I pledge allegiance to Obama?

bucfan64

You can respect an opinion w/o having to know why he feels that way. Some of us are just so opinionated that we don't care what people think. We speak our mind and debate it.

He just expressed how he feels and may not be into debating it. No need to disrespect him.

Sometimes in politics we may feel one way or another for personal reasons and those we don't want to talk about to get into a debate over. A lot of the older generation are that way.

didn't disrespect him, I wrote it's not an "opinion" worth respecting if someone isn't willing to back it up.,,,,,,,.

I have typed much upon the subject in other threads. I have just three things to say after reading the posts:

1. The Democrat-controlled 109th Congress passed the least amount of legislation from a Congress since the Spanish-American War.

2. Obama's cabinet = laughably poor. Much like his first month in office.

3. There is enough pork in the Obama stimulus package to serve this nation bacon for 8 years.

4. Priming the economy by getting $1T more in debt = dumb, dumb dumb dumb dumb!

didn't disrespect him, I wrote it's not an "opinion" worth respecting if someone isn't willing to back it up.,,,,,,,.

I never asked for you to respect my opinion. It's kind of hard to respect the opinion of someone who thinks debt is spelled with a "p"...:rolleyes:

You apparently already know all that "facts" about everything there is to know...so why even bother?

I never asked for you to respect my opinion. It's kind of hard to respect the opinion of someone who thinks debt is spelled with a "p"...:rolleyes:

You apparently already know all that "facts" about everything there is to know...so why even bother?

burn by a mod lol

You already told me you did respect my opinion in the post I responded to, so which is it.

As for facts unfortunately for many in modern day America, the "we can all have an opinion way of thinking" sounds really good but there's still those who are right and those who are wrong in a lot of matters.

As for me personally knowing all the facts I'm without a doubt in ignorance of "many" things, I could even even be humble and conclude that I'm ignorant of more things than the common person because I tend to be much more focused of few things in life and have a lot fewer overall interests than most, but the few things I'm passionate about I do tend to have much more experience with than the common person as well.

Or I could be arrogant and question if you were in iraq, or served in the war on terror,, and if not say what could you possibly tell me about it, aside from what anyone could read in some biased for or against American news journal.

You already told me you did respect my opinion in the post I responded to, so which is it.

The comment about the misspelling was a joke...sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

As for facts unfortunately for many in modern day America, the "we can all have an opinion way of thinking" sounds really good but there's still those who are right and those who are wrong in a lot of matters.

As for me personally knowing all the facts I'm without a doubt in ignorance of "many" things, I could even even be humble and conclude that I'm ignorant of more things than the common person because I tend to be much more focused of few things in life and have a lot fewer overall interests than most, but the few things I'm passionate about I do tend to have much more experience with than the common person as well.

Or I could be arrogant and question if you were in iraq, or served in the war on terror,, and if not say what could you possibly tell me about it, aside from what anyone could read in some biased for or against American news journal.

The problem is that everyone always thinks they are right...no matter which side of the fence you are on...you're right, in your own mind. That is why no matter how many "facts" I produce I'm not going to convince you, and you are not going to convince me...because we are both "right"...right?

First off, buzzsaw, you're exactly right. The economic crisis we're in right now does have it's origins about 30 years ago or so...and no president has even really tried to do anything about it.

At least part of the origins for our middle east problems lie that far in the past as well. If we had actually gotten serious about being more energy self sufficient after the gas shortage in the Carter years, instead of continuing to become more and more reliant on Middle Eastern oil. Well, I think it's not such a stretch to say that our interests in the Middle East(although we would still have some) would be nearly as vital. It would be interesting to see how our foreign policies would have looked had we not been beholden to the oil sheiks of the Middle East for decades.

First off, buzzsaw, you're exactly right. The economic crisis we're in right now does have it's origins about 30 years ago or so...and no president has even really tried to do anything about it.

Incorrect! Ronald Reagan had our country heading in the right direction economically speaking.

Our current national crisis can be directly traced back to the signing of NAFTA by Bill Clinton...

Incorrect! Ronald Reagan had our country heading in the right direction economically speaking.

Our current national crisis can be directly traced back to the signing of NAFTA by Bill Clinton...

LOL, I'm going to get flamed, but Reagan was a TERRIBLE president.

The national debt increased from $7B to $280B dollars during his time in office. My math might be off here, but that's about a 4000% spike in the national debt, is it not? And to my count, we haven't recovered from that yet.

His foreign policy might have even been more egregious. Has anyone ever heard of Iran-Contra? That was was a political scandal in the United States during the Reagan administration over an arms-for-hostages deal with Iran and funding for the Nicaraguan Contras group. Basically, we sold arms to Iran to get hostages. On top of this, Ollie North used some of the money to fund Nicaraugan rebels. MIND-BLOWINGLY STUPID. BTW, these same munitions are keeping Latin America in a gross state of upheaval today.

This is pretty much one rung on the ladder down from the sheer, complete idiocy of that which is NAFTA.

His foreign policy might have even been more egregious.

He got the hostages back. Even more he ended the cold war and weakened America's rival superpower to a non superpower level they've yet to recover from. I'm not certain the reason people fail to see the magnitude in that.

He got the hostages back. Even more he ended the cold war and weakened America's rival superpower to a non superpower level they've yet to recover from. I'm not certain the reason people fail to see the magnitude in that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reagan's actions might have hastened the Cold War's ending by a month, maybe. The USSR was collapsing under the weight of trying to entirely subsidize the largest agrarian economy on Earth while still fighting a losing battle to try to "one-up" the United States. The ruble was undergoing runaway inflation and it crippled the USSR. Once Gorbachev instituted glasnost and perestroika, the writing was on the wall. Not to mention the Communist bloc toppling like dominoes around the USSR.

None of which were directly attributable to Reagan as much as to the fact that communism is an unbelievably poor form of operational government. Glasnost and perestroika might have arguably been a product of the Reagan/Gorbachev talks, but it wasn't the cannon of truth that broke the wall of the Cold War.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reagan's getting the hostages back was more a product of spineless president (while in office) Jimmy Carter's exit from the White House more than anything else. Iran/the Ayatollah knew that they could play Carter like a fiddle, and they did. When Reagan came up and talked tough, they decided to let them go rather than risk it. Their point was proven: they held the hostages long enough, and made the U.S. look foolish. It sure didn't matter, really: we sold them arms not 5 years later and let Ollie North use the money to fun Latin American rebels. Did I mention how shockingly stupid this is?

You made a really good point, Iran made the U.S. look foolish under a weak democratic president, then wisely turned them loose the day a strong republican that they didn't want to tangle with was sworn into office. I chalk that up to reagan and the republican's strength in matters of foreign policy.

Reagan bogged the soviet union down in afghan which correct, they didn't have the economy to afford, and put a choke on their economy in every way possible. The soviet's invasion of afghan was their attempt to gain the upper hand in the middle east and secure the resources for their economy that was in trouble. (sound familiar, to those who wonder why the u.s. must gain and hold ground and influence in the middle east?). With Iran changing governments in a coup from a pro american government under the shaw, to a communist leader, the soviets saw a move south into afghanastan, which had ties to communism itself, as an opportunity they couldn't pass up. It was the fact that they failed to break out of their nato blockade into the middle east and gain the natural resources that they had to have that really collapsed their economy. Reagan made that happen with wise, strategic moves, politically and militarily, by arming the afghan rebels with stingers and with special ops training and overseeing guerrilla warfare there. They wouldn't have collapsed if not stopped and contained despite their economy being in trouble.

The u.s. economy has a lot of problems, but then as a superpower with military might to move and influence wherever in cvital regions, no other country can box us in and watch us collapse from within, that's the difference.

Your in a minority in thinking reagan wasn't a great president.

Hey Bucfan64, out of curiosity, Where does your son go to school? or Does your son wven go to school? After reading your post, it seems that you're not the sharpest tool in shed.

I hate to say this but, that's why Tazewell and Buchanan Counties are considered to be "the lowest of the low" because there's nothing there but a bunch of ignorant hillbillies. I bet you anything that you don't even know who Obama is much less don't even know where Washington, DC is. Huh! You probably don't even know what state Richmond's in.

I'm just curious, did you ever attend college or much less finish elementary school? What's wrong with putting a huge poster of Barack Obama near the American flag. Newsflash my friend, he's an American just like you.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Hey Bucfan64, out of curiosity, Where does your son go to school? or Does your son wven go to school? After reading your post, it seems that you're not the sharpest tool in shed.

I hate to say this but, that's why Tazewell and Buchanan Counties are considered to be "the lowest of the low" because there's nothing there but a bunch of ignorant hillbillies. I bet you anything that you don't even know who Obama is much less don't even know where Washington, DC is. Huh! You probably don't even know what state Richmond's in.

I'm just curious, did you ever attend college or much less finish elementary school? What's wrong with putting a huge poster of Barack Obama near the American flag. Newsflash my friend, he's an American just like you.

First off, on your second or maybe first post you bash almost the entire board.

Second, if you read the post, and most of the ones afterwards, you could easily see Bucfan64 was relaying an article sent to him, he even said he wasnt sure it was true. It had nothing to do with his son, if he even has one.

Third, you spend 3/4ths of your rant not relating anything to what Bucfan's original post even says. Whats wrong with putting a picture beside a flag? Same as putting any flag at the same level or above the American flag, no one person is greater than this country or should be elevated to that level.

If you are here to pick a fight and insult the entire board, leave. If you want to discuss this correctly, cause you got me riled up, in the words of the Nuge, "Im like a black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally, let's get it on"

You made a really good point, Iran made the U.S. look foolish under a weak democratic president, then wisely turned them loose the day a strong republican that they didn't want to tangle with was sworn into office. I chalk that up to reagan and the republican's strength in matters of foreign policy.

Reagan bogged the soviet union down in afghan which correct, they didn't have the economy to afford, and put a choke on their economy in every way possible. The soviet's invasion of afghan was their attempt to gain the upper hand in the middle east and secure the resources for their economy that was in trouble. (sound familiar, to those who wonder why the u.s. must gain and hold ground and influence in the middle east?). With Iran changing governments in a coup from a pro american government under the shaw, to a communist leader, the soviets saw a move south into afghanastan, which had ties to communism itself, as an opportunity they couldn't pass up. It was the fact that they failed to break out of their nato blockade into the middle east and gain the natural resources that they had to have that really collapsed their economy. Reagan made that happen with wise, strategic moves, politically and militarily, by arming the afghan rebels with stingers and with special ops training and overseeing guerrilla warfare there. They wouldn't have collapsed if not stopped and contained despite their economy being in trouble.

The u.s. economy has a lot of problems, but then as a superpower with military might to move and influence wherever in cvital regions, no other country can box us in and watch us collapse from within, that's the difference.

Your in a minority in thinking reagan wasn't a great president.

You bring up good points and support them well in your article; I just have one issue of debate.

You bring up Reagan arming the Afghans; I likewise have numerous problems with this. The rebels used the exact same training that we gave them to overthrow a ruling government in the region, give a very strong foothold to the Taliban, and give them at least some foundation to train for mass-murdering terrorist attacks. I see it as a colossal failure in foreign policy: the enemy of our enemy is certainly not always our friend, and the 1980s White House grossly failed to see this.

I know I'm in a razor-slim minority in my opinion on Reagan. Especially among conservatives. ;)

I will bold all the grammatical errors in this post:

1. The "w" in "where" is not supposed to be capitalized.

2. The "o" in "or" is supposed to be capitalized.

3. The "d" in "does" is not supposed to be capitalized.

4. You hilariously misspelled "even".

5. "Shed" in this context is preceded by the definite article "the".

6. The comma is supposed to precede the "but".

7. A comma or new sentence is needed after "low".

8. A comma is needed after "is".

9. Syntactically, "don't know" is a double negative in this context.

10. It's "D.C.", not "DC".

11. A question mark is required here.

12. "Newsflash" is nonsensical in the context of an educated discussion.

Oops, I missed two complete errors, silly me!

13. It's "which", not "what state Richmond's in".

14. Respectable, highly educated folks such as yourself don't end sentences in prepositions. Try "in which state Richmond is".

Highlanders, I'm curious: do you go to school? Did you even go to school? After reading your post, I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that this Graham High School-educated law student is a far sharper tool in the proverbial shed than you could ever wish to be.

Edited by UVAObserver

Dear Idiot,

You have demonstrated your ignorance and stupidity by referring to people from Buchanan and Tazewell counties as a bunch of ignorant hillbillies.

I do know who Obama is and since it is o.k. to put a huge poster of him next to the American Flag because he is an American "just like me," then I assume that it would then be appropriate to put a huge poster of ME beside the flag.

I currently hold a masters degree in education and a B.A. in History and Social Science, I recently completed the requirements which enabled me to add B.A. in Political Science to my resume. Thank you for the opportunity to acknowledge my educational background.

Now that I have done so would you please share your academic accomplishments with the rest of the board?

You say we are the lowest of low and a bunch ignorant hillbillies. What was the point of bringing Tazewell and Buchanan Counties into this. We are not a bunch of ignorant hillbillies. We are regular people just like everywhere else.

You bring up good points and support them well in your article; I just have one issue of debate.

You bring up Reagan arming the Afghans; I likewise have numerous problems with this. The rebels used the exact same training that we gave them to overthrow a ruling government in the region, give a very strong foothold to the Taliban, and give them at least some foundation to train for mass-murdering terrorist attacks. I see it as a colossal failure in foreign policy: the enemy of our enemy is certainly not always our friend, and the 1980s White House grossly failed to see this.

I know I'm in a razor-slim minority in my opinion on Reagan. Especially among conservatives. ;)

Granted about arming the afghan guerrillas, but as I've written before, wars are often the result of the fallout of previous wars or the power vacuums? they create, there doesn't seem to be much odds of getting around that, but even so, you have to do what you have to do at the present time in matters of war or survival or national defense,, and hope that those actions don't cause problems years later. I don't think they failed to see a potential danger in it as much as they were doing what had to be done.

Granted about arming the afghan guerrillas, but as I've written before, wars are often the result of the fallout of previous wars or the power vacuums? they create, there doesn't seem to be much odds of getting around that, but even so, you have to do what you have to do at the present time in matters of war or survival or national defense,, and hope that those actions don't cause problems years later. I don't think they failed to see a potential danger in it as much as they were doing what had to be done.

Wars are indeed all too often the fallout of previous wars, and that should be even more a foreign policy consideration behind financing groups that have obviously less-than-impeccable causes. I just believe we should've let the Afghan sleeping dog lie, as it were. But come to think of it, this was the Carter Administration, as the Afghan-Soviet conflict was 1979. So Reagan's exonerated from this one.

who knows what to believe.. you definately hear more from one side than the other... hopefully the man will help our country.. lord knows we need it..

Edited by porchy

2 posts in, and he already deserves to get booted from the forum. That's got to be some kind of record.