Old area football helmets

hogo_sportz

I know some of you really like what Mike Gardner does with helmets. With the help of a few others around the area, I've managed to get some old helmets with a few old photographs as well as from some defunct schools.

You can find a few other variations of helmets he has done here on my site:

http://hogoheegee.com/helmet_history.html

These are special requests I've made to him that a few of you might enjoy.

Chilhowie in the late 70's and 80's

chilhowie-1979.png

Marion in 1979 (not sure of the lifespan of this one)

marion-1979.png

Pennington Gap (not sure of the years here either, I think mid 80's

penningtongap.png

Jonesville (Also thinking mid early to mid 80's on this one)

jonesville.PNG

Please visit http://MGHelmets.com to see all of his work or if you have any personal requests. Tip him well ;)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a "dumb" question....but if I'm looking at the photos correctly.....what does the MT/TM stand for on the Galax helmet?

It's funny you ask. I had the helmet made from an image found in an old Chilhowie yearbook someone lent me for Hogoheegee.com. I saw a photo where Chilhowie was playing a team with that helmet. I looked up and down the schedule and couldn't figure out who it belonged to for a few minutes. Then it dawned on me that Galax (Chilhowie lost to them 21-20 in OT in the playoffs that year) are the Maroon Tide.

So yeah, a bit tricky.

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

The old Saltville Shakers. That was always my favorite school nickname growing up....lol

LoL...my dad was a Shaker back in the day (early 60's). Went on to coach the Rich Valley Steers for years and retired coaching at Tunstall home of the Trojans.

Also...I think the actual name of the HS in Saltville was R.B. Worthy. Been a long time but can someone confirm this?

Edited by BiGBiLL

LoL...my dad was a Shaker back in the day (early 60's). Went on to coach the Rich Valley Steers for years and retired coaching at Tunstall home of the Trojans.

Also...I think the actual name of the HS in Saltville was R.B. Worthy. Been a long time but can someone confirm this?

R.B. Worthy Shakers is correct. I lived in Saltville from age 9 to age 15 before moving to Richlands. I swear I remember one of the R.B. Worthy helmets having a salt shaker on the side pouring salt...seems I remember one year with a big W for Worthy on the helmet.

Edited by blueinbama

In Wva (correct me if im wrong) but isnt they a school names the Poca Dots? lol

Yes, Poca High School...Home of the Dots...turned into a pretty good rivalry with Bluefield in the late 90s-early 00s.

Old site...http://www.pocafootball.com/

Interesting stadium...sits right on the river with "Three Mile Island" as the backdrop...

ME-PocaHighSchoolandAmos04b.jpg

Railroad tracks go right behind the bleachers you see in the picture...trains will go through several times during a game.

R.B. Worthy Shakers is correct. I lived in Saltville from age 9 to age 15 before moving to Richlands. I swear I remember one of the R.B. Worthy helmets having a salt shaker on the side pouring salt...seems I remember one year with a big W for Worthy on the helmet.

That is correct the helmets had a salt shaker on them with the word Shakers in it. Not sure about the W one though. I remember the salt shaker one was around 1985 or 1986 . I played at Rich Valley against them when they wore those.

That is correct the helmets had a salt shaker on them with the word Shakers in it. Not sure about the W one though. I remember the salt shaker one was around 1985 or 1986 . I played at Rich Valley against them when they wore those.

I have a couple of those here: http://hogoheegee.com/content/view/376/80/

Send me an email if you have pictures of any ones I don't have. That goes for any school, ever.

I have a couple of those here: http://hogoheegee.com/content/view/376/80/

Send me an email if you have pictures of any ones I don't have. That goes for any school, ever.

I'll have to see if i can find any...lost my yearbooks in a fire years ago. I do know that in 1984 Rich Valley wore white helmets with a mustard yellow longhorn emblem (just like the University of Texas) on them. Then in 1985 we switched to maroon helmets with mustard yellow face mask and the same longhorn emblem as in 1984. 1986 RV helmet is the one i need a pic of for you it's hard to describe we had a new emblem for that last year before we became Northwood.

Guest zeus71
Yes, Poca High School...Home of the Dots...turned into a pretty good rivalry with Bluefield in the late 90s-early 00s.

Old site...http://www.pocafootball.com/

Interesting stadium...sits right on the river with "Three Mile Island" as the backdrop...

ME-PocaHighSchoolandAmos04b.jpg

Railroad tracks go right behind the bleachers you see in the picture...trains will go through several times during a game.

I played ball in college with a guy from poca. We all thought it was hillarious that they were called the dots. There maskot was a big red cricle I guess he was a dot.

seems like when we played Lebanon in the late 80s they had Lebanon or Pioneers written on their helmet...kinda like the old school Bengals helmets before the stripes....or maybe I'm thinking of someone else...