Fatal stabbing at VT...

Bluefield_Rules

Guest JJBrickface
My wife is on-campus tonight meeting with some people and has been informed to remain where she is due to a stabbing at the graduate learning center. Apparently, the suspect is in custody. Another horrible event in Blacksburg.

Crazy, Im at the Holiday Inn in blacksburg now on business. Pretty scary and sad.

My wife is on-campus tonight meeting with some people and has been informed to remain where she is due to a stabbing at the graduate learning center. Apparently, the suspect is in custody. Another horrible event in Blacksburg.

My fiancee and her friends frequent the Au Bon Pain where this took place. It surely hits close to home.

Guest JJBrickface

Wow cnn.com is reporting that the male student decapitated the female student. Unbelievable.

Wow cnn.com is reporting that the male student decapitated the female student. Unbelievable.

Correct, my fiancee confirmed this. With a "large kitchen knife". And entirely out-of-the-blue. No argument, nothing.

This reminds me of the incident on the Canadian Greyhound. Eerily similar scenarios, except the guy and girl knew each other.

Even more odd is the emergency contact on file for the female with the school was her attacker!!!

This is awful. What is with the Asian community there? This poor girl knew very few people there and listed this guy as an emergency contact. No arguing or anything. Out of the blue you cut off someone's head. He needs the crap beat out of him at the very least. I hope someone in jail gives bounces his head off the concrete a few times. I sometimes feel the same way WVURAIDER.

I am thinking of taking master's classes at VT, but this crap makes ya think twice.

Correct, my fiancee confirmed this. With a "large kitchen knife". And entirely out-of-the-blue. No argument, nothing.

This reminds me of the incident on the Canadian Greyhound. Eerily similar scenarios, except the guy and girl knew each other.

I actually drew the same connection between the cases. Being a graduate student and knowing many of the people who live there, it's almost too unreal to believe something that macabre could happen so close to home, school, and work.. twice. I feel horrible for the girl and for those who were witness to it.. I can't imagine..

i have a friend that works volunteer rescue for the campus and he couldn't really say anything, but now that i hear this just makes me sick. I feel that he should have the 4 corner penalty. I'm goin to tech next year and this really sinks in. Hasn't the school suffered enough with the massacre.

You mean four corners the way the English did it back in the day? Drawn, quartered and horses dragging the pieces to the four corners of the kingdom?

Maybe this guy being a doctoral student knew something that I didn't, but how quickly did he decapitate her? I mean if there were people there that witnessed it, why didn't they act?

they need to start permitting students to concealed carry on campuses, if people haven't figured out that the universities and schools can't protect you by now it defies logic, and people have a right to not be at the mercy of others and to be able to defend themselves.

These universities in particular have to be questioned, they can put tens of millions of $s into their sports facilities, but they don't seem to invest much in security. It's impossible to make everyone in every place safe I realize that, but they common campus police department simply doesn't come close. Where they really fall short is that aside from only offering the common campus police, they have laws that outlaw students carrying weapons to defend themselves or fellow students.

Basically "we'll only do so much to protect you, but you can't protect yourself either".

Maybe this guy being a doctoral student knew something that I didn't, but how quickly did he decapitate her? I mean if there were people there that witnessed it, why didn't they act?

act and do what, if someone's unarmed against someone with a big knife who's obviously willing to kill someone, what can people do, especially after the fact? People underestimate the lethal potential edged weapons have or the psycological affect they have on other's minds.

they need to start permitting students to concealed carry on campuses, if people haven't figured out that the universities and schools can't protect you by now it defies logic, and people have a right to not be at the mercy of others and to be able to defend themselves.

...QUOTE]

How would that have made any difference here?

If SHE had a gun, would it have stopped him?

If someone nearby might have a gun, would it have stopped him?

Sorry, I just don't see it making a diff. any way.

act and do what, if someone's unarmed against someone with a big knife who's obviously willing to kill someone, what can people do, especially after the fact? People underestimate the lethal potential edged weapons have or the psycological affect they have on other's minds.

So if you see this incident start to happen, you are gonna run or sit and watch? Even if it were afterwards, you could help apprehend him. Geez, it would be different if he had a gun or something. The sad thing is that we have too many people in this world like this or the other who shot the people in April. Also it's sad to see that you would not assist!

...QUOTE]

How would that have made any difference here?

If SHE had a gun, would it have stopped him?

If someone nearby might have a gun, would it have stopped him?

Sorry, I just don't see it making a diff. any way.

So they would just point the gun at him???

So they would just point the gun at him???

In a case like this I don't think anyone carrying a gun would have made a difference. It may have even made the situation worse. Witnesses said that there was no argument or confrontation leading up to the murder, he simply took the knife out and killed the girl. No time for anyone to react or to stop him. If someone had a gun, there very likely would have been gun shots and more wounded and/or dead on campus. However, I can see how carrying a gun may help in an inccident like the one in April 2007.