When is our new field being put in?

Falconman

Everybody is getting a new field - Honaker (did), Richlands (did), and now Battle? But when is Abingdon? They said that they were gonna fix the current one after screwing it up. Does anyone know when this will be? I mean, the band hall construction is in full swing, but when is the bread and butter of Falcon Nation going to be fixed? Is it possible we could get turf?

Abingdon will get a new one alot quicker than grundy, thats for sure. Lot more money over that way. But in all seriousness, hope you do get a new one, though, i actually loved playing there, good times.

Abingdon will get a new one alot quicker than grundy, thats for sure. Lot more money over that way. But in all seriousness, hope you do get a new one, though, i actually loved playing there, good times.

It's ironic though that most of the money in Abingdon came from Grundy lol.

why exactly does everyone want to play on fake fields? Why does everyone think they are so great? I really want to know, is it a keeping up with the jonses kind of thing or what?

I love grass and think that in a small way field turf steals some of the soul of the game!

Guest zeus71
why exactly does everyone want to play on fake fields? Why does everyone think they are so great? I really want to know, is it a keeping up with the jonses kind of thing or what?

I love grass and think that in a small way field turf steals some of the soul of the game!

I agree if your talking about college or pro but in high school when the coaching staff is also the ground crew you have a lot better playing surface in the long run with field turf. Its a soft safe consistent surface but if you can maintain grass there is nothing better. Abingdon is going with bermuda sort of like VHS.

I know that Honaker and Richlands have new fields because a local company helped them get the funding and did a lot of the prep and installation. I believe the owner of the same business helped Lebanon and is supposed to help Castlewood because he is on the BOS in Russell County. (His business is located in or around Richlands.) Why doesn't someone in Abingdon do the same for your schools? There are lots of schools in the area with a lot less community resources and funding who need new fields or improvements, so where does that leave them?

I realize this post may seem a little smart-alecky, but it wasn't meant too be. Just stating what I know about the situation.

Guest zeus71
I know that Honaker and Richlands have new fields because a local company helped them get the funding and did a lot of the prep and installation. I believe the owner of the same business helped Lebanon and is supposed to help Castlewood because he is on the BOS in Russell County. (His business is located in or around Richlands.) Why doesn't someone in Abingdon do the same for your schools? There are lots of schools in the area with a lot less community resources and funding who need new fields or improvements, so where does that leave them?

I realize this post may seem a little smart-alecky, but it wasn't meant too be. Just stating what I know about the situation.

Good question. If everyone had one of those fields there would be no need to argue with the soccer team every year about using the field. If no damage is done then let em play. If damage is done to the teams field that supports the whole athletic program, then its a no brainer no kick ball on football fields.

Guest zeus71

Abingdon made the mistake of trying to appease the soccer parents and taking the crown off a field that sits in a big valley, so that it would be easier to play soccer on. Now they are going to fix the torn up swamp of a field and replace the crown.

this all started with Bluefield's stadium getting the turf...which they needed...that field see's a lot of action and was a great investment.

Richlands and Honaker were lucky enough to get theirs donated...can't beat that...wish more companies would do this sort of thing.

Grundy could sure use one as big ole' cotton said...although it's come a long way since it was like playing on a gravel parking lot, it's still a mess at the end of the year due to the amount of rain and playing time it gets...turf field would be great there.

bottom line is that any school who is offered one of these as a gift would be crazy to pass on it.

same goes for my post passerby.

I knew that richlands and honaker were helped out alot if not completly by EMATS and I can see bluefields because of the heavy wear.

The mud and muck IS football and I have played on rough fields, hurleys was always slop, honakers was rough (it was mud with small gravels mixed up in it) I played at JI Burton once and some of the ruts in the mud were 6 inches deep. I understand replacing the fields that see heavy traffic (bluefield) or are terrible (honaker) but just go down to a school like appalachia and ask them what they think about their field, its rocky and is short on grass but they love it. I dont understand the schools that have good fields wanting one. I juess im just a little old fashioned, dust in september and mud in november sounds great to me! thats football

One of the nicest fields around is clintwoods, it feels like carpet!

But I do understand that if a school is offered one it would be kind of crazy to say "no thanks" i just dont understand lusting after one

Edited by redtiger

The fields at Richlands and Honaker were constructed by "Southwest Virginia Athletic Facilities Foundation" which was founded by EMATS President and CEO, Jon Bowerbank. Most of the funding and nearly all of the work was provided by EMATS.

The field at Richlands is now two years old and hasn't been mowed once. No watering, no seeding, no rolling, no painting. It's flat, it's fast, it's safer than grass, and it can drain more water than will ever fall on it. It's worth it's weight in gold and I would like to see more schools have it installed.

The fields at Richlands and Honaker were constructed by "Southwest Virginia Athletic Facilities Foundation" which was founded by EMATS President and CEO, Jon Bowerbank. Most of the funding and nearly all of the work was provided by EMATS.

The field at Richlands is now two years old and hasn't been mowed once. No watering, no seeding, no rolling, no painting. It's flat, it's fast, it's safer than grass, and it can drain more water than will ever fall on it. It's worth it's weight in gold and I would like to see more schools have it installed.

Richlands field didn't get as bad as Grundy's did near the end of the season, but it was close...they have always had water issues with the field before the new one went in.

Yes, it would be great if all schools had one of those fields. But, who is going to pay for them. I know Mr. Bowerbank is not going to be able to help every school in SWVA get one. Bigger communities like Abingdon have bigger companies and better economic situations than Buchanan and Dickenson counties. I know the football fields in Buchanan and Dickenson are worse than Abingdons, so if it is based on need, they should get them. But it is not based on need, it is based on finances and who will donate the money, materials and manpower.

If you really want the fields and can get the funding, then that is great. But if you can't, then make whatever improvements you can afford and enjoy Friday night football and support your local teams, not their fields.

Yes, it would be great if all schools had one of those fields. But, who is going to pay for them. I know Mr. Bowerbank is not going to be able to help every school in SWVA get one. Bigger communities like Abingdon have bigger companies and better economic situations than Buchanan and Dickenson counties. I know the football fields in Buchanan and Dickenson are worse than Abingdons, so if it is based on need, they should get them. But it is not based on need, it is based on finances and who will donate the money, materials and manpower.

If you really want the fields and can get the funding, then that is great. But if you can't, then make whatever improvements you can afford and enjoy Friday night football and support your local teams, not their fields.

Well he was going to put it in Tazewell as well, till the Town of Tazewell sued them.

private funding, he can put them where he wants...or offer anyway...nothing says he has to put in another one at all and its pretty awesome I think he has done what he has so far...would be great to drop million dollar field turf all over the area, but one man can only do so much...would be nice to see some of the other companies (who have been operating around here making billions of dollars while they rape the land and give back nothing more than low paying jobs to the people who break their backs making them money)...would step up and do something like this.