Richlands @ Gate City..........8 days!!

Nadoball

I think you are giving GC and the fans undue credit. I seriously doubt there will be any problems, it is usually just the Lebanon fans who whine about that. (oops! shouldn't have said whine!) Ask all of our friends from Bluefield last year, i don't think anyone had any problems. Did anyone from Richlands have any problems in '08?

As i have said a hundred times, bring your fans! i love the atmosphere win or lose. Unfortunately, besides Bluefield and South last year no one brought more than 200-250 to sit there. I know some folks from Russell Co. believe we should leave all the general admission seats on the 50 empty just in case they show up for the game, but hey i have season tickets on the GC side :)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to take Richlands by 14+ on this one...I don't think it's going to even be close after watching GC twice last night...seems to me that they are down in size and have problems in the secondary...Richlands is loaded and have both size and speed...if they don't make mental mistakes and shoot themselves in the foot, they should have their way with GC...I'm guessing they also would like to make up for last year a little bit.

Sadly I have to agree with Lance here. Richlands will be too much.

After watching the Richlands-Basset game last night, if the big boy's in middle for Richlands D don't play next week (Devon Johnson and Skylar Bunker) The game my be a lot like last year. May be hard to stop the old up the middle and 5 yards like last year. Richlands was not wrapping up on the tackles up middle and tryed to just put a big hit on the Basset backs and they were not going down and got several second chance yards. I know that Gate City is much better at the physical run game than Basset and probably as good as there is in the AA or A game statewide as far as the power run game. Richlands will need the big boys up front to showup with the main concern to tackle and not try to get on the highlight real. I still belive Richlands will win but I hope that the guys out will get healthy quick or it may be a problem and a long drive home. Richlands passing game was pretty good and with Devon back the run game will be solid. Both Richlands quarterbacks looked equally good so I believe that the Tazewell transfer issue is not as big as it was made out to be. Just a depth thing at quarterback. Will Lowe was a Beast on both sides.

I think you are giving GC and the fans undue credit. I seriously doubt there will be any problems, it is usually just the Lebanon fans who whine about that. (oops! shouldn't have said whine!) Ask all of our friends from Bluefield last year, i don't think anyone had any problems. Did anyone from Richlands have any problems in '08?

As i have said a hundred times, bring your fans! i love the atmosphere win or lose. Unfortunately, besides Bluefield and South last year no one brought more than 200-250 to sit there. I know some folks from Russell Co. believe we should leave all the general admission seats on the 50 empty just in case they show up for the game, but hey i have season tickets on the GC side :)

I've never had a problem when I've been to a game there ! I can't speak for anybody else, but I've never had or heard of one when Richlands has played there.

I also think you can expect a little bigger crowd this week then 200-250...LOL ! Unless the weather is really bad and even then you could expect bigger then that !

Still a little sore with Lebanon? get over it! Speaking of whinning, read all the "whinning" the GC fans did about having to play the Regionals at a neutral field........now that's professional whinning!!

After watching the Richlands-Basset game last night, if the big boy's in middle for Richlands D don't play next week (Devon Johnson and Skylar Bunker) The game my be a lot like last year. May be hard to stop the old up the middle and 5 yards like last year. Richlands was not wrapping up on the tackles up middle and tryed to just put a big hit on the Basset backs and they were not going down and got several second chance yards. I know that Gate City is much better at the physical run game than Basset and probably as good as there is in the AA or A game statewide as far as the power run game. Richlands will need the big boys up front to showup with the main concern to tackle and not try to get on the highlight real. I still belive Richlands will win but I hope that the guys out will get healthy quick or it may be a problem and a long drive home. Richlands passing game was pretty good and with Devon back the run game will be solid. Both Richlands quarterbacks looked equally good so I believe that the Tazewell transfer issue is not as big as it was made out to be. Just a depth thing at quarterback. Will Lowe was a Beast on both sides.

The DL gets most of the blame for that loss, but Gate City only scored 10 points. That should be good enough to win. The problem last year was that Richlands only scored 7 points.

The DL gets most of the blame for that loss, but Gate City only scored 10 points. That should be good enough to win. The problem last year was that Richlands only scored 7 points.

last year GC was able to hold the ball and control the clock...hard for the defense to score anything if they are always on the field and getting it run up the gut every play.

Again, I don't see that happening this year...that is exactly what they will try to do, but I think Richlands has enough speed this year to move extra people in the box and go man to man with the GC receivers...which is what I expect them to do.

On the other side, from what I saw...I just don't think GC will match up very well with Richlands at WR and they have a QB that can deliver the ball deep this year and WR's that will get separation...that to me, is going to make for a long night for GC....forget the run and all that, sure the run game will be important...but I think GC can at least contain that to a point....I think the real damage will come from big pass plays.

I haven't seen Gate City but I saw Richlands at the grid-o-rama.

Richlands will win by 3 td+

Devon Johnson is a monster on both sides of the ball.

I don't see anyone stopping him at all this year.

Gate City, 28 Richlands 21

We aren't one dimensional like we were last year, I watched the scrimmage at Virginia high and they were passing the ball some.

plus your at legion which is one of the biggest home field advantages in virginia

...and i caught a clodhopper! Ha!

Just had to throw that Lebanon thing in there to see who would bite! It was tongue in cheek, and i truly have no problem with Lebanon (except when they are on the visiting side)

I totally expect a few more than 250-300! I would be totally disappointed if not. great point on the only 10 points BigD, i agree completely. You have to realize if GC can run they will control the clock, therefore less possessions for the 'Nados. If not it may get ugly. I for one am really excited about the game. I hope it lives up to the hype. I also hope no one on either team gets hurt and they both have great years after this week. From now until Friday around 10pm, i HATE Richlands! :)

Lets get it started..............8 days until game night. GC won a tight one last year 10-7, what will happen at Legion? Thoughts, predictions??? I will take Richlands 24-10.

GC wins this by 10 points.

I really really hate to say it. I have watched every GC scrimmage this year and have talked to numerous Richlands folks I know. If GC can stay within 4 tds I will be surprised! Richlands is just plain BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER than GC this year. It will be a JV game the whole 2nd half. At first glance I thought GC would have a chance in this game but after watching them and knowing what all Richlands has I just see no chance of being anywhere close in Fridays game. Coach Mance was telling some folks I know up in Richlands that this is the BEST team he has ever had at Richlands. He also said he sees no one giving them much of a game untill they get out of Regions.

I really really hate to say it. I have watched every GC scrimmage this year and have talked to numerous Richlands folks I know. If GC can stay within 4 tds I will be surprised! Richlands is just plain BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER than GC this year. It will be a JV game the whole 2nd half. At first glance I thought GC would have a chance in this game but after watching them and knowing what all Richlands has I just see no chance of being anywhere close in Fridays game. Coach Mance was telling some folks I know up in Richlands that this is the BEST team he has ever had at Richlands. He also said he sees no one giving them much of a game untill they get out of Regions.

I personally think it will be closer then what you think. I'm a blues fan so of course I think that Richlands will win, but Gate City has a lot back from last year and have a lot of history and pride.

I think this could be one of the best teams the blues have had........but they have to stay healthy ( obvious of course ) and stay hungry.

I just hope they have all of their players healthy for this Friday, that could make a big difference in how this game turns out.

I know I keep stating the obvious about injuries but it is just soooo important, especially at the high school level.

I don't know who your friends in Richlands are but that's not something they heard from Greg Mance...

I don't know who your friends in Richlands are but that's not something they heard from Greg Mance...

I'm with you on this BigD. I am very good friends with a couple of the coaches and although I'm not good friends with coach Mance, I do know him & I have never heard any of them say anything like that. In any year !

They know they have a "chance" to be a very good team, but they never take any team for granted, and they know it's going to take a lot of hard work.

Just going by what they said he told them at breakfast one morning.

Some of the problems GC is having thus far are injuries and some wont be back untill week 3. Also GC had some players quit a couple weeks back so they do not return as many starters as the papers say they do. GC will fight hard but due to all that has went on they just cant matchup well with Richlands. As of now GC will be lucky to go 5-5. I would almost say Richlands could play only their 2nd string and still win by 2 tds. I am surprised none of the GC situation has not already leaked out. I am seriously thinking of attending the Lee High @ Powell Valley game instead because of how bad I know Richlands will roll.:(

Some of the problems GC is having thus far are injuries and some wont be back untill week 3. Also GC had some players quit a couple weeks back so they do not return as many starters as the papers say they do. GC will fight hard but due to all that has went on they just cant matchup well with Richlands. As of now GC will be lucky to go 5-5. I would almost say Richlands could play only their 2nd string and still win by 2 tds. I am surprised none of the GC situation has not already leaked out. I am seriously thinking of attending the Lee High @ Powell Valley game instead because of how bad I know Richlands will roll.:(

You also have some beach front property in Florida your trying to sell don't you?

Words get twisted to suit some. Some people just have to have something to get fired up about.

You also have some beach front property in Florida your trying to sell don't you?

Words get twisted to suit some. Some people just have to have something to get fired up about.

What words have I posted that are twisted? I am just stating what I heard Mance said so maybe that could be twisted some from my friends to scare me more about Friday night. As for the rest of my post that is 100% true. We did have 8 quit to focus more on baseball and 6 of those were starters on last seasons team. With those that quit and those injured we will just be too down to compete come Friday night. I will probably be at the game Friday more than likely untill halftime. If we dont get some guys healed up soon this will be a long year for us. Shoot we had two brothers get injured on the very same play at the Jamboree Friday night.

What words have I posted that are twisted? I am just stating what I heard Mance said so maybe that could be twisted some from my friends to scare me more about Friday night. As for the rest of my post that is 100% true. We did have 8 quit to focus more on baseball and 6 of those were starters on last seasons team. With those that quit and those injured we will just be too down to compete come Friday night. I will probably be at the game Friday more than likely untill halftime. If we dont get some guys healed up soon this will be a long year for us. Shoot we had two brothers get injured on the very same play at the Jamboree Friday night.

I don't doubt at all that someone told you that coach Mance said that. But what I and most Richlands fans that know him & and the other coaches do doubt, is that coach Mance actually said it to who ever told you.

Mance has always been about the game we are playing THIS week and worries about next weeks game ....next week. That's one thing that has made him successful.

We also have injuries to worry about this week. We have several of our starters that could be out. You have Devon & Austin Johnson,Skylar Bunker, and Jack Vance. Some may be back this week and some may not so it sounds like both teams may have injury problems.

I hate to hear that ( if true....and I say if true because none of us have heard anything about this before now ) that you lost 6 more starters from last years team for other reasons, then that would be a huge loss. I was/am hoping that Gate City and Clintwood along with Richlands can be state finalist and represent our part of the state. All still can be, but it's a long season and a lot can still happen.

One game at a time ! That's the only way !

Edited by Bigrhsfan

Actually, only 2 of the 8 that quit had any significant playing time at all last year. and they were NOT major contributors even though they played. Im not sure exactly where you heard that 6 starters from last year quit but that is incorrect. Also, the biggest injury GC has at the moment is with one of their running backs. However, he will play against Richlands but he just will not be playing both ways

Actually, only 2 of the 8 that quit had any significant playing time at all last year. and they were NOT major contributors even though they played. Im not sure exactly where you heard that 6 starters from last year quit but that is incorrect. Also, the biggest injury GC has at the moment is with one of their running backs. However, he will play against Richlands but he just will not be playing both ways

Sorry but you are mistaken. Just sent you a PM to let you know the real situation down here in Gate City. This is the worst situation I think I have ever seen here. Some of the ones that did return from last year hardly spent any time in the weight room. As for anymore info you will need to read your pm.

Sorry but you are mistaken. Just sent you a PM to let you know the real situation down here in Gate City. This is the worst situation I think I have ever seen here. Some of the ones that did return from last year hardly spent any time in the weight room. As for anymore info you will need to read your pm.

Knowing the pride Gaty City has in that program I finding it real hard to believe what your selling. Sounds like your trying to build some over confidence on our side, but I'm betting the Richlands players are expecting better than what they faced last year and more.

I for one am glad we have Gaty City first game of the year, gives one that much more to work for during the off season. Just hope we get healthy for the game.

It's going to be a good one.