Greenberg headed to Arizona?

That's the rumor tonight. I don't know if it has hit the Tech boards; it probably has. I must ask, WTH is Arizona thinking? If Greenberg is the best they can do I'm stunned. And Tim Floyd wouldn't have been any better.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.roanoke.com/rtblogs/courtside/2009/04/03/greenberg-no-arizona-talks/

Greenberg: No Arizona talks

Seth Greenberg texted me just now to say that he has not talked with Arizona. And he texted my colleague Doug Doughty to say that he plans to be at VT for a long time.

This comes on the heels of Jim Weaver telling me that Arizona has not called to seek permission to talk to Seth. So I think this safely puts to bed the rumor the Arizona Republic had been hearing.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/rtblogs/courtside/2009/04/03/greenberg-no-arizona-talks/

Greenberg: No Arizona talks

Seth Greenberg texted me just now to say that he has not talked with Arizona. And he texted my colleague Doug Doughty to say that he plans to be at VT for a long time.

This comes on the heels of Jim Weaver telling me that Arizona has not called to seek permission to talk to Seth. So I think this safely puts to bed the rumor the Arizona Republic had been hearing.

That's what all ADs and coaches say just before they leave...

Guest JJBrickface

He has done more for Tech than any other coach they have had recently.

totally different situation.....

If I were Greenberg....I'd go. However Arizona is stupid. They are a big basketball school, Greenberg? Really, I'm sure someone better is available. I don't think he would leave, but why not offer Jay Wright from Villanova?

Edited by fieldgeneral

That's the rumor tonight. I don't know if it has hit the Tech boards; it probably has. I must ask, WTH is Arizona thinking? If Greenberg is the best they can do I'm stunned. And Tim Floyd wouldn't have been any better.

Looks doubtful, Sean Miller of Xavier is supposed to meet with the Arizona AD soon.

If I were Greenberg....I'd go. However Arizona is stupid. They are a big basketball school, Greenberg? Really, I'm sure someone better is available. I don't think he would leave, but why not offer Jay Wright from Villanova?

or the coach from Gonzaga Mark Few (pretty sure he is still there haha) I could see him taking that job.

What makes you think that Arizona would be able to lure Jay Wright away from Villanova? Jay Wright is the coach of a team that just went to the Final Four and plays in one of the top two conferences in the nation. Where is Arizona a better fit for him? Maybe Arizona is focusing it's efforts on someone that may have ties to the Wildcat family or that they know they have a realistic shot at landing.

Just because a job opens up at a school that has won one national title in it's basketball history, and that was twelve years ago, not every coach that has their team in the in top 25 in the county is lining up to interview for that job.

Once again, you have no merit to back up anything you throw out there.........

Guest BEAVERTAIL

First off, no one wants to go to Arizona. Think of Kentucky of the east coast. Just recently, Tim Floyd was offered the job and turned it down. Why? Cause he knows he will break the streak of consecutive seasons in the NCAA tournament, he will be hard pressed to win games with crazy boosters, and the public scene he would be put in. Arizona is a great basketball school, but the job may be suicide.

Tim Floyd and Seth Greenberg are almost the same coach looking at stats, with similar records, similar postseason abilities, and so on. Both average just under 20 win seasons.

There is justification for going after Greenberg. He is a coach that has turned a team around, same with Floyd. Zona knows they are gonna need a caoch to start from scratch once again, so they want one that can do it, and do it quickly. Therefore, they are looking for a type of coach like Greenberg and Floyd.

First off, no one wants to go to Arizona. Think of Kentucky of the east coast. Just recently, Tim Floyd was offered the job and turned it down. Why? Cause he knows he will break the streak of consecutive seasons in the NCAA tournament, he will be hard pressed to win games with crazy boosters, and the public scene he would be put in. Arizona is a great basketball school, but the job may be suicide.

I forgot to mention that Jay Wright also turned down Kentucky.

Well, Sidney Lowe may be on his way out at NC State. Maybe he'd be willing to give Arizona a shot. Arizona State took an old NC State coach, Sendek, and are doing better than before. Think State fans would love to have ol' Herb back now? LOL

What makes you think that Arizona would be able to lure Jay Wright away from Villanova? Jay Wright is the coach of a team that just went to the Final Four and plays in one of the top two conferences in the nation. Where is Arizona a better fit for him? Maybe Arizona is focusing it's efforts on someone that may have ties to the Wildcat family or that they know they have a realistic shot at landing.

Just because a job opens up at a school that has won one national title in it's basketball history, and that was twelve years ago, not every coach that has their team in the in top 25 in the county is lining up to interview for that job.

Once again, you have no merit to back up anything you throw out there.........

Once again, you are crying that I didn't give big ups to Hokie nation....what a surprise!

If you could read, I never said that he would go or they could lure him away. If I were Jay Wright, I'd rather stay where I'm at. I simply suggested him as a target. Why wouldn't you want him. He's an outstanding coach. He coaches in THE best conference in the nation and had a final four team this year.

Where is Arizona a better fit....oops why? I never said they were, again you assume and pretend I'm saying something. I simply brought up his name as I should have Millers. I did mention him for Kentucky and if Cal hadn't taken it, I wouldn't be surprised that he would get it. I only mentioned Wright because of his success and the fact that his stock keeps rising. Arizona would love to have a seasoned successful coach, but they may have to go to a rising star. Greenberg isn't a spring chicken and hasn't done wonderful great things. He has missed several opportunities in the past couple of seasons and this year may have been his best opportunites. He is losing a good bit of scoring. He has done a good job, but not good enough. The ACC has a great team in Carolina and some good teams that seem to be rising. Duke needs some more tools, Clemson needs a coach, WF needs everyone to not enter the draft, nc state needs some players, and we could go on and on. VT had a good season, nothing to hang their head, but if Greenberg can coach his team to victory in some of those many close games, then his achievement level is much higher and I might would agree with you.

I agree that maybe they look for someone with ties or even look at the interim head coach who knows. They have a good program and Lute Olson was a great coach, now they must rebuild in a sense with a new captain. I just don't think Greenberg is the man. If they hire him, you can say I told ya so.

So what they've won ONLY one championship and many tournament trips going more than first round outs. Many coaches would love that position. Who said the top 25 coaches are lining up for this job? Anyone anyone? I mentioned Jay Wright.....that is 24 less than you silly statement. You must have something against Arizona....don't know don't care, but geez chill out.

It must be a monthly thing with some of you, because for you to rant so senselessly on this topic is crazy.

Greenberg is staying put....sorry.

Tim Floyd and Seth Greenberg are almost the same coach looking at stats, with similar records, similar postseason abilities, and so on. Both average just under 20 win seasons.

There is justification for going after Greenberg. He is a coach that has turned a team around, same with Floyd. Zona knows they are gonna need a caoch to start from scratch once again, so they want one that can do it, and do it quickly. Therefore, they are looking for a type of coach like Greenberg and Floyd.

While I agree that Arizona will be a tough job to fill Olson's shoes, it is a great place to go. The job will be tough to deal with if you're not successful early. However, the name of the school will recruit well in the west. They did offer Floyd, but he has had some pretty good athletes / recruits....most notably Mayo. Arizona wants that kind of recruit for their school's team. Sure they'd want him more than a year. Greenberg isn't getting that type of recruit.

Any coach could have some success with that team immediately. They only had 2 seniors this year and not sure if Budinger leaves or not. If Hill and Budinger stay, they have a good foundation for next year.

I just don't see Greenberg's accomplishments being worthy of getting that job just yet. Maybe in a few years he proves me wrong. I honestly didn't see Floyd getting it either, but who knows.

Well, Sidney Lowe may be on his way out at NC State. Maybe he'd be willing to give Arizona a shot. Arizona State took an old NC State coach, Sendek, and are doing better than before. Think State fans would love to have ol' Herb back now? LOL

That's the reason I threw NCSU in there...they got what they asked for...

BTW, Xavier coach Sean Miller will be the new Arizona coach...

Guest BEAVERTAIL
While I agree that Arizona will be a tough job to fill Olson's shoes, it is a great place to go. The job will be tough to deal with if you're not successful early. However, the name of the school will recruit well in the west. They did offer Floyd, but he has had some pretty good athletes / recruits....most notably Mayo. Arizona wants that kind of recruit for their school's team. Sure they'd want him more than a year. Greenberg isn't getting that type of recruit.

Any coach could have some success with that team immediately. They only had 2 seniors this year and not sure if Budinger leaves or not. If Hill and Budinger stay, they have a good foundation for next year.

I just don't see Greenberg's accomplishments being worthy of getting that job just yet. Maybe in a few years he proves me wrong. I honestly didn't see Floyd getting it either, but who knows.

OJ Mayo did not choose USC. OJ Mayo did not choose Tim Floyd. OJ Mayo chose the lifestyle and publicity of that town, even he said that.

Even so, Arizona doesnt want that type of recruit. This year 18 out of 20 of the Final 4 starters were Juniors or Seniors. Arizona wants to win, not fill the stands and create hype like a 1 year NBA player would create. Arizona leads the PAC 10 in attendance with an average of 95% this year, a year with no Lute Olsen and a mediocre team, less than mediocre team for Zona.

They want to build another dynasty, and want a younger coach to do it.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Holy cow.

In the span of less than 30 minutes, Miller has rejected and reportedly now accepted the offer. Who knows what is going on. My link has changed just in the last 5 minutes as well as the story.