Fantasy Match-ups

Lobster

I guess we will never know. I dont know much about the gmen team but they would hae had to be able to stop the run and pass. 06 richlands team set records all season long through the air and on the ground. I think through the air is were the blues would have gotten them. Like i said i dont know anything about the 89 graham team tough.

How would 89 Gmen do against 06 Tornado?
I believe they would win. That defense was one that comes along once in many moons. It would be close, but I give the G-men the edge in this one. BTW, lets not forget the 2001 G-men. That was a pretty special offense as well.

I don't recall the 1989 Graham team (I was only 10 at the time), but have heard the many stories of how good they were. I would put the 2001 Graham team up against any team from any school from any period in Tazewell County football history though. Granted, they didn't finish the job in losing the state title to Harrisonburg, but they were an excellent team. The weapons they had offensively were sick. Graham may never see a team as good as that one again. They're easily the best team from Tazewell County in the last 20 years (1990-2009).

If we could look back, what was each teams stats. I don't know much of the 89 G team, but the Rhs team rarely played past the first set of downs or the first touchdown in the second half.

I would trust Gman's judgement. I would say he saw enough of both team. What you say Gman?

Edited by mrb

Graham's '90 team was a hell of a team. Back to back state champs had it not been for the loss of Roland and Dave to injuries in the playoffs. Dave was arguably the best OLB I've seen along with Mike Jude.

. They're easily the best team from Tazewell County in the last 20 years (1990-2009).

They lost to Blacksburg by 8 and beat Grundy by one (overtime) during the regular season, then lost by 14 in the state championship game. I don't see how that qualifies them as "easily the best team from Tazewell County in the last twenty years".

ouch bad memories should have beat that team, wide throw in the endzone going for 2. noway there the best taz. county team. not for sure what years Graves was at graham but surely they get some consideration.

Fantasy Match Up.

1974 Gate City Blue Devils with Rogers @ RB vs 1998 Powell Valley Vikings with Jones @ RB.

These are the two greatest SWVA HS football teams of all time.

I'd take the 1997 Appalachia Bulldogs over both of those teams. I believe they beat both Powell Valley (A Div 2 State Champions) and Gate City (AA State Champions) in the same year.

I'd take the 1997 Appalachia Bulldogs over both of those teams. I believe they beat both Powell Valley (A Div 2 State Champions) and Gate City (AA State Champions) in the same year.

PV beat Appy that year(97).

Best Defense to my knowledge in Southwest VA would have to be the 1965 Gate City team. Six points scored on them for the season.

Gate City 35 Pennington 0

Gate City 13 Appalachia 0

Gate City 27 Lynn View 0

Gate City 6 Wise 0

Gate City 34 Pound 0

Gate City 27 Clintwood 0

Gate City 58 Haysi 0

Gate City 52 St. Charles 0

Gate City 39 Powell Valley 6

Gate City 21- Coeburn 0

Fantasy Match Up.

1974 Gate City Blue Devils with Rogers @ RB vs 1998 Powell Valley Vikings with Jones @ RB.

These are the two greatest SWVA HS football teams of all time.

To me I think the GC 1970 team was better than the 74 team. Better defense along with a great offense.

Gate City 32 Powell Valley 0

Gate City 54 Appalachia 6

Gate City 44 Lynn View 0

Gate City 20 Tazewell 6

Gate City 38 Coeburn 20

Gate City 34 Ketron 0

Gate City 44 Central 0

Gate City 52 Graham 0

Gate City 44 Dobyns Bennett 16

Gate City 40 Elizabethton 0

Playoffs

Gate City 16 Dublin 0

Gate City 48 Altavista 0

Gate City 40 James Monroe 8

Gate City 56 Patrick Henry 12

Gate City 57 Abingdon 16

Gate City 40 Lynn VIew 6

Gate City 69 Tazewell 7

Gate City 41 Marion 12

Gate City 37 Graham 0

Gate City 62 Virginia High 12

Gate City 48 Richlands 12

Gate City 73 Grundy 6

Gate City 70 John Battle 15

Playoffs

Gate City 35 Radford 7

Gate City 71 Amherst 18

Gate City 28 Southhampton 7

Edited by applebarn

They lost to Blacksburg by 8 and beat Grundy by one (overtime) during the regular season, then lost by 14 in the state championship game. I don't see how that qualifies them as "easily the best team from Tazewell County in the last twenty years".

Most talented team? Definitely.

Best team? No.