McCluer

Auburn

Eastern Montgomery

Haysi

Honaker

Hurley

Twin Valley

Castlewood

Coeburn

Ervinton

Rye Cove

Saint Paul

Twin Springs

Thomas Walker

Appalachia

J.I. Burton

Clintwood

Pound

There's already some complaints. Some have mentioned the travel issue. While I certainly would not want to travel to Winchester Va to play a regular season game, I would rather drive a few miles to play square competition than walk to play a bigger team that I felt reasonably sure would blow my team out by 50+ on a yearly basis. I say make the changes and have one divisional state champ.

There are NO travel issues with this new plan. You can still play in the district in which you currently play. The only change occurs in the playoffs...you play against schools of similar size.

For example...

The SWD would still play as the SWD. But when playoffs roll around...Abingdon, Carroll Co. and Marion would compete in the 3A playoffs while Graham, Richlands, Tazewell, and Grundy would compete in the 2A playoffs.

And with this plan, there is only ONE champion per division.

This plan balances the playing field in the playoffs. You won't have a school that is Division 1 in one Region but could be Division 3 if they played in another Region. You won't have Championship game matchups of a school with an enrollment of 150 playing a school with an enrollment of 650. You won't have schools playing in the Division 1 Championship game that have a higher enrollment than some of the schools that might be playing in the Division 3 Championship game.

This plan will work if given the chance...

Grundy goes to 1a with current enrollment as of today at 403.

My numbers are based on the enrollment figures currently being used by the VHSL...

403??? WOW!!! I can't believe the numbers have dropped like that...sad...

Why not have six divisions and make the numbers a little more fair? We have six state champs as is stands now. What would be the difference. I haven't looked at the numbers yet but I think a fair cut point would be every 350 students. Would that leave enough 1A teams without travel issues?

This is for all sports, not just football, so that's why not 6. It will never be totally fair, because some schools just don't fit into a certain group, and there always has to be a cutoff somewhere, it sucks if you are the smallest in a certain division, but someone has to be.

My numbers are based on the enrollment figures currently being used by the VHSL...

403??? WOW!!! I can't believe the numbers have dropped like that...sad...

sad indeed...i was talking to someone just today and said with confidence that MHS's enrollment was in the neighborhood of 850. and that's down from the high 800s it has been within the last 4-5 years. to my surprise it's down under 800 now.

one plus might be that there aren't many teams in the new proposed AA classification that could even stay close in the first half with a mavahi basketball team.

Wow...could you imagine the playoff matchups...??

In Division 2...you'd have teams like Graham,Tazewell, Richlands(maybe) Gate City, Giles, George Wythe, Floyd, Radford, Powell Valley.... I would love to see these teams battle it out in the playoffs (schools of similar size with great traditions).

This would be my dream come true!!!

Also, Marion has dropped below 800 and enrollment is projected to be around 720 in the year 2011-2012. I get these numbers from a proposed plan to upgrade the schools in the county.

Edited by futbolking

Wow...could you imagine the playoff matchups...??

In Division 2...you'd have teams like Graham,Tazewell, Richlands(maybe) Gate City, Giles, George Wythe, Floyd, Radford, Powell Valley.... I would love to see these teams battle it out in the playoffs (schools of similar size with great traditions).

This would be my dream come true!!!

Also, Marion has dropped below 800 and enrollment is projected to be around 720 in the year 2011-2012. I get these numbers from a proposed plan to upgrade the schools in the county.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the projected numbers for the other schools in Smyth by chance?