What Coach, If Hired by UVA, Would Scare VT Most?

I have two: Tommy Tuberville and Mike London.

Tuberville for the historical successes in the SEC. The last undefeated BCS team not to be included in the national title game, and beat his rival (Bama) like clockwork until Saban arrived. Unjustly fired at Auburn, IMO. The age is a concern, but the man can coach.

London for all the upside. He's won one, now closing in on two, NCs at Richmond for the FCS. He can recruit the Hell out of the Tidewater (and this alone should scare the Hokie faithful more than anything). He's young, and not getting all that many sniffs on the coaching markets.

What are your thoughts?

Of those choices, I'd have to say Tommy Tuberville. He's proven himself at the highest level...Mike London, who will someday be a fine head coach at the D-1/FBS level, doesn't have that sort of experience...yet...

London for all the upside. He's won one, now closing in on two, NCs at Richmond for the FCS. He can recruit the Hell out of the Tidewater (and this alone should scare the Hokie faithful more than anything). He's young, and not getting all that many sniffs on the coaching markets.

Is London an approved figure among the UVA fanbase?

From what little I've heard out of a few fans, it seems they want, and feel like they should be able to attract someone bigger than an FCS coach. If that is indeed the case, then I don't see them settling on anyone less that Tuberville. But if that isn't the case, then beggars can't be choosers! ;)

I kid, I kid. I'd gladly take London, or anyone else for that matter, at Marshall. And if you watched them last night, then you'd see why. I can relate.

Is London an approved figure among the UVA fanbase?

From what little I've heard out of a few fans, it seems they want, and feel like they should be able to attract someone bigger than an FCS coach. If that is indeed the case, then I don't see them settling on anyone less that Tuberville. But if that isn't the case, then beggars can't be choosers! ;)

I kid, I kid. I'd gladly take London, or anyone else for that matter, at Marshall. And if you watched them last night, then you'd see why. I can relate.

There are two majority factions. One of which wants Casteen and Littlepage to run down I-64 at 90 MPH to sign London immediately. The other one doesn't want anyone from Groh's tree, and legitimately thinks that Tuberville/Leach/Petersen/Kelly/Patterson are just going to waltz in and sign on the dotted line.

I don't like either outlook. I think there should be a calculated search. First, interview the coaches that aren't in jobs right now (Tuberville, etc.). Second, interview those who have expressed interest after their seasons are over (London, etc.). Act as hastily as possible, as every minute wasted is another minute that there is no one on the recruiting trail. Hopefully, someone can be signed by the BCS Title Game.

I'd LOVE to have either one of the two I mentioned above. Indeed, though, beggars cannot be choosers. UVA scored a nice hire in Tony Bennett, and I hope they can pull it off here.

The debate will come down to established coach v. up and coming coach. Both come with up sides and down sides.

Established coach knows the D1 drill, has won somewhere, probably can recruit and brings name recognition. On the down side has lost somewhere as well, may not have the fire in the belly, and comes with baggage.

Up and comer has a fire to succeed, may have an innovative approach, no baggage, has something to prove. On the down side, they don't know the D1 drill, may not have recruited at the highest level and lack name recognition.

Big name retreads who have been successful - Bobby Petrino to an extent, Les Miles.

Retread Failures - Spurrier, Ty Willingham

Unproven successes - Urban Myers, Paul Johnson, Frank Beamer, Brian Kelly.

Unproven failures - Many and usually unknown after 2 years.

For my money, I think you go unproven coordinator or 1AA (I will not call it FCS). Find someone who has been successful and give them time to build a winner (4-5 years)

Hey Observor...what do you think of the potential of UVA if we would get the coach from Buffalo....I think he would be a GREAT fit at UVA...I know he doesnt have the BIG time college experience...but I think he could really get the job done...

Hey Observor...what do you think of the potential of UVA if we would get the coach from Buffalo....I think he would be a GREAT fit at UVA...I know he doesnt have the BIG time college experience...but I think he could really get the job done...

Turner Gill will be heading to Nebraska in a few years afte Bo Pellini has a couple more mediocre seasons...

Turner Gill will be heading to Nebraska in a few years afte Bo Pellini has a couple more mediocre seasons...

Gill may be there as offensive coordinator very soon. Nebraska's D is stout, but the offense these days looks pathetic.

He was the QB coach at Nebraska when Tommy Frazier and Eric Crouch played, both ended up being 1st team All-Americans and Crouch won the Heisman. Nebraska also won three national championships while Gill was an assistant there. Not to mention the fact Gill was a great QB in his own right back in the day for the Cornhuskers.

You're right, he may be at Nebraska soon as the OC but I can tell you for sure, if Pellini has a few more so-so seasons, Gill will be their next head coach...especially if Tom Osborne is still the AD when that time comes...he was Tom's boy back in the early 80s...

Phillip Fulmer. He has openly stated that he would like to coach again. This move wouldnt be all that bad for his family either.

I suspect he will end up at UVA or Louisville. I cant think of any SEC jobs that will be available.

I have doubts about Gill's ability as a HC. I know, he did well at Buffalo, but it seems like any old team can have their "season in the sun" in the MAC (Temple). He's sputtering badly this season. Personality-wise, GREAT fit. Xs-and-Os, not so much, I'm afraid.

Phillip Fulmer. He has openly stated that he would like to coach again. This move wouldnt be all that bad for his family either.

I suspect he will end up at UVA or Louisville. I cant think of any SEC jobs that will be available.

And Fulmer's really the opposite. Good Xs-and-Os, good recruiter, VERY poor fit personality-wise.

Fulmer would fit right into the ACC. An all running, no quarterbacking league that bombs out in big bowl games. Yeah, hire Phil.