Best football atmospheres

NewHampshireRed

Outside of Mitchell Stadium for a big game (Graham-Beaver), the best environment I played in was at Gate City. Those people really care about their team. I mean they really really care!! They had some kind of loud noise after touchdowns. I was last there in 84 so I cant remember if it was a horn or a cannon. It is packed and people surround the field. Just a great great environment for a high school football game.

Guest zeus71
Outside of Mitchell Stadium for a big game (Graham-Beaver), the best environment I played in was at Gate City. Those people really care about their team. I mean they really really care!! They had some kind of loud noise after touchdowns. I was last there in 84 so I cant remember if it was a horn or a cannon. It is packed and people surround the field. Just a great great environment for a high school football game.

It was the cow bells and legion's atmosphere is nice but the sand field not so much

Bluefield is going to give someone a heart attack with that cannon! Of course, we unfortunately heard it alot against my G-Men. A nice touch, it just shocks the heck out of you when it goes off. Even the bluefield fans screamed when it went off.

For food and the pa announcer you have to go to marion the food can not be beat and the PA announcer is the best around here hands down love going over there every year just to hear him come over the PA.

Parking wise probably Abingdon it is in and out no hold up at all you can get there at any time and always find a good parking spot do not know if that is a good thing for the falcons or a bad thing but either way good parking.

Fan wise Richlands and Gate City, Richlands can not be beat on the fan part of it but that is only if the team is doing well if they lose the Richlands crowd does not show haha. Now gatecity on the other hand i have not been to a gate city game that place was not packed and they were loud and just going crazy the entire game very very fun place to see a game at you guys at bluefeild will see what i am talking about here in a week or so not sure when that game is.

They had some kind of loud noise after touchdowns. I was last there in 84 so I cant remember if it was a horn or a cannon.

It was a whistle from an old steam engine...they didn't use it too much against Graham in '84 but there have been other years that it blew quite a bit...

You can hear it on this video at around the 2:00 minute mark or so...

Love the PA announcer at Marion. Reminds me of old horse racing movies.

Richlands is hard to beat WHEN it's a big game AND the Blues have their backs to the wall. I can remember a few games when the fans didn't let up from start to finish. It's electric when that happens.

I think the best single game atmosphere I've seen at EHS was the Salem game in 2004. It was a daytime game and one of the biggest crowds ever. It felt like a college game.

It was a whistle from an old steam engine...they didn't use it too much against Graham in '84 but there have been other years that it blew quite a bit...

In that video it was a set of Train Horns a guy has on top of his vehicle. The old Train whistle that was nick named the Big Blue Cannonball has long since departed from Gate City. Last I heard it was in some museum if that is true.

The whistle at the beginning of this video sounds about like the one used in the 70s and 80s. It may be it. The song was first sang at GC in 1970 I think but like the old Cannon Ball it too has not been around for a long time.

that guy in his other videos are funny as heck lol

The Sullivan South @ Gate City game was the best atmosphere I have seen in years. Not only does Gate City have a huge following but South does too.

It was very crowded at the South and GC game but as a Gate City fan it has been much more packed in the past. In 2004 when GC played Powell Valley there were almost 10,000 fans at this game. That is more than 2,000 more than at the GC, South game. But no doubt it was packed this year. There was a little over 7,000 fans there which is still by far more than 95% of the high school games you will see around here. It is a great atmosphere and I love watching games there.

Richlands vs Tazewell Game!

Exactly!!! Remember the game in 2006, RHS hadn't been scored on and Tazewell kicked a field goal just to break the streak. Justin McCracken and Caleb Jennings last year I think. That crowd was the largest I have ever seen at a high school game and I was at the Salem/Richlands game in 2004. That night in '06, I got there late and had to set in the grass over by the old field house. Could not see anything.

Exactly!!! Remember the game in 2006, RHS hadn't been scored on and Tazewell kicked a field goal just to break the streak. Justin McCracken and Caleb Jennings last year I think. That crowd was the largest I have ever seen at a high school game and I was at the Salem/Richlands game in 2004. That night in '06, I got there late and had to set in the grass over by the old field house. Could not see anything.

I was on the sidelines that night and i remember that feild goal like it was yesterday did not have the guts to go for it i think it was about 2 inches for the first down and they kicked the feild goal just to say they got some points it was 05 though because we remember 06 don't we tazewell 69-0

Stadium - Mitchell Stadium

NATURAL field - Virginia High

Music/Sound Effects - Fort Chiswell

Atmosphere - Gate City

Best Hot Dog - Coeburn (dont even argue about this one)....But the eagles nest at Rye Cove is killer.

Haven't been to Fort Chiswell, but you hit the others out of the park. Especially the food...lol