Poll: Why do you like high school football?

gcdevils47

because it's about all thats left of my home town...and of course we have the website here which is mostly football related.

i just like to go to the games and relax...take a few pics and get away from everything for a couple of hours each week.

Its more pure than other levels of football

My team is something I was and am a part of and I like that connection

You can go to a game and get excited act a little rediculious and its ok. You can blow off some steam and just relax.

I am a hugh football fan, not just of going the games but the game itself and I can watch it once a week in person

The social aspect of going to games is nice, seeing people I dont get to see anywhere else and renewing those old relationships

Edited by redtiger

It's the beauty of our local youth devoting themselves to a cause they love.

It's the glory of cooperating with YOUR classmates in defeating another town's team.

It's the thrill of watching a game coming down to the wire.

It's the joy of following your hometown's team from August to December.

It's the sweetness of reliving your memories every Friday night.

It's the camaraderie of meeting friends, new and old.

It's one of the best things in life.

It's the glory of cooperating with YOUR classmates in defeating another town's team.

Well said...

+20

I agree!!!!

AMEN!!! Nothing like watching kids you have watched since Peanut grow into young men and play their hearts out every friday nite! Nothing like watching those guys break free for that once in a life time run or once in a lifetime catch! They truly do play with their whole hearts and you can see it in their eyes whether they win or loose they still love the game!

As I've said before I played, I've coached, and for the first time in awhile Im now getting to watch as a fan...atleast for 1 season anyway.

As a coach, I wouldnt want to coach at any other level. In no certain order here are my favorite things about coaching high school football. Seeing a group of kids come together, forming brother- like relationships. Seeing kids improve....Theres nothing like seeing a kid who you'd never think would get any playing time devote himself to the offseason programs and turn into a player. Taking a kid with a poor home life, or poor academic record, and seeing that kid turn things around because of football. You can take the most outcast kid in school and if he'll really devote himself to the football program, you'll see a big change. That same kid that walked the halls with his head down will be walking around with some pride and confidence. Every kid comes from a different situation, and has different problems.....High School coaches can be a great presence in a kids life. As far as the actual game, Theres no better feeling than that feeling you have as a coach when you're giving a pre game or victory speech.....no better feeling than when you're about to take the field on friday nights. Plain and simple....High School kids play for the name on the front of their jersey....not the name on the back. They play for their school, town, friends, and family. As a coach, these kids will go all out for you. It can be a bit nerve wrecking though...knowing that your job, and your future is in the hands of 15 and 16 year old kids, lol.

As a fan, It gives all of us a chance to relive our memories, see old friends, and show support for the schools we once played for. We get a chance to still be apart of something special.

I've been fortunate enough to experience the utimate experience in high school football.......holding up a state championship trophy in december. I can tell you that with the exception of my daughter being born, it is the best experience of my life...My wedding comes in third....and my wife knows it, lol

Edited by battleftbl

On the most basic level, there is nothing like seeing the transition from summer to winter, one week at a time. Sweaty nights in August lead to November nights huddled around hot chocolate. And though the seasons may change, there is one constant: the passion and spirit that is uniquely inherent, uniquely innate, uniquely indelible to the game of Football. And while others do play it, there is nothing quite like the intimacy of being with those you know are rooting beside you. You may not know them personally, but there is a sense of familiarity you have with those around you that makes you all, well, family. Then when this family gets together, there's a certain ownership each person takes on themselves to root their team, OUR team, to victory, with each person understanding their role in the whole. It's that common purpose with those people that makes each Friday night in the Fall so special.

While I may have described the situation at any football stadium anywhere in the world, I think these ideas are their rawest and most exposed on the field and in the bleachers in Small Town America on a Friday night. There's just nothing quite like it.

On the most basic level, there is nothing like seeing the transition from summer to winter, one week at a time. Sweaty nights in August lead to November nights huddled around hot chocolate. And though the seasons may change, there is one constant: the passion and spirit that is uniquely inherent, uniquely innate, uniquely indelible to the game of Football. And while others do play it, there is nothing quite like the intimacy of being with those you know are rooting beside you. You may not know them personally, but there is a sense of familiarity you have with those around you that makes you all, well, family. Then when this family gets together, there's a certain ownership each person takes on themselves to root their team, OUR team, to victory, with each person understanding their role in the whole. It's that common purpose with those people that makes each Friday night in the Fall so special.

While I may have described the situation at any football stadium anywhere in the world, I think these ideas are their rawest and most exposed on the field and in the bleachers in Small Town America on a Friday night. There's just nothing quite like it.

I cant speak for other small area's, but thats SWVA football right there.

Everyones at the game, businesses shut down. Last person out of town, turn off the lights.

No reason for me to say why I love high school football because i may use different words, but I would try to say exactly what you said here and I could not have expressed it better !

Nice job !

I grew up in rural West KY. My favorite memories of home are football fridays, cold nights, the players giving their hearts and souls on the field, the fans urging them on and the band playing.

I was lucky enough in my high school career to see three great achievements for my school. The first was a state championship in football. The second was the school's first ever trip to the Sweet 16, and the first win in State Tournament. The third as seeing the band win a national championship.

Out of all of those, I treasure the football the most. It was a collective effort by a group of talented guys and coaches for a community that was used to .500 football. Yes, even in a hoops happy state, it was always football for me.

The changing of seasons is a good point, I can walk outside early in the morning in late august and just smell the grass and it really takes me back. Those october evenings when the wind is still and its a little overcast w/ the leaves just begining to change does the same thing. Its just a great thing that not everyone gets to experience and carry with them. I dont know if its like that for other sports?