Scrimmages in Bristol on Friday...

Lance

I'm planning on going to the scrimmages in Bristol on Friday...going to try to take a bunch of pics...if any of you want pics of a certain kid let me know what # and who they play for and i'll try to get you a few pics if possible while I am there. I know parents get to watching the games and don't have time to take a lot of pics sometimes...so figured I would offer to take a few pics for people if they want them.

Let me know...you can post here or send me a PM if you would rather do that...but, make sure you give me the jersey number because I won't know any of the kids names.

Jamboree @ Virginia High

George Wythe vs. Virginia, 5 p.m.

Gate City vs. Graham, 6:15 p.m.

Graham vs. Powell Valley, 7:30 p.m.

Gate City vs. George Wythe, 8:30 p.m.

Powell Valley vs. Virginia High, 9:45 p.m.

I'm planning on going to the scrimmages in Bristol on Friday...going to try to take a bunch of pics...if any of you want pics of a certain kid let me know what # and who they play for and i'll try to get you a few pics if possible while I am there. I know parents get to watching the games and don't have time to take a lot of pics sometimes...so figured I would offer to take a few pics for people if they want them.

Let me know...you can post here or send me a PM if you would rather do that...but, make sure you give me the jersey number because I won't know any of the kids names.

Jamboree @ Virginia High

George Wythe vs. Virginia, 5 p.m.

Gate City vs. Graham, 6:15 p.m.

Graham vs. Powell Valley, 7:30 p.m.

Gate City vs. George Wythe, 8:30 p.m.

Powell Valley vs. Virginia High, 9:45 p.m.

Have a safe trip down.

Somebody let the rest of us know how it goes.

Hey Lance,

How about giving us a little write up on the teams that are there. Looks like some pretty good game/scrimmages that will happen. I'd love to go myself but I'll be going to watch my blues play Bassett.

I'll tell you one thing though, the traffic in Bristol might be tough with the race and the scrimmages going on !

Oh yea. Traffic will be terrible. I love going to the Night Race, but God do I hate that traffic. And the 1.2 mile walk back to my car from the track after the race is over.

Yea.....me too. I love the Bristol night race and use to never miss one.

It's a mess down there in the campgrounds right now with all the rain they got last night & today. I saw were they had to evacuate some of the campers out of 1 or 2 of the campgrounds because of the flooding.

I think/hope that by the time the Nationwide race is over on Friday night the scrimmage will be over and the folks at the games wont have to fight with the race traffic.

yeah...track is on the other side of town, so shouldn't be any problem until after the race is over....even then they route all of the traffic so that all lanes lead out of Bristol to I-81

last 1 was to start at 9:45, so it might be over by now

They were playing 3 12-minute quarters instead of 2 (third one was JV) and the last game didn't get started til about 10 or later, so it might be ending about now (I left early). I missed the first two games, but from what I saw, the teams there didn't impress me that much. Some were good (like Gate City and George Wythe as always), but there weren't as good looking as people have made them out to be IMO. Anyone there can be beaten, nothing super amazing. Heard VA High took some injuries though in the first game.

Also, George Wythe looks the smallest I've ever seen them. About all their players looked just tall and skinny, not much size. GC had some pretty good sized linemen, so it looked kind of awkward when they played each other in the fourth game. GW's pretty fast though.

I missed all but 2 minutes of the first game. Got there in time to GC play the G-men. Gate City scored very easily on it's first two posessions, one long Clark run and a screen pass. Graham has good backs and ran against the Devils and made it 13-7 after an interception gave them great field position. They also held GC and a shanked punt gave them the ball on GC's 25 or so, they scored again to make it 14-13. GC went to the fullhouse and drove right down the field and scored, made it 20-14, GC scored again to make it 27-13 after taking over near midfield with about 2 minutes to go in the second quarter. The 3rd quarter GC managed to get a FG and won 30-14.

Was happy to GC work out of several sets on offense and still be able to pound it out when needed. The Defense didn't look great in the first quarter, but i'm not sure who all were playing to be honest. Graham reminds me (backs) of some of the early 90 teams, they have a few nice looking kids.

Graham and Powell Valley was an interesting game to watch, with both teams moving the ball pretty well, i honestly can't remember who scored and what part of the 3 quarters. Sorry was eating at the time :)

Against GW, GC's Offense took it right at them and took 8 minutes grinding out the clock and scored to make it 7-0. GW took to the air nearly every play in a drive ending in a td to make it 7-7. GC handled them for the most part of the 2nd quarter scoring 14 and the defense looked a lot better. The quarter was full of penalties on both teams. GW used the entire 3rd quarter against GC and scored with only :40 left on the clock when GC took over, GC got 12 yards on two carries and it was over.

I liked what i saw from a GC perspective, we got to work on several things and used multiple sets. We threw the ball well in the second game and got the defense a little work too. GC's first team won 27-14, and 21-7 in the halves it played. No injuries that i saw, which is big in a jamboree like this.

What is the deal with GW and having no numbers? I understand the whole "we don't want scouts to know our numbers, blah blah" If that's the case don't run trick plays where a player stands on the sideline and then runs for the pass. It is cheesy at best. They are really quick and have good skill position kids, but i see them having no chance stopping many teams on defense. They had a few good runs on reverses, but they are definately small.

i will put up more later...but i will say that Gate City was a shock to me...i dont know if they have lost the kids that were huge from last year but size looks like its down and way down to me from last year? Maybe one of you GC guys would know for sure.

GC looked good at times...but if they show up like that next week against Richlands, it's not going to be much of a game...I don't know if GC was holding back or what but I expected a LOT more than I saw.

They are a good team, dont get me wrong here...but I was expecting more of what i saw last year in size...and it was not there...unless they are sand bagging I would have to go with Richlands by at least 14+

Smallest i have ever seen at Graham, i am so used to the "old" GC/Graham type games. I honestly think GC would beat them 50some to a couple of TD's at best. GC practically gave them one TD. I do love the backs though and i like 71 on the line. He has good size, and he chilled a GC db and then got a 15yd penalty against the GC player, it was funny.

Graham is small this year too. How did their line do? They are very young and I am concerned that they will be pushed around pretty easily.... I think they are a year or so away from having a solid team.

Graham did better than I thought they would based on what everyone was saying...they have some good kids it looks like...and one thing I noticed was the #10 kid that came in on JV is fast...they need to move him up running the ball...#16 is carrying the load on that team...if they move the #10 kid up with him and share the load it would free him up more I think...but thats just me...shut down #16 as it stands right now and you beat Graham...so that's not good...the kid is a gamer though.

Graham is going to win some games...they are far from the doormat of the SWD that everyone seems to want to make them out to be.