Illegal blocks by Georgia Tech

the watcher

The Va Tech Hokies sent game film of some illegal blocks in the game against Georgia Tech that were not called by the officiating crew.The ACC office said that it was obvious that at least 4 of these were chop blocks that were not called. Beamer,who usually does not sing unfairness a lot,plainly said on record that there were many more than 4 and that several were plainly purposeful against Kam Chancellor, who was instrumental in Tech shutting down the Yellow Jackets offense in the first half.Did this make a difference in the game?Obviously, in a 5 point game,this probably made a big difference and Va Tech would probably have won.My guess is that if the ACC said there was definitely

4 noncalls,then,like beamer said there was many more.What does everybody think about this?

Beamer also called Coach Paul Johnson to apologize for some of the complaints after the GT-VT game. Thought that showed a lot of class on his part. This was made a lot bigger then it actually is. Coaches throughout college always send in film on calls they feel were missed, this is not out of the ordinary.

I know I am in a minoroity around these parts, but I am not a hokie fan. I don't really wish them bad, but I just can't bring myself to cheer for them. I think there are two reasons for this -- One is I remember when you could show up at a VT football game on Saturday and get a ticket at the window - they had some solid faithful fans but it wasn't crazy like it is now -- It is now a band wagon. The other reason -- is my main reason--While I truely believe that Frank Beamer is a good man -- I think he whines way to much -- I would love to say to him -- You coach at a very competitive D1 school and no one is trying to get your job -- most love you -- so please stop whining.

I respectfully appreciate his complaint about GT - but ultimately Tech lost and I wonder if this same complaint would have been filed if Tech had won.

Yeah, it seems to be a pattern around the NCAA this year. Florida-Arkansas was horrible. TN-ALA had questionable calls and no calls as well. TN missed 3 FG's and lost by 2, so I'm not blaming the officiating, we shouldnt have been in that position.

Yeah, it seems to be a pattern around the NCAA this year. Florida-Arkansas was horrible. TN-ALA had questionable calls and no calls as well. TN missed 3 FG's and lost by 2, so I'm not blaming the officiating, we shouldnt have been in that position.
Good point, and I will put my 2 cents worth in here since you mentioned the Alabama - Tennessee game. There were missed calls on both sides. But the only calls you are hearing about are the ones that would have favored Tennessee. Julio Jones had a blatent interference call in the end zone missed, but that's part of the game. There were holding calls that went uncalled as there are in every game...one on UT's final drive that the guy shoud have been arrested on it was so obvious. But that's part of the human element of the game. Maybe it's because Alabama won that you aren't hearing anything from Bama fans, but Lane Kiffin and Ed O are getting a bad reputation for being crybabies instead of showing class and and moving on after a defeat. Everyone hates to lose, but it takes class to lose with dignity. Lane Kiffin could learn a lot from his dad Monte if he would stop being such a brat and crying every time things don't go his way, and suck it up and be a man. It's time to grow up, Lane. You're not a teenager anymore.

Every human will make mistakes. Everyone expects the refs to be perfect which will never happen. I cant say that I have never complained about a call, but that is part of the game and what the ref says goes. Yes they miss calls but they are human. We all make mistakes. Even if we had wished the outcome would have been different we can't change what has already happened.

The Va Tech Hokies sent game film of some illegal blocks in the game against Georgia Tech that were not called by the officiating crew.The ACC office said that it was obvious that at least 4 of these were chop blocks that were not called. Beamer,who usually does not sing unfairness a lot,plainly said on record that there were many more than 4 and that several were plainly purposeful against Kam Chancellor, who was instrumental in Tech shutting down the Yellow Jackets offense in the first half.Did this make a difference in the game?Obviously, in a 5 point game,this probably made a big difference and Va Tech would probably have won.My guess is that if the ACC said there was definitely

4 noncalls,then,like beamer said there was many more.What does everybody think about this?

There were probably holding calls against VT that GT turned in to the ACC that should have been called and weren't. Those no calls could have had an effect on the game too.

Officials will miss calls in every game in every sport against everybody. As a player and as a team, you control what you can control and that is how you play the game. You control how you put yourself in a position to win the game and you have take the outcome out of the officials' hands.

The GT game was almost two weeks ago and and if I'm not mistaking, isn't there a game in Blacksburg coming up soon?? Holy crap it's tomorrow night! The team, coaches, and fans better be worried about UNC and the present and forget about the past!

Guest BEAVERTAIL
There were probably holding calls against VT that GT turned in to the ACC that should have been called and weren't. Those no calls could have had an effect on the game too.

Officials will miss calls in every game in every sport against everybody. As a player and as a team, you control what you can control and that is how you play the game. You control how you put yourself in a position to win the game and you have take the outcome out of the officials' hands.

The GT game was almost two weeks ago and and if I'm not mistaking, isn't there a game in Blacksburg coming up soon?? Holy crap it's tomorrow night! The team, coaches, and fans better be worried about UNC and the present and forget about the past!

Spot on, ol' chap.

Otherwise, Georgia Tech will beat VT not once, but twice, this season...

Every coach could send film of missed calls to their respective conferences.....but they don't especially when they just got beat. VT could have played better on both sides of the ball and maybe have won that game. That's sad to complain like that.

"Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said today that the Hokies did submit film to the ACC for a review of illegal blocks during the Georgia Tech game, and that there were more than just the four previously mentioned.

“Yeah, No. 1, there was more," Beamer said. "And No. 2, the final touchdown was one of those plays on Kam [Chancellor] that should’ve been called. I think when it’s dangerous plays, we need to get that out of college football. That’s the ones that worry you, plays that could hurt a player.”

A source in the ACC office told me Virginia Tech did submit 11 plays for review (that's a fairly normal amount, but usually we don't hear about them), and the ACC agreed that its crew missed four blocking penalties against Georgia Tech in that game. Only one of them was a "chop" block, and I couldn't confirm that all of the violations involved Chancellor.

Before ACC fans get all worked up about officiating, though, remember that this is a small number of plays considering there are about 150 in the game, and league officials only found six of the 15 complaints that were turned in to be legitimate. (So, yes, Virginia Tech got away with some things, too.)

I'm told both Beamer and Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson were very professional during this process, and neither implied the game was poorly officiated. They were just looking for clarification. Of course, they also wanted to make a point, but they both know as far as the outcome of the game is concerned it's moot. Now they can use it as a teaching tool for their players as to what not to do. It's also a good learning process for the officials, and the mistakes are included on the weekly officiating tape that is shared with all officials and coaches."

-Heather Dinich, ESPN

Johnson's just pissed because he's being called out. He knows that most of GT's blocks encroach illegality. The ACC officials have been made aware of it. Ron Cherry's crew actually called a couple of them against GT vs. UVAg last weekend. And to be honest, I think Beamer is more concerned with the safety issue of going after someone's knees on a block than he is with the fact that the no calls may have cost VT the game.

Another thing the officials really need to pay attention to is the false starts by the GT O-line...they move early on almost every play...I guess they want to make sure they can get a clean shot on the defensive players knees...#71 does it better than anybody...

gt_cut2009_03_thumb.jpg

Some Alabama fans don't like refs either.....

This has harsh language, but funny as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e195wakW8g

Now that dude gives all college football fans a bad name. And to think Bama fans in Atlanta were calling Hokie fans ignorant rednecks and hillbillies.

The chop blocking technique GA Tech uses is the same as what Shanahan used for years with the Broncos. If your being blocked that way, you run a bigger risk of having a knee blown. My worry is when the defender is getting cut while someone else is already blocking them. Then they are defenseless.

Warning...more profanity. I guess we all have our idiots...Here's one for Vol fans: Love the orange pajamas!

Yep, I guess we've all got em huh? Whats worse is putting this on "you tube", taking God's name in vain and all. I was as upset as anyone but reacted in know way like this. The sun came up on Sunday. Back to Kiffin, if he doesnt take up for TN, then who will? I mean the guy can't order a pizza without it being reported on ESPN. No coach in the world would complain about the officiating in a game his team won. With that being said, TN is 3-4 and is the news every day. We are back on the map because of Lane Kiffin. The seniors on this team were quoted as being jealous of the underclassmen, because they get to stay and play for this coaching staff. There is an excitment for UT fans that hasnt been there in awhile. Im excited to see where this team is heading, even with a 3-4 record. The best example of Kiffins comments being taken out of context, and if I can find it, I will post it.

The day he was hired at his press conference, he said something to the effect that he was looking forward to embracing the traditions at Tenn, The Vol Walk, running through "T", and singing "Rocky Top" all night long after we beat Florida next year, you've all heard it. Thats all you see, after that he stated that Mike Hamilton told him to say that. This was a TN function, he was trying to fire up the crowd.

One is I remember when you could show up at a VT football game on Saturday and get a ticket at the window - they had some solid faithful fans but it wasn't crazy like it is now -- It is now a band wagon.

Why cheer for any team then?

Yep, I guess we've all got em huh? Whats worse is putting this on "you tube", taking God's name in vain and all. I was as upset as anyone but reacted in know way like this. The sun came up on Sunday. Back to Kiffin, if he doesnt take up for TN, then who will? I mean the guy can't order a pizza without it being reported on ESPN. No coach in the world would complain about the officiating in a game his team won. With that being said, TN is 3-4 and is the news every day. We are back on the map because of Lane Kiffin. The seniors on this team were quoted as being jealous of the underclassmen, because they get to stay and play for this coaching staff. There is an excitment for UT fans that hasnt been there in awhile. Im excited to see where this team is heading, even with a 3-4 record. The best example of Kiffins comments being taken out of context, and if I can find it, I will post it.

The day he was hired at his press conference, he said something to the effect that he was looking forward to embracing the traditions at Tenn, The Vol Walk, running through "T", and singing "Rocky Top" all night long after we beat Florida next year, you've all heard it. Thats all you see, after that he stated that Mike Hamilton told him to say that. This was a TN function, he was trying to fire up the crowd.

Kiffin got off on the wrong foot with several coaches and fans of other SEC teams, and if that was by design, then he deserves every criticism. I was really hoping after Fulmer was gone that UT would find a good coach, and that the Bama - Tennessee rivalry would be civil once again...always heated, but at least respectful of one another. When Johnny Majors was at Tennessee, I pulled for Tennessee when they weren't playing Bama. Fulmer changed all that. Now, instead of Fulmer, you've got Kiffin, and his behavior hasn't warmed the cockels of anyone's heart. The future will tell whether or not he can back up his brash statements. He's lucky to have a man like his dad running the defense...Monte Kiffin is first class. I just wish his son had half as much class. I've never been a fan of a loud mouth...so Lane, do your talking on the field, not in the press. And stop crying about the refs...everyone has their fair share of bad calls. Oh, and I agree about the YouTube thing...why would anyone let that be put on the internet? Someone must be trying to teach them a lesson. Edited by blueinbama

I quit being a maniac fan in 1985. Before that I was a rabid UK basketball fan from childhood until that time. But what happened that night in 1985 changed my view. It was the night UK was playing Georgetown in the final four. The Cats had played a crappy first half, and I was getting manic. They just had to win the game to have a shot for another national championship. I lived and died with the program.

In the second half, UK played the worst half of basketball I have ever seen. They coulldn't hold on to the ball, made stupid mistakes and were missing lay ups left and right. I believe they ended up shooting 9% for the half and 19% for the game. I was devasted for days.

The more I thought about it, the more I came to realize that I was letting a team and a game dominate too much of my life. From that point on, I have become more objective about it all. I am still a loyal fan and support my team, but when the game is over, I move on. There is alway another game and another season.

Warning...more profanity. I guess we all have our idiots...Here's one for Vol fans: Love the orange pajamas!

This is our old buddy from the Gate City/Sullivan South game. Remember the cigarette guy? lol

http://www.swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16416&highlight=Gate+City

Edited by BigBlueAlum

Johnson's just pissed because he's being called out. He knows that most of GT's blocks encroach illegality. The ACC officials have been made aware of it. Ron Cherry's crew actually called a couple of them against GT vs. UVAg last weekend. And to be honest, I think Beamer is more concerned with the safety issue of going after someone's knees on a block than he is with the fact that the no calls may have cost VT the game.

Another thing the officials really need to pay attention to is the false starts by the GT O-line...they move early on almost every play...I guess they want to make sure they can get a clean shot on the defensive players knees...#71 does it better than anybody...

gt_cut2009_03_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of a legal block all the way from high school through "the League".

High lows are illegal at all levels. The defender cutting an offensive blocker is illegal this year in high school and college (don't know about NFL). A blocker in college can cut any place on the field unless it is at the back of the knee or on a crack block. Arkansas tried the crack cut twice and were flagged against Bama. Hightower from Bama sustained a season ending knee injury on a legal college block.

i saw something on the bottom line on espn about it and said that ga Tech responed by saying that beamer was just mad cause he was out coached... did anyone else see that?