Graham's use of Mitchell Stadium nearing an end?

Bluefield_Rules

Absolutely. I'm a civil engineer, I do things like this for a living. Someone mentioned $500,000 for a stadium, and I can tell you, that isn't going to get Graham a lot for that amount. A decent stadium will be $1 million plus, and I emphasize the "plus" part.

Location...there is the field at Graham Middle, and the one next to the high school. The field is one of the easiest parts. Bleachers are going to cost a lot. Does anybody really WANT those crappy old-style ones that people will fall through? There are solid aluminum bleachers (like the Virginia Tech north endzone), but they're pricey. And building solid concrete ones are even more expensive.

Then, there are facilities/dressing rooms for the visiting team, restroom facilities for the crowd, and concession facilities. I think you'd be hard pressed to do any kind of stadium for less than $800,000.

Maintenance isn't free, either. That has a real cost.

So, think about that...Tazewell County has to pay ZERO to maintain a stadium, and gets to use one for $37,000 a year? It would take 20+ years of paying that rent to even have the money to build a basic stadium for GHS.

Graham High and Tazewell County are free to do whatever they want, but I think it would be financial suicide to move out of Mitchell over what appears to be hurt feelings. Maybe some rich folks in Bluefield VA could start a capital campaign. Gonna have to have at least half a million to get started, I fear.

To be fair, I did say $500K+. ;) But it's nice to have that sort of perspective here.

However, that field at Graham Middle isn't suitable for a stadium. Lest we forget there's about a 20 foot slope leading up to the track on the west and south sides. Unless Graham wants the title of "Funkiest Looking Stadium in America", then that's not going to be it. The more suitable location is back behind the field, in the rolling fields to the east. However, there's going to have to be a LOT of engineering work to make that area suitable.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, 500K? If they can get anyone to talk for them for 500K, say goodbye to Mitchell.

WJHL had a story about half an hour ago.

The Science Hill AD and band boosters are pushing to build a new stadium in Johnson City to replace Memorial Stadium / Steve Spurrier Field. Partly because it's old and starting to show it's age and partly because it's a couple of miles from the school.

The story implied the cost for a replacement is around $5 million.

Want about something more, um, "concrete?" I checked my records.

A couple of new 3,000 seaters have opened in SW VA over the past couple of years.

Roanoke's new stadium at PH opened in '07 and cost $4.1 mil. (that incudes just over 500k for the art. turf).

Blacksburg's new stadium that opened out on Prices Fork last year cost $3.5 mil.

Here you go. TCPS is already up to its eyeballs in debt.

I'd be FLOORED if this happens. It's much cheaper to lease for $37K/year than put down $500K+ at once.

Who says they would pay it at once? Could they not take a loan and make payments monthly for around 37k a year?

Let me just pay devil's advocate. Lets assume TCPS could build a stadium for $500,000. (I really think the number would be more like $4,000,000.) If they borrowed the money at an interest rate of 5% over 20 years. They would need over $39,000 a year to pay off the loan.

Who says they would pay it at once? Could they not take a loan and make payments monthly for around 37k a year?

They'd have to do a bond issue to get the money. If the county school system is in bad financial straits, the money will cost more to obtain. As others have noted, $500,000 is probably the bare-bones entry cost, and honestly, it would probably need to be at least $800,000. I expect it would be a lot more, but let's say it is a VERY basic stadium for $800,000. I'll be generous and include the engineering costs in that, which would realistically be at least $50,000.

Borrowing $800,000 on a 20-year bond, at 4% would be approximately $60,000 per year. The school system then has another property to do maintenance on.

I think $37,000 per year (to lease Mitchell) is going to look like a bargain if they get serious about trying to build a stadium.

(edit) I just looked at the Blacksburg HS website about their stadium, and just the fieldhouse was expected to cost $500,000.

http://www.bhsfieldofdreams.org/BHSGoals.htm

The 5000 square foot locker room facility is estimated at $500,000

Sept01.jpg

Edited by BeaverHokie

The concessions at the stadium are put up for bid by the city of Bluefield. The city and the winning bidder contract for a specified sum payable to the city of Bluefield. The schools do not recieve any money from concession sales. I do not know about the gate. The BHS band boosters run the concession stand behind the pressbox.

I don't think the band was able to have the concession last year.

I don't think the band was able to have the concession last year.

Maybe not. Most of the time they do have it and I know they have it this year. Typically if they don't have it then it's not open. I was just making a point that 0$ goes to the schools from the concessions.

i just wonder what would the city of blfd do if they lost the 37 thousand from tazewell county.how would they make up the difference in funding. would they have to raise the price of tickets for admission or raise the cost to blfd or others that use the stadium.

They'd have to do a bond issue to get the money. If the county school system is in bad financial straits, the money will cost more to obtain. As others have noted, $500,000 is probably the bare-bones entry cost, and honestly, it would probably need to be at least $800,000. I expect it would be a lot more, but let's say it is a VERY basic stadium for $800,000. I'll be generous and include the engineering costs in that, which would realistically be at least $50,000.

Borrowing $800,000 on a 20-year bond, at 4% would be approximately $60,000 per year. The school system then has another property to do maintenance on.

I think $37,000 per year (to lease Mitchell) is going to look like a bargain if they get serious about trying to build a stadium.

(edit) I just looked at the Blacksburg HS website about their stadium, and just the fieldhouse was expected to cost $500,000.

http://www.bhsfieldofdreams.org/BHSGoals.htm

Great post, and I couldn't agree more with it.

And yes, TCPS is in fairly dire financial straits.

The new city manager, Merriman, isn't making friends fast in the area...he has already taken one in the butt over the Ridge Runner train issue...looks like he wants to be run out of town on rails...

I don't how much the city was going to charge VA residents for a "parking Fee" but and I know this might not be a popular idea but how about just charging each vehicle a $1.00 parking fee for every football game played at Mitchell Stadium until the city has enough money to fix the parking lot.

I thought their was already a "parking fee" in the price of the ticket...I know that there used to be, something like $.25 or $.50 per ticket.

Does anyone think that adding $1 to the price of the ticket to cover the "parking fee" is such a big deal??? Do you think an extra $1 is going to keep people from coming to the games, especially the Graham-Bluefield game??? Princeton-Bluefield game??? Graham-Tazewell or Graham-Richlands games??? I don't think so. Just raise the ticket price by $1, let the schools take their normal shares from the gate and give the city the extra $1/ticket...no big deal in my opinion...quite simple really...as long as that $1/ticket goes to a fund to repave the parking lot and not to Mayor Whalen's "flower fund"...

I don't how much the city was going to charge VA residents for a "parking Fee" but and I know this might not be a popular idea but how about just charging each vehicle a $1.00 parking fee for every football game played at Mitchell Stadium until the city has enough money to fix the parking lot.

People would find a way around paying to park in the stadium lot by parking elsewhere (Bluefield College, private lots and/or drive ways, and alongside Stadium Drive...a practice that I think needs to cease due to the congestion along Stadium Drive and the proximity of the Hospital) and walking to the stadium or by piling 8-10 people in each car that parks in the stadium lot.

Simply add an extra $1 on the ticket price, that way EVERYONE is helping to pay to repave the lot.

I would say most high schools in the country charge for parking. All the ones we played at in GA charged 5 bucks. Our high school there charged 5 bucks and had the freshmen dads take up the money as you pulled into the lot.

I thought their was already a "parking fee" in the price of the ticket...I know that there used to be, something like $.25 or $.50 per ticket.

Does anyone think that adding $1 to the price of the ticket to cover the "parking fee" is such a big deal??? Do you think an extra $1 is going to keep people from coming to the games, especially the Graham-Bluefield game??? Princeton-Bluefield game??? Graham-Tazewell or Graham-Richlands games??? I don't think so. Just raise the ticket price by $1, let the schools take their normal shares from the gate and give the city the extra $1/ticket...no big deal in my opinion...quite simple really...as long as that $1/ticket goes to a fund to repave the parking lot and not to Mayor Whalen's "flower fund"...

I think you're right in that the parking fee is already built into the price of the ticket (It may have been stated in one of the BDT OP-ED pieces today). I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if they actually tried to take up a parking fee at the entrance. They can't get people out of that parking lot until hours after the game; it would be sheer madness to try to get everyone into the lot if each and every car had to stop and pay a fee. Many people would probably miss the game because they were stuck in a colossal traffic jam all the way back to Wally World. If the idea of a parking fee ever came to fruition, the best idea is to simply add it onto the price of the ticket as you suggested. That way it's already paid for up front and the logistical nightmare would not happen at a Mitchell Stadium collection point.

People would find a way around paying to park in the stadium lot by parking elsewhere (Bluefield College, private lots and/or drive ways, and alongside Stadium Drive...a practice that I think needs to cease due to the congestion along Stadium Drive and the proximity of the Hospital) and walking to the stadium or by piling 8-10 people in each car that parks in the stadium lot.

Simply add an extra $1 on the ticket price, that way EVERYONE is helping to pay to repave the lot.

I know that their would be cheapskates that would do what you described and your idea would be better.

question,if mitchell stadium doesnt belong to either high schools,Graham or Bluefield does Bluefield pay 37,000 a year too?and are wv residents going to have to pay to park?if Bluefield pays to use this stadium like we do,then why should the va residents have to pay to park if wv dont?if your going to charge to park then make every damn car pay not just the ones with va plates.sounds to me like someones just wanting to stir crap up.make it even for everyone.whats fair is fair.id love to see Graham get a new stadium,but i dont see it happening unless i win the megamillions,then i know they will.lol this is just a BUNCH OF BULLHICKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the 1000th time, The Mercer County B.O.E. pays $37,000 for Bluefield to use Mitchell Stadium each season. A good portion of which is used by the city to cover the cost of operating the stadium on game nights.

What ever happened to the money they saved from putting down the rug, and not having to mow or paint anymore? Oh yeah, they already spent it. Take this for what it's worth, but a couple of years ago a gentleman who was very instrumental in putting down the rug told me they were looking into charging for parking. I was also told that the money the TCSB was paying the city of Bluefield was being put into a special fund so that when the carpet life was over (15 years), they would have the money to replace the rug, and rubber and sand underneath. So going on that assumption, 37,000 a year for 15 years is 555,000 dollars, which is about the cost of the rug with the prep work already being done. Why don't they just use the rug for 17 or 18 years and pay for the parking lot with the money they already have. If the city of Bluefield isn't very careful here, the TCSB will build a stadium. They already own about 500 acres of land across from Tim's BP on RTE 460. And they always have the middle school option. All they need to do is to try to gouge them some more and they will build, tradition or not........