Mayor Whalen's quote in the paper this morning...

From the BDT...

"Our city manager has said all you have to do is get a garbage can, put it in a garbage can and we'll come and get it. I hope that is what the people will do. It's a health issue. You need to have your garbage in a garbage bag in a can."

REALLY, Mrs. Mayor??? "A health issue"???

The "health issue" is that the city has left garbage bags laying around on the streets. Do your job and pick up the garbage...a service which ALL residents of Bluefield are required to pay for.

From the BDT...

"Our city manager has said all you have to do is get a garbage can, put it in a garbage can and we'll come and get it. I hope that is what the people will do. It's a health issue. You need to have your garbage in a garbage bag in a can."

REALLY, Mrs. Mayor??? "A health issue"???

The "health issue" is that the city has left garbage bags laying around on the streets. Do your job and pick up the garbage...a service which ALL residents of Bluefield are required to pay for.

You would have thought that a better way to handle this is issuing the citations/warnings to each place that didn't have garbage in cans. Leaving bags of garbage out doesn't get a point across. It makes the problem a lot bigger!

My Brother-in-Law told me that he heard a rumor that residents of a certain street in Bluefield were going to dump all of their trash onto the street on the day of the pick-up during the week of the Mountain Festival.

This is one of the dumbest things I ever seen a city/town do....how they can justify leaving piles of garbage laying around is unimaginable. If it's not loose garbage...and it's in a bag....pick it up.

I've seen this before. The problem is probably not trash in trash bags per se, it is when they are being put out for pick up. If you leave a trash bag out overnight, there is a very good chance that crows, dogs, cats, raccoons, possums or other critters will tear it open and strew it around.

Many towns take different approaches to this. Some prohibit trash to be put out more than 6 or 8 hours before pickup. Some take the Bluefield WV approach and just ban bags. I have felt for years the best solution is to mandate a specific container that is rolled to the curb. (Yeah, like was mentioned before for Celebration FL.) It is used in cities of all sizes across the country. The cities that resist this approach either don't want to pay the up front cost for the containers, or don't want to pass the cost on to the citizens directly.

Still, as with all controversial issues you have to be out front educating and explaining why something is being done. If you make the case and an informed public still opposes the issue, then the manager and board should reevaluate.

My Brother-in-Law told me that he heard a rumor that residents of a certain street in Bluefield were going to dump all of their trash onto the street on the day of the pick-up during the week of the Mountain Festival.

That will make things worse

I agree it's not a good way of making a point, the reason being it makes it really hard on the city workers who do garbage routes and will have to clean it up, they'll probably leave it anyhow, till the people who are responsible for these rules, who won't be getting their hands dirty, will make them do it. It makes a point but it really punishes the wrong people. A better point could be made by all of these residents simply not paying citations, demanding refunds for the weeks garbage wasn't picked up, and showing up at the next city meeting and being very vocal about it and so on. There's a time for not being civil, eventually, but not when there are more civil answers already at hand. Only my opinion.

As for here, I didn't about this till I read it here, not any problems with my garbage in bags only being picked up recently, even yesterday, maybe this is more selective here and there? I don't know, but I do know this, it's a dirty job, I even did it for months when I was very young and just out of the army for the first time, and I tip the garbage men well at christmas and thanksgiving, and some other time during the year I give them each 5 bucks, and say thanks. Maybe that's why my garbage in bags is still being picked up and I didn't even know there was a problem.

Regardless, I don't tip for perks, I just do it because it can be a dirty job that is sometimes not appreciated as much as it should be and in my opinion they aren't paid enough for doing it around here anyways..

The problem is probably not trash in trash bags per se, it is when they are being put out for pick up. If you leave a trash bag out overnight, there is a very good chance that crows, dogs, cats, raccoons, possums or other critters will tear it open and strew it around.

As if leaving it on the street because it isn't in a can is any better????

ok so you guys need to just vote the people running the show out of office next go around...this is the dumbest thing i've heard in a long time.

I tried voting them out last time, especially the Mayor...

I was considering taking my trash and leaving it in Merriman's yard......but I figured if I did that...I'd never get my trash picked up or get my street plowed....wait a minute....that's already happening.