Possible Big Snow next week?

wvuraiders

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I hoped for a good one, I do find it kind of silly for them to hype this storm up days before it even begins. We may still get a good one. Or it may go to the usual northern cities like Philly, D.C., NYC, Hartford, and Boston.

It seems like over the past few years, any potentially big snowstorm for this area turns out to be a big dud or just completely misses us. We are due for a big one. Everyone agrees on that.

I also think that it's very silly of local schoolboards to cancel school over a few flurries/little dusting storms. Some cancel school because snow is expected without waiting for it to actually snow when 90% of the time they do that, we get zilch.

Wise County, my home area, already has to go until June 10. It's not even February yet! I'd say that they probably should have gone the majority of the days that they missed.

Just as it was early with the hype, it might be just a bit early for the people jumping off the bandwagon, although now most of the models are in agreement with this shift..and the closer you get, well... This thing has not been totally discounted by everyone just yet though. Almost always you will see the models shift west a day or so before its hits..and often will still be too far east. Still might not shift enough, but we'll see. This may be one of those times they don't do that though, knowing our luck. Of course, it could also be one of those that catches people off guard again (after the early letdown), like has happened. There's still a few who don't think this will go out to sea or be that far east. We'll see what tomorrow's trend brings now I guess. Then again, it could be even farther to the east, lol. Don't get excited days out on these things, just be aware of the potential. This thing hasn't even begun to take shape yet for that matter, harder to get a handle on in that case too.

Gman, what's the earliest you usually can tell?

Edited by Beamerball

I just looked at some models on what I consider to be the best, most accurate site for weather (www.weathertap.com ...it isn't free, you've got to pay). Their models for Tuesday show the L way off the coast now. Yesterday's models showed it hugging the coast and over the DelMarVa at mid-afternoon on Tuesday. This one is looking more and more like it isn't going to materialize...but hey, it could still change, it is the weather afterall...

They don't know what is going to happen yet so I wouldn't rule anything out yet. I will say that they should have known not to hype it up days before they know what will happen.

But hyping it does two great things...it boosts weather-viewing ratings on TV and helps bolster the economy because every nutbag runs out and buys up enough food/fuel/batteries for a month...

Hmm..

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=Meteomadness&pgurl=/mtweb/content/Meteomadness/archives/2009/01/theory_on_why_models_made_big_shift_in_storm.asp

The front is looking to push too far to the coast. It still may not be that far east, but its getting awfully late now for the usual westerward trend. As one said though, the south's biggest snow usually are the unexpected ones...and now that everyone is jumping off this one, that probably raises the chances, lol.

only people who consistently are wrong and still have a job....

They've been consistently right the past few days...more times than not they are. People just remember a miss more than a do a correct, sunny day. The bigger systems are the more difficult, but they're also more rare. Of course not everyone has a job that's ever changing like the weather and has so much involved either.

They've been consistently right the past few days...more times than not they are. People just remember a miss more than a do a correct, sunny day. The bigger systems are the more difficult, but they're also more rare. Of course not everyone has a job that's ever changing like the weather and has so much involved either.

just pissed with these pesky lake effect snows...Should take advice from my wife and just not wish on the weather

I've seen accuweather still thinking significant snow for the Appalachians, just less.

I've seen meteorolical blogs posted on this in the last few minutes. I'd like to see the track go back to the original. Mind you, they still do not know exactly what is going to happen!

I am now hoping for snow since the college has reopened the dorms on Sunday at 2pm.

Some of the models can be seen here...

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/

Usually I just view the medium..the "850mb temp, MSLP, 6hr Pcpn" is the most commonly view and easier to see for most. (The 0c line is typically the rain/snow indicator, its more complicated than that, but that's an easier way to look at it). You can see the newest under the 00 UTC runs.

Anyway, and remember this is just the most recent runs..may change again with the next ones, some of the latest are beginning to bring the front dropping down from Canada in slower. This would help get this developing and give us a batter shot a seeing this storm. Would like to see the area across Miss. to hold and the front allow it move up into the area, then hopefully things begin to wrap up along the VA/NC coast. The NGM model is the slowest with the front now and actually is now back to bringing the storm up along the Appalachians again. This puts us back in the snowstorm..but it might be just a bit too close for comfort (rain/mix threat).

Should be interesting to see if the following runs continue this trend, if they do, then its back to being a likely storm threat.

Some of the models can be seen here...

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/

Usually I just view the medium..the "850mb temp, MSLP, 6hr Pcpn" is the most commonly view and easier to see for most. (The 0c line is typically the rain/snow indicator, its more complicated than that, but that's an easier way to look at it). You can see the newest under the 00 UTC runs.

Anyway, and remember this is just the most recent runs..may change again with the next ones, some of the latest are beginning to bring the front dropping down from Canada in slower. This would help get this developing and give us a batter shot a seeing this storm. Would like to see the area across Miss. to hold and the front allow it move up into the area, then hopefully things begin to wrap up along the VA/NC coast. The NGM model is the slowest with the front now and actually is now back to bringing the storm up along the Appalachians again. This puts us back in the snowstorm..but it might be just a bit too close for comfort (rain/mix threat).

Should be interesting to see if the following runs continue this trend, if they do, then its back to being a likely storm threat.

These next few days are going to be very interesting.

Haha, love it. A westward shift (as some of us expected) with some of the models tonight on the 0z runs.

GFS, NAM, and especially the NGM..that I've seen.

Yep, weathertap.com now shows the L over the Roanoke/Lynchburg area at mid-day Tuesday...if that happens, we could get an epic snow...:eek:

nws.noaa.com, weather.com, accuweather.com, timetemperature.com, my new weather website is swvasports.com....keep me updated I would rather be dissapointed by you guys than by proffesional weather casters.....its killing me not too look at the forcasts :(...its like a bad new years resolution.

you guys got my heart beating saying it may still snow....lol

nws.noaa.com, weather.com, accuweather.com, timetemperature.com, my new weather website is swvasports.com....keep me updated I would rather be dissapointed by you guys than by proffesional weather casters.....its killing me not too look at the forcasts :(...its like a bad new years resolution.

you guys got my heart beating saying it may still snow....lol

an affair with the snowman may be looked down upon. lol.

Yeah I'm feeling the same, but I'm optimistic that we will see some decent snow.