Old area football helmets

hogo_sportz

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know back in 2000, whitewood's helmets was just like j.j. kelly's 1997-1998s. the colors were silver helmets, maroon logo and facemask

Thanks!

I just saw a Whitewood one recently from late 90's that was Maroon with a white mask and had the FSU Spear on it but I couldn't get the color scheme figured out.

I believe they went back to the solid maroon for the 98 season but had the FSU look for 95, 96, and 97. I think the spear was white where you have maroon and silver where you have it. I will try to find some old film to verify.

I believe they went back to the solid maroon for the 98 season but had the FSU look for 95, 96, and 97. I think the spear was white where you have maroon and silver where you have it. I will try to find some old film to verify.

That would be great. Thanks for the info on the years too, very helpful.

How bout some old school richlands Helmets?

From 1979 through 1981 the Blues wore a plain navy helmet with a white 'R.' Facemasks were gray.

For a good portion of the early '70s until 1979, Richlands wore plain white helmets. Occasionally (not every season) these featured a red -- yes, RED -- 'R.'

Going way back to the '60s (no precise timeframe), the helmets were silver with dark (navy?) player numerals.

Don't have quick access to photos, but these shouldn't be terribly hard to mock-up.

From 1979 through 1981 the Blues wore a plain navy helmet with a white 'R.' Facemasks were gray.

For a good portion of the early '70s until 1979, Richlands wore plain white helmets. Occasionally (not every season) these featured a red -- yes, RED -- 'R.'

Going way back to the '60s (no precise timeframe), the helmets were silver with dark (navy?) player numerals.

Don't have quick access to photos, but these shouldn't be terribly hard to mock-up.

What font was the "R"?

For the plain white helmets, was the facemask also white?

I'm assuming the 60's facemask was gray as most were...?

Edited by hogo_sportz

Guest The Variable

This is a bit selfish, but do you think you could do one that I could use as my Avatar?

Lee-Davis High School.

Lee-Davis.jpg

What font was the "R"?

For the plain white helmets, was the facemask also white?

I'm assuming the 60's facemask was gray was most were...?

Georgia font is pretty close for the 'R' in both cases.

To the best of my knowledge, Richlands wore gray facemasks from the time they were implemented until 1982.

You did a perfect job based on what I gave you. But I think I'm off on the fonts. The red 'R' was a little blockier than straight-up Georgia font.

The white 'R' was slightly different as well. Additionally, it wasn't very large and the placement was somewhat unusual. It was centered fairly high on each side. From the crown, the tops of the two 'R' logos were pretty close to one another.

But I'm just splitting hairs. An outstanding -- and very much appreciated -- effort on your part. My compliments to you.

You did a perfect job based on what I gave you. But I think I'm off on the fonts. The red 'R' was a little blockier than straight-up Georgia font.

The white 'R' was slightly different as well. Additionally, it wasn't very large and the placement was somewhat unusual. It was centered fairly high on each side. From the crown, the tops of the two 'R' logos were pretty close to one another.

But I'm just splitting hairs. An outstanding -- and very much appreciated -- effort on your part. My compliments to you.

I don't mind giving it another whirl. If you can find a font that the "R" more resembles, let me know.

Similar to Rutgers maybe?

http://mghelmets.com/big%20east.html

Similar to Rutgers maybe?

http://mghelmets.com/big%20east.html

Pretty close to it. Swap the scarlet helmet and white 'R' of Rutgers for a red 'R' on a white lid (with no outline on the 'R' and a gray facemask), and that's pretty much it.

Would have been a lot easier if I'd considered that description before. Sorry 'bout that.

Pretty close to it. Swap the scarlet helmet and white 'R' of Rutgers for a red 'R' on a white lid (with no outline on the 'R' and a gray facemask), and that's pretty much it.

Would have been a lot easier if I'd considered that description before. Sorry 'bout that.

No problem. I'll get to it later on.

And if you come across any pics of any helmets from our area, pass them along!