Bluefield WVA @ Gate City VA

Jason

JI Burton and Clintwood came off. We added you guys and Sullivan South. I honestly think Coach Colobro had been looking to leave for the past couple of seasons. He's at E&H at the moment. It was great to see him back on the field last night.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluefield definately needs their main signal caller(Beckett) back. Without him they are still a good team but are too one dimensional in my opinion allowing defenses to load the box more and have better success against the run. Something that won't get it done against good physical imposing teams such as Gate City. I wasn't at the game but just the impression I got from listening to it on the radio. Gate City to me seems like a class act with alot of pride and tradition for their football just like Bluefield and I wish them luck the rest of the season. Hopefully the beavers can rebound next week against Mt. View which on paper should be confidence booster game for Bluefield but we all know how those games can turn out. Throw everything out the window when those two teams meet.

truth is GC had a great team that played with a lot of heart.... The series will continue and hopefully our kids can welcome them to Bluefield I'm sure our fans will greet them with the Mitchell Stadium rowdiness.... God Bless both teams and all of our great fans.

I too hope the series is extended past these two games. I personally miss the trips up to Mitchell back when we were playing Graham for years. Great stadium and great atmosphere for HS football

Side note question...when Bluefield and Graham play i assume they alternate who is home from year to year but do they alternate locker rooms as well and what about the fans do they alternate sides of stadium from year to year? Also, does the college get compensated for the use of thier stadium or is it a city owned facility? Just being curious...thanks in advance for any repsonse.

Edited by BiGBiLL

city of bluefield, each school pays to use it for the year. They used to never be on different sides, bluefield was on the press box side even though they did have h and away teams for that games, but they changed that a few years ago and bluefield has been on the visitors side 2 times recently. I didn't care for that myself, it really changed a long traditional feel of the game.

I'll have to get "good directions" for up there next year. I get turned around in Bluefield every time I go up there...lol.

We'll hook you up with some directions!! Hopefully we can get each other on the schedule next year. If any of you Gate City players post on here or just stop by and read, I want to tell each of you congratulations!!! Players and coaches alike. What a dominating performance. To the Beaver boys, keep your chins up put this one behind you.

It wouldn't be GC without the horn and the cowbells...but hey, it makes it unique. I never thought it really bothered people tho...guess I was wrong. Either that, or some folks will find just anything to whine about or blame when the outcome of a game isn't to their liking.

I don't mind the atmosphere, a really intense crowd makes a game better, it's just that the horn is simply to loud for me that it detracts from the game, but then I admittedly have sensitive ears.

I never did mention that it was very classy of your alls coach to have them down the ball after recovering the fumbled punt with a minute or so late in the 4th quarter. I didn't actually see it or I would have likely thought to mention it before. That's definitely the type of overall program that I'd personally enjoy seeing bluefield play.

Our coaches have the mindset that "we have to go to their place next year". I was saying the same thing when we made the recovery..lol. I think both teams earned each others respect Friday night.

Figured the GC folks would want to see this:

Re: VHSL Ratings Released Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From valleysportsnow.com

Group A

In Group A, Division 2, Gretna (4-0, 1-0 Dogwood, Region B) is ranked No. 1 with a 23.500 rating and Gate City (5-1, 1-0 Clinch Mountain, Region D) is No. 2 with a 22.667 ranking. Clarke County (5-0, 0-0 Bull Run, Region B) is ranked No. 3 with a 22.000 rating, followed by Essex (4-0, 0-4 Northern Neck, Region A, 20.000), Chilhowie (4-1, 0-0 Hogoheegee, Region C, 19.800), Buckingham County (6-0, 0-0 James River, Region B, 19.667), J.J. Kelley (5-0, 1-0 Lonesome Pine, Region D, 19.600), Washington & Lee (4-0, 0-0 Northern Neck, Region A, 19.500), Appomattox (4-1, 1-0 Dogwood, Region B, 19.200), Dan River (4-1, 1-0 Dogwood, Region B, 19.200) and Glenvar (5-0, 0-0 Three Rivers, Region C, 18.400)

In Group A, Division 1, Holston (5-0, 0-0 Hogoheegee, Region C) is ranked No.1 with a 20.000 rating and Eastern Montgomery (5-0, 0-0 Three Rivers, Region C) is No. 2 with a 19.200 rating. Riverheads (4-1. 0-0 Shenandoah, Region B, 18.800) is No. 3, followed by Madison County (5-0, 0-0 Bull Run, Region B, 18.800), West Point (6-0, 0-0 Tidewater, Region A, 18.667), Hurley (5-1, 0-0 Black Diamond, Region D, 18.500), Franklin (4-1, 0-0 Tri-Rivers, Region A, 18.400), Clintwood (4-1, 1-0 Lonesome Pine, Region D, 18.200), Sussex Central (3-1, 0-0 Tri-Rivers, Region A, 18.000), Northumberland (4-0, 0-0 Northern Neck, Region A, 18.000), Altavista (4-1, 0-1 Dogwood, Region B, 17.600) and J.I. Burton (4-1, 1-1 Lonesome Pine, Region D, 17.200).

Figured the GC folks would want to see this:

Re: VHSL Ratings Released Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From valleysportsnow.com

Group A

In Group A, Division 2, Gretna (4-0, 1-0 Dogwood, Region B) is ranked No. 1 with a 23.500 rating and Gate City (5-1, 1-0 Clinch Mountain, Region D) is No. 2 with a 22.667 ranking. Clarke County (5-0, 0-0 Bull Run, Region B) is ranked No. 3 with a 22.000 rating, followed by Essex (4-0, 0-4 Northern Neck, Region A, 20.000), Chilhowie (4-1, 0-0 Hogoheegee, Region C, 19.800), Buckingham County (6-0, 0-0 James River, Region B, 19.667), J.J. Kelley (5-0, 1-0 Lonesome Pine, Region D, 19.600), Washington & Lee (4-0, 0-0 Northern Neck, Region A, 19.500), Appomattox (4-1, 1-0 Dogwood, Region B, 19.200), Dan River (4-1, 1-0 Dogwood, Region B, 19.200) and Glenvar (5-0, 0-0 Three Rivers, Region C, 18.400)

In Group A, Division 1, Holston (5-0, 0-0 Hogoheegee, Region C) is ranked No.1 with a 20.000 rating and Eastern Montgomery (5-0, 0-0 Three Rivers, Region C) is No. 2 with a 19.200 rating. Riverheads (4-1. 0-0 Shenandoah, Region B, 18.800) is No. 3, followed by Madison County (5-0, 0-0 Bull Run, Region B, 18.800), West Point (6-0, 0-0 Tidewater, Region A, 18.667), Hurley (5-1, 0-0 Black Diamond, Region D, 18.500), Franklin (4-1, 0-0 Tri-Rivers, Region A, 18.400), Clintwood (4-1, 1-0 Lonesome Pine, Region D, 18.200), Sussex Central (3-1, 0-0 Tri-Rivers, Region A, 18.000), Northumberland (4-0, 0-0 Northern Neck, Region A, 18.000), Altavista (4-1, 0-1 Dogwood, Region B, 17.600) and J.I. Burton (4-1, 1-1 Lonesome Pine, Region D, 17.200).

That poll is wrong I would think because Gretna has lost one game this year. They lost to LCA the 2nd or 3rd week of the year

That poll is wrong I would think because Gretna has lost one game this year. They lost to LCA the 2nd or 3rd week of the year

LCA is not a VHSL recognized school so the game does not count on their record, win or lose...