Possible Big Snow next week?

wvuraiders

I am an avid weather fan and snow lover...Many storms get hyped as is the one coming monday into tuesday. It is going to be one of those gulf storms based on track. AS of now I say we get more rain than snow but who knows it may turn into a Big Daddy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an avid weather fan and snow lover...Many storms get hyped as is the one coming monday into tuesday. It is going to be one of those gulf storms based on track. AS of now I say we get more rain than snow but who knows it may turn into a Big Daddy.

The solution for you is simple, move to the white mountains in new hampshire, specifically spend time on top of mount washington, report back when you thaw out.

http://mountwashington.org/

That said, I enjoy a really good snowstorm myself

Taken as most of the models are showing now, this would one of the big ones like we haven't seen in some time. Some trying to compare the projected strength of the storm to the '93 Blizzard. It still showing up as an eastern slope tracking storm and staying fairly well to the south, which is good. The NWS in Morristown mentions the possibility for it to start as rain or a mix, but they also remind that if it pulls to the east and bombs out near us then even with a light mix to start, when the heavier precip begins you can get the dynamic cooling process, if its strong enough, and the rapid changeover. That's a process we've seen in the past big snows too...'98 a key example. Also looks like winds will be strong...if it intensifies near us and with the winds, we could be in that blizzard area.

I think its quite early for they hype too, but the models have really been consistent so far, and the longer it shows up, its harder to ignore the chances, haha. I know people over in KY are worried because they've still not recovered over there and still have plenty of ice and snow left.

Things look really good for now and the pattern is changing, usually a big storm will accompany that. We are due also. Who knows?

Edited by Beamerball

Taken as most of the models are showing now, this would one of the big ones like we haven't seen in some time. Some trying to compare the projected strength of the storm to the '93 Blizzard. It still showing up as an eastern slope tracking storm and staying fairly well to the south, which is good. The NWS in Morristown mentions the possibility for it to start as rain or a mix, but they also remind that if it pulls to the east and bombs out near us then even with a light mix to start, when the heavier precip begins you can get the dynamic cooling process, if its strong enough, and the rapid changeover. That's a process we've seen in the past big snows too...'98 a key example. Also looks like winds will be strong...if it intensifies near us and with the winds, we could be in that blizzard area.

I think its quite early for they hype too, but the models have really been consistent so far, and the longer it shows up, its harder to ignore the chances, haha. I know people over in KY are worried because they've still not recovered over there and still have plenty of ice and snow left.

Things look really good for now and the pattern is changing, usually a big storm will accompany that. We are due also. Who knows?

Holy crap , fire that new Dixon guy on the news and hire this guy. haha.

I would love a good snow. It seems like we all get teased here lately and just miss it. Lord if it had been cold enough, we'd have like a foot out there. Anyway, I enjoy a good one myself. I think I'll catch up on some movies and pull my little boy around in his sled. Come on snow, come on.

I know in Central PA we're supposed to take a hard hit:

Monday-rain/snow showers

Tuesday-snow and wind

Wednesday-snow showers

Thursday-snow showers

We're due.

We've been dodging bullets all winter...if it had been a few degrees colder a couple of times, we would have already had several big snows.

I'll let you guys know what my ankle says...since 1991, it has never been wrong about big snow storms...

I have heard comparisons to 93 on this one. I have to go back to Kentucky at the beginning of next week. The dorms are closed from the horrid ice storm but I have a conference in Louisville next week and we leave Tuesday afternoon. I might have to leave Monday and stay in a hotel.

biggest snow i can remember around here was like 1985 or so? I remember it being up even with the top of the porch at my parents house...like 3 feet.

We all loaded up and went to Winterplace for about 3 days...lol...had a blast.

I'm hoping for a big one. All the weather stations ive checked, the weather channel, wymt, wcyb, wjhl, all said that several inches were possible with this system and the weather guy for newschannel 11 said that it might be the biggest storm we've had since '98. I hope it snows a foot, i dont have to work those days and would love to miss a quiz in biology monday lol.......let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

I'm hoping for a big one. All the weather stations ive checked, the weather channel, wymt, wcyb, wjhl, all said that several inches were possible with this system and the weather guy for newschannel 11 said that it might be the biggest storm we've had since '98. I hope it snows a foot, i dont have to work those days and would love to miss a quiz in biology monday lol.......let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
I remember a big one in 98. When in 98 was it?

I'd say the most memorable was in January 1996, in the middle of second grade. That was a mess. Power lines down all over Big Stone Gap. I remember once winter finally cleared out, my dad took me and my sisters to the little league field at Bullit Park to get us practicing for Little League and get us ready. I remember the damages.

We got hit hard in Richmond in 1996 too. Easily had 3 feet on the ground. I hope this one misses us though. The river is already swollen from all the rain and a big snow could cause flooding. Not to mention the kids already have to go to school until June 10th. They don't need to miss any more days.

Not to mention the kids already have to go to school until June 10th. They don't need to miss any more days.

Well, its not their fault the TCSB closes school when it rains...

About this storm...

1- Currently, all models are predicting two possible tracks...one up the spine of the Appys and one along the coast...no one knows which path it will take at this point.

2- All forecasters agree that if it takes a path up the Appys, we are going to get some REAL snow...possibly 12" or more.

3- All forecasters agree that if it takes a path up the coast, we will get some snow, more like a few inches to half a foot or so. Areas east of the Appys will get the heavier stuff.

4- All forecasters agree that all things are contingent upon how fast this storm moves and how fast it intensifies. The faster it moves, the less snow it will produce. The less it intensifies, the less snow it will produce. A fast moving, low intensity storm up the spine of the Appys will dump well less than the possible foot I mentioned. A fast moving, low intensity storm up the coast won't produce much snow accumulation for us, period. On the other hand, a slow moving, high intensity storm moving up the coast could still possibly produce a foot of snow for us. But, if its a slow moving, high intensity storm moving up the Appys...we could be measuring in feet instead of inches.

Hold on to your butts folks, this could get ugly...

I have heard comparisons to 93 on this one. I have to go back to Kentucky at the beginning of next week. The dorms are closed from the horrid ice storm but I have a conference in Louisville next week and we leave Tuesday afternoon. I might have to leave Monday and stay in a hotel.

So they really closed the dorms because of the Ice over there? I had heard this on Wednesday, I think, but I didn't think they would actually close all the dorms and send the kids home. What about the freshmen that don't have cars on campus?

I'm guessing you go to Berea, right?

but blfd area still in running.......look like it will as gman said go just east of appalachians or just off coast.....for big snow we need it to hug inland barely...if it goes 50-100 miles off of coast we just get more lake effect wrap around normal snow...50/50....most hope we have had in a while for the big one.

Today's models runs have taken it out farther east and off the coast, but, not surprisingly there's at least one trend back....the 18z NAM just brought it up west. Often they'll trend back westward as we get closer, so being well off to the east isn't necessarily a bad thing right now. Its funny watching how many were on it yesterday, are now jumping back off...too much relying on that. As Gman pointed out, they've not ruled it out yet, just even more uncertain now. Wouldn't be surprised for this to come back farther west as it often does. But, either way, Gman is right on it. Up the east side..boom. Out to sea..ah, not so much, lol. Hope the two meet up right and can phase with each other.

Edited by Beamerball

So they really closed the dorms because of the Ice over there? I had heard this on Wednesday, I think, but I didn't think they would actually close all the dorms and send the kids home. What about the freshmen that don't have cars on campus?

I'm guessing you go to Berea, right?

Yeah I do. I took short term off this year. Quite a few of my friends on facebook that go to Berea with me have said it. I heard that those who absolutely didn't have anywhere else to go stayed in the alumni building for shelter. A lot of people went to Lexington where they had friends that let them stay. Some people stayed at hotels in Lexington.

I planned on going back on Sunday, but due to the circumstances I will have nowhere else to go. I have to be back on Tuesday afternoon to go to a music ed conference in Louisville which takes place all next week. The band director at Berea said he needs me there on Tuesday afternoon because we, the band staff and those in the Kentucky Intercollegiate Band clinic are driving to Louisville on Tuesday evening. If mother nature gets her way with us next week I might have to check into a hotel for Monday night.

Someone told me that the college was afraid that the pipes would burst in the dorms.

Do you go to Berea or something or know someone who does go?