Old area football helmets

hogo_sportz

Evans was looking for a Penn St/Alabama look and a Auburn philosphy. In summer of 83 he took several players to football camp at Auburn. The offense he ran was an Auburn option offense during the time and the defense was also patterned after Auburn. He loved that "War Eagle" mentality.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the fight song was "Dixie" ('Ole Miss) but I think that was there before Evans, wasn't it? So I don't know but the uniforms were no doubt Alabama.

The Dixie song was tacked on to the end of the Richlands fight song with a brief musical segue and was being used years before Evans.

The Dixie song was tacked on to the end of the Richlands fight song with a brief musical segue and was being used years before Evans.

I wasn't very old at the time, but I remember the fight song, "Big Blue Dixie" as being Dixie all the way through. You're saying it was added on to another song? The current fight song is a rendition of "Harvardianna" and comes from Harvard University. I had never heard it before when I moved back from Richmond in the late 90's.

Yes, the Big Blue fight school ("W/blue and wht. banners flying oe'r the field of victory......") was played first then a segue into Dixie. I learned of the Harvardianna connection to the Blues fight song 3 yrs. ago after viewing some video clips and saw the credit listed for it.

If Evans was a 'Bama guy, why did RHS incorporate so many elements of the Auburn culture? (Specifically thinking about the "War Eagle" chant and the fact that he named one of his kids "Auburn.")

I do remember his daughter being named Auburn.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Yes, the Big Blue fight school ("W/blue and wht. banners flying oe'r the field of victory......") was played first then a segue into Dixie. I learned of the Harvardianna connection to the Blues fight song 3 yrs. ago after viewing some video clips and saw the credit listed for it.

Yep, "Dixie" was discontinued while I was in high school circa 1986. I could still probably play the introductory fanfare from it, though.

Also, the Dixie flag was run from one end of the track to the other, in front of Richlands stands, when the "fight song" was played.

I didn't know that. Thanks

Yep, "Dixie" was discontinued while I was in high school circa 1986. I could still probably play the introductory fanfare from it, though.

I thought Richlands stopped playing "Dixie" after the 1987 playoff game with Virginia High. From what I can remember, V-High had some complaints.

I thought Richlands stopped playing "Dixie" after the 1987 playoff game with Virginia High. From what I can remember, V-High had some complaints.

I'm pretty sure that the song had been canned well before then. The issue in '87 was the fact that several Richlands fans were waving Confederate battle flags in the stands.

It's an oval containing the word "TORNADO." Pretty sure this logo was designed by RHS alum Chad Durham.

I think Chad designed the current logo, "Lightning R"--

I think Chad designed the current logo, "Lightning R"--

The current logo is stock. There is an entire alphabet. John Battle and Patrick Henry both use it.

The current logo is stock. There is an entire alphabet. John Battle and Patrick Henry both use it.

Thanks Big D, I wasn't aware of that. For some reason, thinking it was designed by Chad.

If Evans was a 'Bama guy, why did RHS incorporate so many elements of the Auburn culture? (Specifically thinking about the "War Eagle" chant and the fact that he named one of his kids "Auburn.")

Bruce Evans was an Auburn fan -- not Alabama and yep his kid's name is Auburn. I remember the days of Coach Evans at RHS.

Bruce Evans was an Auburn fan -- not Alabama and yep his kid's name is Auburn. I remember the days of Coach Evans at RHS.

I wonder if Bruce knew then what sand castles on the beach and Auburn football have in common.

I'm pretty sure that the song had been canned well before then. The issue in '87 was the fact that several Richlands fans were waving Confederate battle flags in the stands.

Big Blue - Dixie was played through the 1987 football season. Dixie was dropped after the 1987 season due to complaints from Va High. Big Blue was the same as it is today -- I loved Dixie -- never thought anything about it being inappropriate or offensive.

Anyone know who Honaker's coach was in 1979?

I have some Honaker football programs from 1981 and John Bartee was listed as head coach. Don't know how long he was HC.

Ironically, I was looking to see the info on the Honaker coach and came across another football program I had titled:

Ernie Hicks

Second Annual

Football Jamboree

Teams matched against each other were:

Richlands-Narrows

Richlands-Giles

Pocahontas-Honaker

#25 listed as a senior on the Giles roster, is none other than Greg Mance. Wonder who won that day in that match up? lol

#30 listed as a sophomore on Giles roster, is present day Giles Coach, Jeff Williams

Edited by tbgfan

• 4 weeks later...