Thurman named VHS coach

Blue_Crue

Former Gretna High School coach Chris Thurman was officially named Virginia High’s new head football coach late Monday night at a meeting of the Bristol, Va. school board.

Thurman led Gretna to the 2007 and 2008 VHSL Group A, Division 2 state titles. Look for more details in tomorrow’s edition of the Bristol Herald Courier

Well, in spite of the "leaks, sniping, and inadequacies" in an "exact" hiring process.....congrats to VA High on this selection. I would venture to say besides getting a new coach....... much has been "learned and corrected" within the school system's "internal" processes..... :)

Edited by trublue

There sure is a lot of pressure being placed on this guy. don't forget that, while Va high has athletes, they do not have the level that gretna is used to. didn't they two platoon two years ago against gate city? i don't see that happening at vhs.

There sure is a lot of pressure being placed on this guy. don't forget that, while Va high has athletes, they do not have the level that gretna is used to. didn't they two platoon two years ago against gate city? i don't see that happening at vhs.

why? VHS has good numbers...they should have a good pool to pull from...I dont expect much for a couple of years, it will take him a few years to weed out the problems and get the kids in the groove...thats if the parents dont run him off before that happens.

why? VHS has good numbers...they should have a good pool to pull from...I dont expect much for a couple of years, it will take him a few years to weed out the problems and get the kids in the groove...thats if the parents dont run him off before that happens.

Have you ever seen Gretna play? There is no school around here that can put that talent out year in and year out.

Have you ever seen Gretna play? There is no school around here that can put that talent out year in and year out.

yep...but you have to have a coach that knows what to do with it or it's wasted...trust me I know.