Carroll County - Abingdon SWD Tourney Championship

tbgfan

Carroll County - 0

Abingdon - 1

After 1 inning

Abingdon - 1 run, 1 hit, no errors, 3 LOB

L. Hilt - single, stolen base (thrown out at home by C. Rosen, Carroll County centerfielder)

J. Barker - run walked in

Alex Ousley starting pitcher for Cavaliers relieved by Garrett Nelson with 2 outs, after 4 BOB's and run walked in

Edited by tbgfan

Carroll County - 0

Abingdon - 1

After 1 1/2 innings

Carroll County - no runs, 1 hit, no errors, none LOB

J.. Lamb hit a solo homerun, but failed to tag homeplate and was called out and run came off board.

Edited by tbgfan

Carroll County - 1

Abingdon - 4

After 6 innings

Abingdon - 3 runs, 2 hits, no errors, 1 LOB

T. Shrewsbury - SAC with RBI (scoring H. Shelton)

L. Hilt - infield single and RBI (scoring Nadler)

J. Barker - s/u double and RBI (scoring Hilt)

Garrett Nelson relieved by Anthony Rosenbaum with 2 on and no outs

Anthony Rosenbaum relieved by Lee Underwood after 3 runs scoring

It's a shame that the solo homer had to come off the board for Carroll County. A 2-1 deficit is a MUCH different thing than a 1-1 tie in the late innings. Abingdon responded, and that's what champions do.

Congratulations to Abingdon, and best of luck to both in Region play!

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/sports/high_school_prep/high_school_baseball/article/witt_helps_falcons_post_swd_tourney_win_over_cavs/46849/

excerpt:

Looking like a bunch of champions, the opportunistic and top-seeded Falcons received outstanding pitching from Zach Witt to outclass second seed Carroll County, posting a 4-1 victory to claim the Southwest District tournament title at Falcon Park.

Guest Woolybugger
How do you hit a homerun then forget to touch home plate???

It happened to me once. I hit one ball out of the park my whole high school career. I got close to the plate and kinda veered into my teammates, coming from the dugout. Fortunately, one of them grabbed my arm and pulled me to the plate. Probably said something like, don't forget the flat one, dumb*ss.

It happened to me once. I hit one ball out of the park my whole high school career.

Glad I'm not the only one who had a grand total of one career HR in high school...LOL...

Mine came at Richlands on the old field by the football stadium my senior year. We played them at 1 PM and they let the students out to watch the game, they were lined all the way around the fence. Richlands' field was unique in that for about 100 feet from the left field line to a pole in left field, if you hit the ball over the fence it was only a double (real short). I hit mine to one of the deepest parts of the field and it was a "no doubter" from the time it left the bat. Don't have any clue where all that "power" came from although I give some of the credit to the pitcher who served up the fat fastball...he was throwing real hard and I just made really good contact with it. One thing I did make certain of...touching all the bases and home plate...did a two-foot plant on home plate. Too bad we lost that one 2-1 on a 2-run error with two outs in the bottom of the 7th...

See I just don't understand why the called him out, this may spark a argument but so be it. He hit the ball over the fence so there for the play should be dead, there no way of getting him out so where is it such a big deal to hit home plate? Now if there was a runner on 3rd and somebody hit a single and he didn't to touch homeplate then it would make since because the play was never dead but on a homerun...come on. Sounds like alot "nick-picking" as my dad would say.