Marrs was picked by Carlock

Guest lookoutmountain

Guest lookoutmountain

I see many of the Graham fans hammering Coach Marrs on a down season, and placing total blame on him for the bad couple of years at Graham. I don't see much talent on the field at Graham and wonder if the cupboard is bare. Remember this Graham fans, Coach Carlock had a wonderful top notch program, but he is the guy who had Coach Marrs as his head assistant and pretty much his head pick to take over the position. If you are going to blame coach Marrs, then you are also admitting Coach Carlock made a mistake because it was his choice. It seems like people are wanting to have it both ways. Back in the 70's,80,s,90's, early 2000's, you would see some big kids and lots of speed out there for Graham. They looked sharp and one could see the talent was deep. No offense to the players, but you could take Bill Walsh to coach this Graham team and he wouldn't win 2 games with them. They have no talent. For example, Graham got blown out by Bluefield junior high the other night. Is that Coach Marrs fault? Are people calling for the head of the junior high coach? Bluefield has become a town that has grown just a little, but economically has gained from the businesses that have came in during the last 10-15 years. The kids today aren't the same. Bluefield, VA, for the first time in a long, long time has a football talent problem. The greatest coach in the world will not fix that and that is the central problem that so many fans don't want to admit because that problem is one that could take 10 years or more to fix so people don't want to talk about it. Making a quick coaching change makes everyone feel better about a short term problem, but Graham has a long term problem..and that is talent on the field and talent coming up.

Guest lookoutmountain

Giles has nothing to do with so many ragging on one coach when the talent on the field isn't good. What you don't realize is...you just don't replace an excellent football coach like Carlock. Look at football at any level and we don't even need to go into examples, but when a great coach leaves, it extremely hard to maintain that level of consistency. I can agree somewhat on getting players out to play, but disagree on the junior high and talent. Graham had some weak teams in the 80's on some years as well as a couple times in the 70's, but overall the talent has been good. Still, everyone hits a low point in talent, and what you may not be realizing is...your town has changed in front of your very own eyes and the kids are simply not like they used to be. Perhaps that once rough, tough, hard nosed student base at Graham that reaked of determination from the student body has changed to a play station, soft, rich kid mentality. Afterall, isn't Graham good ini tennis and soccer now? Where you are wrong and from fans from Graham I've spoken with....Marrs was Carlocks right hand man. You don't make a person the Head Assistant without the assumption he's ready to take over the head coaching job if something happens. I recall Coach Carlock speaking highly of Doug Marrs in the newspapers when he was up for the Tazewell job. Don't tell me you don't remember that.

Is all I'm sayin is....many people are going to be in for a major shock if they change coaches and the level of play stays the same. The underlying fear that I'm sure many have in Bluefield is that ever present question of whether or not the talent is there. A 31 to zilch loss of the junior high to Bluefield isn't Marrs either. That speak again of a culture change in Bluefield. I wonder how the junior high tennis team did?

It may have a little something to do with Tazewell county closing the borders and not allowing anymore transfers, unless they PROVE residency. . Its only going to get worse, because now kids aren't allowed to pick schools before 9th grade unless they live in blfd va. No more bllly and brandon banks, milton byards, kyle harris's and many many many others to help out the gmen with their speed. This statement will probably piss off alot of gmen faithful , but it is true.

It may have a little something to do with Tazewell county closing the borders and not allowing anymore transfers, unless they PROVE residency. . Its only going to get worse, because now kids aren't allowed to pick schools before 9th grade unless they live in blfd va. No more bllly and brandon banks, milton byards, kyle harris's and many many many others to help out the gmen with their speed. This statement will probably piss off alot of gmen faithful , but it is true.

Sorry, but that was done to justify the closing of Pocahontas. Look for that to be relaxed soon. Don't believe that, look no further than the Johnson boys down at Richlands. You seem bitter about those kids leaving, sorry but there is only one football at Bluefield, they can't all carry it. Maybe there won't be anymore Will Cole's either.

Giles has nothing to do with so many ragging on one coach when the talent on the field isn't good. What you don't realize is...you just don't replace an excellent football coach like Carlock. Look at football at any level and we don't even need to go into examples, but when a great coach leaves, it extremely hard to maintain that level of consistency. I can agree somewhat on getting players out to play, but disagree on the junior high and talent. Graham had some weak teams in the 80's on some years as well as a couple times in the 70's, but overall the talent has been good. Still, everyone hits a low point in talent, and what you may not be realizing is...your town has changed in front of your very own eyes and the kids are simply not like they used to be. Perhaps that once rough, tough, hard nosed student base at Graham that reaked of determination from the student body has changed to a play station, soft, rich kid mentality. Afterall, isn't Graham good ini tennis and soccer now? Where you are wrong and from fans from Graham I've spoken with....Marrs was Carlocks right hand man. You don't make a person the Head Assistant without the assumption he's ready to take over the head coaching job if something happens. I recall Coach Carlock speaking highly of Doug Marrs in the newspapers when he was up for the Tazewell job. Don't tell me you don't remember that.

Is all I'm sayin is....many people are going to be in for a major shock if they change coaches and the level of play stays the same. The underlying fear that I'm sure many have in Bluefield is that ever present question of whether or not the talent is there. A 31 to zilch loss of the junior high to Bluefield isn't Marrs either. That speak again of a culture change in Bluefield. I wonder how the junior high tennis team did?

I am not one of those on here ragging coach Marrs, but I have been around the block enough times to know that a good coach is more than just what he does with the players on the field. I played for Coach Carlock, but wasn't born and raised in this area. When I attended Graham, football was a way of life. It was something that everyone took pride in, not just the players but the entire town. People wanted to play for coach Carlock...and I promise you it wasn't because he was a push over. Coach Carlock remains to this day one of the biggest influences in my life. It wasn't because of his ability to manage the X's and O's, but because he allowed me to be part of something that made me proud of who and what I was. It is true that the kids aren't the same as they were in the 80s when I was in school, but I still believe that a good coach creates this culture of taking pride in what you do and defending this pride to the end. Although Coach Marrs was on the staff when I played, I have been gone from the area for a while and can't speak about him currently. A good coach instills a fire in the heart of his kids that makes you feel like you are missing something big if you are not a part of it. Coach Carlock was not perfect, but he made me think hard about the kind of person I wanted to be when I became a man. He also set the bar very high for the expectations I have had of the coaches my three sons have had. Having said all this, the chances of a small school like Graham having a man and a coach like Coach Carlock back to back is kind of slim. If it is Coach Marrs' ability to contol the X's and O's, that is one thing, but if it is that kids do not want to play for him because he doesn't instill the sense of pride, teamwork, and honor that usually comes with being a G-Man, that is a totally different story. I don't know the answer, but I do know that men like Coach Carlock do not come along very often. I remember my first day of school when I sat with Coach Carlock to discuss the classes I was going to take. The first question he asked me was "do you play football boy?". From the second that I responded "yes Sir", I knew that I was a part of something special. Maybe the problem isn't that everyone hates Coach Marrs. Maybe the problem is that everyone misses Coach Carlock....I do.

Guest lookoutmountain

Your last post is a testament to how tough the situation Marrs is in. If you look at Marrs since taking over, he has a higher percentage winning record against Bluefield in his time than Carlock did. If you look at Marrs since taking over, the overall record is STILL comparible to Carlock's over the years. Coach Carlock had some rough yeara also. But you are right and your post is an example of how tough it would be for anyone to replace Carlock. I don't know or have the answers, but I do know this....the talent on the field at Graham High is simply not there. I've never seen them with so little talent. Graham has what, 41 players? Is that no comparible to what Graham has always had? Sure, they've had the occasional 50 plus, but aren't they usually in the 40's in numbers over the years. The chances of a change at Graham for coaching are there, but until the talent changes, it will make any difference on the field. Bluefield, VA, has done well economically over the past few years with the development along 460. More money in the town with more Coal and Business Owners moving into the Housing Developments along East River Mountain is a good thing, but does it affect the culture. The kid in 2nd or 3rd grade 10-15 years ago in Bluefield were out there playing tackle football and supporting Graham shirts with their buddies. Nowadays, they are in the house playiing Playstation. That is the problem with Graham football and that is a problem that no coaching change will fix. Welcome to 2009 folks. The culture change across our country is hitting home. Some of the culture changes are good and some are bad.

Sorry, but that was done to justify the closing of Pocahontas. Look for that to be relaxed soon. Don't believe that, look no further than the Johnson boys down at Richlands. You seem bitter about those kids leaving, sorry but there is only one football at Bluefield, they can't all carry it. Maybe there won't be anymore Will Cole's either.

Bluefield didn't need Will Cole. We were fine before him and will be long after.

Your last post is a testament to how tough the situation Marrs is in. If you look at Marrs since taking over, he has a higher percentage winning record against Bluefield in his time than Carlock did. If you look at Marrs since taking over, the overall record is STILL comparible to Carlock's over the years. Coach Carlock had some rough yeara also. But you are right and your post is an example of how tough it would be for anyone to replace Carlock. I don't know or have the answers, but I do know this....the talent on the field at Graham High is simply not there. I've never seen them with so little talent. Graham has what, 41 players? Is that no comparible to what Graham has always had? Sure, they've had the occasional 50 plus, but aren't they usually in the 40's in numbers over the years. The chances of a change at Graham for coaching are there, but until the talent changes, it will make any difference on the field. Bluefield, VA, has done well economically over the past few years with the development along 460. More money in the town with more Coal and Business Owners moving into the Housing Developments along East River Mountain is a good thing, but does it affect the culture. The kid in 2nd or 3rd grade 10-15 years ago in Bluefield were out there playing tackle football and supporting Graham shirts with their buddies. Nowadays, they are in the house playiing Playstation. That is the problem with Graham football and that is a problem that no coaching change will fix. Welcome to 2009 folks. The culture change across our country is hitting home. Some of the culture changes are good and some are bad.

Not really........Marrs record right now stands at 25-23 for a winning percentage of 52% over 4 years. And he has several more games left this year, most likely which will be losses. That will put him under .500 almost assuredly. Meanwhile Carlock went 244-119-1 over 32 years, for a winning percentage of 67%. The two are not even comparable. Carlock had 3 losing seasons in 32 years. Marrs will match that in five. And alot of people miss Coach, but alot of people just don't like Doug. And when you make a program uncompetitive such as Graham has become it tends to ruffle a few feathers. And by the way, you can beat Beaver all you want, if you can't beat anyone else it doesn't matter. What is his record against Mance? I'll will tell you 1-5, until the end of the month then it will be 1-6.

Doug is in dire need of an attitude adjustment, along with his all-American offspring. No matter what you've done in the past it doesn't give you the right to think you're better than everyone. I can tell you personally that Doug was 90% of the reason that all of the pocahontas students ended up on tazewells roster last year.

see what everyone thinks is that carlock wanted marrs to be the coach...wrong carlock wanted litz to be the coach but tcps never gave him the interview so when doug took interm he was just awarded the job...

There would be a dramatic improvement if one of the assistants that has too much control would be gone. Why Coach Marrs allows this guy to run as much as he does baffles me. Also, I don't think Coach Carlock would leave his varsity out there against other teams jv to get ran over or possibly injured. Especially in a non district game that Graham has no chance in coming back. Coach Carlock would've tried to get some younger kids some playing time and experience.

see what everyone thinks is that carlock wanted marrs to be the coach...wrong carlock wanted litz to be the coach but tcps never gave him the interview so when doug took interm he was just awarded the job...

This is true, they just handed the job to Doug bc the team had already started 2-a-days that year. What they shouldve done was let Marrs coach the first year after Carlock's death (r.i.p) and after that first year Graham shouldve put in job interviews for a Head coach. As for Doug's attitude, it's horrible, he thinks his s**t don't stink and he thinks that he is better than everybody. This is why i don't like the Marrs', because they think they are better than everybody. As for coaching, Doug doesn't kno what he is doing, for example 3 years ago my nephew played on Graham's JV team as a Freshman, they beat everyone and almost went undefeated, they beat Richlands and everyone except Bluefield. Now hes on the Varsity team and they are losing to everyone, you can't tell me thats not coaching problems, Because Greg Mance is sure doing a hell of a job with those boys down in Richlands even though they lose in JV

Coach Carlock and I were friends before his passing and I assure you HE DID NOT PICK DOUG MARRS. Fact my friend so speak that nonsense somewhere else. In my honest opinion it was his greatest worry, he never directly said it so this is speculation on my part. He spoke very highly of Litz and I feel the same way. Just my two cents. Everyone can believe as they choose. I will no longer take part in this discussion because there are no legs to this whatsoever.

Oh, and on a side not: Doesn't Coach Marrs pick the GMS coaches? Yes, I believe so. What was the coaching experience of the new GMS coach? Does he have any? Baseball coach and former baseball player, so he has his work cut out for him. But I do agree a much better coaching staff from the year prior. How about the year before? Did they? I think the resume is full of Little Leauge losses from the Chargers, maybe 3-37 in four years. Glad to see them gone. It's almost like they will take anyone that is willing to be a part of the circus, because anyone in their right mind would shy away from that position. Yes, even at a middle school level and sad to say yes, even at Graham.

We, as GHS fans do realize the talent is down on the football field. There is a ton of untapped talent playing other sports or no sports whatsoever do to the coaching staff in general. Fact. I have tried to talk many young men into playing football for a few years now and they all give me the same answer. I bet you can guess what it is. On a side note, you ever wonder why Coach would want his assistant to go to another SWD team if he was the obvious heir to the throne? I can. Because he wasn't the favored coach to take over. Don't you think CC would have used the old "I won't be coaching for many more years and I feel as though you could do a more than adequate job of filling my position." Nope didn't happen. He said I wish you the best of luck and I appreciate your years of service. Ever wondered why Litz came to Graham. Maybe because he was a proven winner with a State Champ. ring. Pretty good resume. There must have been some plan don't you think? And I don't want to hear how Litz is a part of this fiasco in coaching. All coaches have very little input except for one. It's not Litz. Wonder why?

Secondly,44 point a game down? Not a chance. 0-10 predictions, not a chance. 5-5 middle of the road talent sure. That was my first thought of the so called lack of talent team as you put it. I think middle of the road is what GHS fans predicted, but a loss to Grundy will surely prove to you that your argument is moot.

Edited by YOTD

Guest lookoutmountain

My concerns are still the same...if Marrs wasn't wanted as the Head Coach, and again, with Glenn Carlock knowing he was the Head Assistant, why did he keep him the Head Assistant over Litz? If what you say is true, why wasn't a change made? That makes me believe Doug was in fact the pick. If he wasn't a good guy as some have said in this thread, why would Coach Carlock keep hime around? Afterall, isn't Marrs a product of the Coaching and mentoring of Carlock? Surely, you can't deny that? I just sense that some are wanting their cake and desiring to do more than eat it too. Fact is...Coach Carlock did make Marrs the Head Assistant. Fact is...Coach Carlock did speak highly of and recommend Marrs for the Tazewell job He kept Coach Marrs around for years. If what you say is true about Marrs, aren't you questioning Carlocks judgement? If you aren't questioning his judgement, then you would have to agree keeping Coach Marrs around for years was a wise decision, correct? I mean...if integrity is the key foundation on which you speak, why wasn't Litz named the Head Assistant under Carlock if this is who he wanted to replace him? Isn't it a bit of a scapegoat to say their is talent in the school that will not come out for football? How many schools and coaches and fans could easily use that excuse if they wanted to? I would think many of them. If Graham makes a coaching change, little will change on the field until 10 or so years when the talent replenishes itself or gets better somehow. One poster was correct in that...there is no denying that the transfers from Bluefield in the early 90's and 00's did greatly help the Graham program.

Those chargers coaches that won so few games....and have failed to instill any basic skills are now on the sidelines at the Graham games....sorry to inform you YOTD. The Middle School actually had a couple of good coaches the past two years and were turning things around....but now they are gone...he reploaced them with one of his former players....

My concerns are still the same...if Marrs wasn't wanted as the Head Coach, and again, with Glenn Carlock knowing he was the Head Assistant, why did he keep him the Head Assistant over Litz? If what you say is true, why wasn't a change made? That makes me believe Doug was in fact the pick. If he wasn't a good guy as some have said in this thread, why would Coach Carlock keep hime around? Afterall, isn't Marrs a product of the Coaching and mentoring of Carlock? Surely, you can't deny that? I just sense that some are wanting their cake and desiring to do more than eat it too. Fact is...Coach Carlock did make Marrs the Head Assistant. Fact is...Coach Carlock did speak highly of and recommend Marrs for the Tazewell job He kept Coach Marrs around for years. If what you say is true about Marrs, aren't you questioning Carlocks judgement? If you aren't questioning his judgement, then you would have to agree keeping Coach Marrs around for years was a wise decision, correct? I mean...if integrity is the key foundation on which you speak, why wasn't Litz named the Head Assistant under Carlock if this is who he wanted to replace him? Isn't it a bit of a scapegoat to say their is talent in the school that will not come out for football? How many schools and coaches and fans could easily use that excuse if they wanted to? I would think many of them. If Graham makes a coaching change, little will change on the field until 10 or so years when the talent replenishes itself or gets better somehow. One poster was correct in that...there is no denying that the transfers from Bluefield in the early 90's and 00's did greatly help the Graham program.

The results speak for themselves the past few years. What you are saying makes no sense. Anybody who knows ANYTHING about Graham football knows that a change is needed. There is no lack of talent at Graham.....there's a lack of utilizing it. 3

Now this I believe....because the TCSB is notorious for giving people jobs without going through the proper channels. Let's not forget that Marrs applied for other coaching positions last year. I think he goes if he's offered a job elsewhere, problem is who would want him?

I think I answered all of your questions with my post prior lookout. It is a moot point to continue with such an unfounded argument. CGC did not decide who would be his successor due to the fact he was fighting for his life. I gave you my two cents and you can take it or leave it. I covered every basis of your argument to a T. Even explaining why CC would have supported DM move to Taz. Litz had only been at GHS a short time the move would have come eventually. It would have been a slap in the face of DM, in my opinion, had the move been made so shortly after Litz arrival. GC had much more class than to even think of doing that to DM. DM was a excellent ant fothright assistant. I my opinion, and my opinion only, he just does not have the personality of a good head coach. He does not seem to know how to treat players/people fairly in alot of aspects of his coaching. He is a good man with a good football basis, but I feel better suited to be a assistant and a excellent assistant at that. Another possibility would be to hire a coach that would adjust to individual player needs and help them better understand what is expected. The level of cockness is beyond me. Heck, If I was a young man I would not feel as though I had any input to determine my own future. I would feel as though it was the coaches team and I was blesses by God himself to set foot on the practice field.

It's like a five year old playing checkers, his older brother is beating him on a consistent basis, no matter how long the game continues the results are the same, yet the little brother continues to say "I'm better than you!"

That is not an insult by any means. He doesnt have that "thing" that makes kids want to give everything they have to make him proud. GC did. I'm not saying things can't change but there has been no sign of this ship righting itself to this point. I assure you my thoughts are based on logic and real life experience not just speculation.

Secondly, I think that footbal might have misunderstood my point. We are actually in agreeance over last years coaches being dismissed. My only problem with the choices for this year is the amount of time it will take the new coaches to grasp and correct the depth of poor coaching the prior years campaign will have left on the young men still playing.

Last, I sincerely hope that the GHS football team does not follow suit with their plan. It will only embarrass you and your team. There is no point in doing something that will be distastful to all of the individuals involved in your program. Football goes well beyond your coaches and what you think is right. Talk to your coaches about your concernes. Why be fearful of the repercussions? Things have already reached a low. What is the worst that could happen? You will still have your pride if you do things the CORRECT way.

Edited by YOTD

No transfers on that 1989 team

No transfers on that 1989 team

technically, wasn't that really talented rb who was injured late in the season from bluefield wv, can't recall who he was. But at least graham still earned the title without him so you can't say it made a difference, they were strong enough all around that it didn't make a difference in the overall success they had..

technically, wasn't that really talented rb who was injured late in the season from bluefield wv, can't recall who he was. But at least graham still earned the title without him so you can't say it made a difference, they were strong enough all around that it didn't make a difference in the overall success they had..

Tony Palmer or John Grubb? Doesn't matter, they were both from Bluefield,VA.

tony palmer, but if I recall he moved to bluefield va from wv, I could be wrong but don't think I am, but you're correct, it doesn't matter.

Nope, Palmer born and raised in Bluefield,VA. If he moved from West Virginia it was before he was 6 years old. Which really doesn't count if you are trying to count him as a Beaver.