Thurman named VHS coach

Blue_Crue

I feel that Thurman was seriously blessed with the talent in Gretna. They have some serious athletes in Gretna. No one in single A can match the athletes they put on the football field. No one!

I don't know much about the caliber of athlete at VA High but would bet that they cannot produce what Gretna can. You must have tremendous athletes to run the scheme that Gretna runs. Even on D they bring the house (which was a ton of speed) and force the qb into some bad decisions leaving the dbs in man to man. Again, you need some serious athletes.

No one has addressed the 2.0 rule he will face at Virginia High. From what i've been told if an athlete has below a 2.0 when report cards come out (six weeks) he is ineligible for sports. So if a stud has all D's and is passing he still cannot play.

No one has addressed the 2.0 rule he will face at Virginia High. From what i've been told if an athlete has below a 2.0 when report cards come out (six weeks) he is ineligible for sports. So if a stud has all D's and is passing he still cannot play.

Yep...

you can sleep through class and still manage a 2.0...if a kid is that lazy then it's his own fault...there is no excuse to not be able to keep a 2.0 avg

Still don't excuse the fact that if a kid has all D's and a C he will not be eligible. What if a kid has a rough six weeks? He will be done for a six weeks of sports. I've often heard that the best athletes at Va High are walking the halls, because of this.

Still don't excuse the fact that if a kid has all D's and a C he will not be eligible. What if a kid has a rough six weeks? He will be done for a six weeks of sports. I've often heard that the best athletes at Va High are walking the halls, because of this.

my dad always told me d stood for diploma.

If the athelete has all D's and a C then he hasn't just had a rough six-weeks. He has been completely lazy. There are always a couple classes that are a gimme A or B.

If the athelete has all D's and a C then he hasn't just had a rough six-weeks. He has been completely lazy. There are always a couple classes that are a gimme A or B.

I agree...I think it's a good policy...if they can't get at least a 2.0 then they probably need to spend that extra time and energy studying instead of worrying about sports....and if sports means that much to you, then do at least what you need to do if you want to remain eligible.

why? VHS has good numbers...they should have a good pool to pull from...I dont expect much for a couple of years, it will take him a few years to weed out the problems and get the kids in the groove...thats if the parents dont run him off before that happens.

Parents are not the problem at VHS. It is in their school ranks. They have problems. I know parents did not like Smith but if anyone knew him he brought his troubles on himself not with football but with his desire to show his rearend in handling other matters. Their Super and Ad are jokes. Their new principal is alright. They need to can the super and Ad. That would save the schoolsystem big bucks that they could use other places. Thurman will not have the great QB he had a Gretna but he will have some speed in the backfield. The O-line and the D is where he will struggle at. VHS kids are soft they do not like the work in weightroom. He will have to change this culture. VHS once had discipline under coaches such as Locke and Wheeler. They need to return to those ways. People say VHS baseball school but in years past they had a good football program. Thurman will have to deal with the lazy kids and I hate to say this but there is far too many of these kids in the VHS halls. They will not be beating down the doors of the weightroom. He will have to force them in. If he can change the culture he can make VHS winners. After watching some of VHS games the QB slot is killing them and their D in that 3-4 goal line stand has to change. Tough is a word they need to find and learn. You can teach technique but you cannot teach heart and desire.

you can sleep through class and still manage a 2.0...if a kid is that lazy then it's his own fault...there is no excuse to not be able to keep a 2.0 avg

Lance I agree on this one!! What happens when that injury comes that ends your HS sports? An it does happen! These kids need to be scholar athletes not dumb jocks. If a kid can understand offensive schemes he should be able to do basic school work. I guess we can just depend on the Govt. to take care of all the athletes who do not make it to college or pro ball. Just because you are a HS Stud does not make you a superstar at the next level. Look at the thugs we have in the NFL today. Ya! Let's sacrafice a childs education for his athletic prowess. Heck he might even make President one day! Just pass them along because he can run, jump, and throw better than anyone else.

The way the 2.0 policy works at VHS is that the student-athlete has to attend a study hall if he or she does not have 2.0 - the study hall runs about 45 minutes a day immediately after school. It is not the death penalty it once was. The former principal had it changed - 2.0 is not an issue anymore as the kids who do not have it simply go to a study hall and they are eligible. Not a bad thing actually....;)