Grundy to go Single A in 2010

GrundyWinsAll

Hurley 7-3 1 game from playoffs

Grundy 1-9

I think thats a little difference

again, neither were very good last year...but, Hurley clearly had the better year and was probably the better team...they didn't play and it's silly to argue over who "would" have beaten who.

and as far as Hurley goes, if you look back at the posts when they won I was one of the first to say congrats every week...so not being a sourpuss or hatin' on Hurley...just saying it's kinda stupid to argue over who "would" have beaten who between two teams that were not that great to begin with...it's one thing if you have two teams that were 9-1 that didn't play or something but come on...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurley 7-3 1 game from playoffs

Grundy 1-9

I think thats a little difference

Hurley would have been 1-9, or worse, playing Grundy's schedule...its all relative...

Guest BB_TWEEDER
Hurley would have been 1-9, or worse, playing Grundy's schedule...its all relative...

I know the SWD is one of the toughest districts in this side of the state, not going to Argue that. But I am Pretty sure Hurley could have done better than 1-9 with Grundys last season schedual. And Im not putting Grundy down, They have had some down seasons the last couple of years. Hurley had many down seasons from the late 90's until the mid 2000's. I do believe Grundy will be back to a competitive team in a couple of years if it takes even that long. Good luck to Grundy, Hurley, and all the BDD teams in the years to come.

For my comments responding to you Lance, I didnt mean anything about how you supported Hurley last season becasue I support Grundy. I have some family members who have done some very big things for Grundy. And I understand what your saying about it being stupid becasue neither team was 10-0 or 9-1 or whatever, but thats what this msg bored is all about is for topics of whatever comes to our mind so Im just saying if you dont care on our topic why reply to it with a smarta$$ comment???

Edited by BB_TWEEDER

I'm not downing Hurley but who would they have beaten that Grundy did not?

Date Opponent Result

8/22 @ Haysi 18-32

8/29 OPEN

9/5 East Ridge, KY 48-6

9/12 Matewan 22-50

9/19 J.J. Kelly 27-43

9/26 @ Marion 6-27

10/3 @ Graham 21-47

10/10 Abingdon 14-63

10/17 Carroll Co.

10/24 @ Tazewell

10/31 Richlands

11/7 OPEN

I know the SWD is one of the toughest districts in this side of the state, not going to Argue that. But I am Pretty sure Hurley could have done better than 1-9 with Grundys last season schedual. And Im not putting Grundy down, They have had some down seasons the last couple of years. Hurley had many down seasons from the late 90's until the mid 2000's. I do believe Grundy will be back to a competitive team in a couple of years if it takes even that long. Good luck to Grundy, Hurley, and all the BDD teams in the years to come.

For my comments responding to you Lance, I didnt mean anything about how you supported Hurley last season becasue I support Grundy. I have some family members who have done some very big things for Grundy. And I understand what your saying about it being stupid becasue neither team was 10-0 or 9-1 or whatever, but thats what this msg bored is all about is for topics of whatever comes to our mind so Im just saying if you dont care on our topic why reply to it with a smarta$$ comment???

because its way off topic and pretty much a stupid argument in the first place? what's not to understand?

Saw in the paper that 2010 IS what they're talklng about. That is a bit of a problem, since it's in the middle of a 2-year cycle. The VHSL doesn't move teams during a cycle - kinda defeats the whole purpose of having them to start with. Now, we might possibly ask for a special waiver or hardship or something like that, but I don't see it being granted. Nothing special happened around here lately that puts us at a disadvantage (like a plant closing), and we HAD a chance to drop THIS YEAR, but passed on it, so I don't see anyone feeling sorry for us.

On the other hand, I think it's POSSIBLE we could drop. What with Districts not meaning much anymore because of Div. playoffs, the "big 3" (fb, b/g b'ball) don't actually need to have a full district schedule to make the post-season. Other sports would prob. have an easier time fixing their schedules. I just think this is a can of worms the state won't want to open.

As for the possible District ... we already know the LPD isn't receptive to us, and we belong in the BDD anyway. The wrestling team will compete in the LPD, like Garden did, until we have more BDD wrestling teams - which means TFN. Reno will prob. still be available; I don't know if they have any criteria, but our enrollment isn't going to change much. It is possible to lose a tourney or 2 (Brookville might not want Single A teams there), and I wonder about the Va. Duals, but I don't think the schedule will change much. (Speaking of, I'd like to see more NC schools - Mooresville had a great team this year).

And yes, we'll have a better shot at winning A then AA... C'burg isn't slacking off, Poquoson has a new coach, and AAA runner-up Fauquier will be AA in a few months.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I believe Hurley could have been very competitive with Matewan and Kelly. And my only reason is becasue of the speed factor and Hurley matched with speed teams. I watched the Kelly game when Grundy played and Kelly did not impress me and only If The Hurley team that plays good football like they did against Castlewood. If not then the only team would have been east ridge that could have beaten. Any way its my opinion and its like buttholes everyone has one haha so Im not degrading anyone I truly wish Grundy the best, becasue the better Grundy is the more competitive out district becomes and that gives your district more honor and have the distinct character every district wants. Good luck to all.

My point is Lance dont reply to it if it doesnt intrest you. There is many threads I see on here I read that dont intrest me and I DO NOT reply to them. Its easy just dont click the button that says "post reply" ;)

Edited by BB_TWEEDER

Saw in the paper that 2010 IS what they're talklng about. That is a bit of a problem, since it's in the middle of a 2-year cycle. The VHSL doesn't move teams during a cycle - kinda defeats the whole purpose of having them to start with. Now, we might possibly ask for a special waiver or hardship or something like that, but I don't see it being granted. Nothing special happened around here lately that puts us at a disadvantage (like a plant closing), and we HAD a chance to drop THIS YEAR, but passed on it, so I don't see anyone feeling sorry for us.

On the other hand, I think it's POSSIBLE we could drop. What with Districts not meaning much anymore because of Div. playoffs, the "big 3" (fb, b/g b'ball) don't actually need to have a full district schedule to make the post-season. Other sports would prob. have an easier time fixing their schedules. I just think this is a can of worms the state won't want to open.

As for the possible District ... we already know the LPD isn't receptive to us, and we belong in the BDD anyway. The wrestling team will compete in the LPD, like Garden did, until we have more BDD wrestling teams - which means TFN. Reno will prob. still be available; I don't know if they have any criteria, but our enrollment isn't going to change much. It is possible to lose a tourney or 2 (Brookville might not want Single A teams there), and I wonder about the Va. Duals, but I don't think the schedule will change much. (Speaking of, I'd like to see more NC schools - Mooresville had a great team this year).

And yes, we'll have a better shot at winning A then AA... C'burg isn't slacking off, Poquoson has a new coach, and AAA runner-up Fauquier will be AA in a few months.

Elliot,

The schedule will only change with the district teams. Nobody in wrestling has the "I won't wrestle a single A team" mentality. Most quality tournament want tough individuals and teams. As long as you can say I have some state place winners the good tournaments want you to come. They use the number of state champs and placers to justify the tournament strength. As long as Grundy can have some kids placeing in the state they will be going to the top tournaments in the country.

I would like to offer a side Analysis here. I think this really belongs in the wrestling forum, but... here is what I forsee. Grundy in Single A wrestling legitimizes the tournament. You already have some good quality individuals and a couple of pretty good teams( 4-6 quality kids). When you add Grundy to the mix(with their schedule) you will be promoting Single A Va all over the country. C'burg, Faquier, and Poquoson will all travel promoting Double A. Great Bridge, Colonial Forge, and Grassfields will all travel promoting Triple A. You have potential for Nationally ranked teams in all divisions. Grundy has been winning the Ryle tournament in Ky and beating the top Ky teams and one of the top teams in the Southeast. If Grundy can continue these types of performances, and finish as State team Champion, they will be in National Rankings. This would go a long way in legitimizing Va on the National level. In a few years Va will be looked at like Pa.

My point is Lance dont reply to it if it doesnt intrest you. There is many threads I see on here I read that dont intrest me and I DO NOT reply to them. Its easy just dont click the button that says "post reply" ;)

my point is...i pretty much do whatever i want around here...thank you very much :)

I believe Hurley could have been very competitive with Matewan and Kelly. And my only reason is becasue of the speed factor and Hurley matched with speed teams. I watched the Kelly game when Grundy played and Kelly did not impress me and only If The Hurley team that plays good football like they did against Castlewood. If not then the only team would have been east ridge that could have beaten. Any way its my opinion and its like buttholes everyone has one haha so Im not degrading anyone I truly wish Grundy the best, becasue the better Grundy is the more competitive out district becomes and that gives your district more honor and have the distinct character every district wants. Good luck to all.

Trust me, Hurley wouldn't have been competitive with Matewan AT MATEWAN...nothing like the old Mingo Co. good ole boys in stripes...

I'm sure Lance knows how the reply button works, considering he is the one that runs the board and put all of this together... Maybe if you don't like what he has to say, then you should quit pushing the reply button.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I could care less I do what I want also, but the diff is I dont have to put up with the headache you do ;) I dont care if you ran this country that doesnt make you anybetter than me. We all are no better than the other one. And im having a coversation with somthing that intrest me so I will reply as often as I want. If it doesnt intrest someone about the Hurley and Grundy Conversation then dont stick your smart comment in it saying who cares, becasue apparently ppl do care becasue this has had quite a response.

Edited by BB_TWEEDER

Guest BB_TWEEDER
Trust me, Hurley wouldn't have been competitive with Matewan AT MATEWAN...nothing like the old Mingo Co. good ole boys in stripes...

HAHAHAHA You do have a very strong point there.

I could care less I do what I want also, but the diff is I dont have to put up with the headache you do ;) I dont care if you ran this country that doesnt make you anybetter than me. We all are no better than the other one. And im having a coversation with somthing that intrest me so I will reply as often as I want. If it doesnt intrest someone about the Hurley and Grundy Conversation then dont stick your smart comment in it saying who cares, becasue apparently ppl do care becasue this has had quite a response.

off with your head....goodbye :)

fellas come on..haha...so what im understanding is that we are dropping before the annual cycle..and this is Grundy's last year in the SWD?

It would take a waver from the VHSL if Grundy wants to compeat in the post season and given the track record of the VHSL I DO NOT see it happening

It is my understanding that the plan at Grundy was to wait until the next cycle then revisit the idea of dropping to A. That seems to still be what will happen but is being made more complicated by due the impatience of some to wait....

It would take a waver from the VHSL if Grundy wants to compete in the post season and given the track record of the VHSL I DO NOT see it happening

I think that Grundy would get the "hardship" waiver. If not the VHSL may get a visit from one of the local attorneys. Grundy is the smallest AA team with about 430 students. Ken Tilley was notified last year about the situation when the school board did not vote on the matter they just "heard arguements" from all concerned. This is an Action by the Buchanan County School Board. I think that it will be looked at in this light, not like a team who is middle of the pack enrollment wanting to play down to get an advantage.

I think that Grundy would get the "hardship" waiver. If not the VHSL may get a visit from one of the local attorneys. Grundy is the smallest AA team with about 430 students. Ken Tilley was notified last year about the situation when the school board did not vote on the matter they just "heard arguements" from all concerned. This is an Action by the Buchanan County School Board. I think that it will be looked at in this light, not like a team who is middle of the pack enrollment wanting to play down to get an advantage.

Grundy does NOT NEED a hardship waver to drop they ARE single A sized and could have dropped for next year IF they had not applyed to stay AA for the next cycle plain and simpal they missed the deadline to drop for this cycle all the Lawers in Grundy can not dispute that.

Grundy does NOT NEED a hardship waver to drop they ARE single A sized and could have dropped for next year IF they had not applyed to stay AA for the next cycle plain and simpal they missed the deadline to drop for this cycle all the Lawers in Grundy can not dispute that.

We WOULD need a waiver to drop for 2010 - it's the middle of a cycle and we requested to stay AA for the cycle. Don't see it happening.

We didn't miss any deadline... we first said we wanted to drop, then we said we want to stay AA. Deadline for 2011 isn't here yet.

BUT.... it's also possible we could withdraw from the SWD. That's a whole other can of worms... what would the VHSL do with us? Contract buy-outs, etc.

Dropping to for Fall 2010 just doesn't work for me.

Edited by VHSLhelper