Carroll @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

Battle for the SWD Title? Should be a great game. Carroll has a solid D. So does Richlands. I believe it comes down to the offenses. And I just dont think Carroll can outscore Richlands. This should be the best team we've faced other than Gate City. Thoughts and predictions??

Thing about this game is that it is hard to score when you do not have the ball and if by some chance CC gets a couple TDs quick we will not see the ball the rest of the night they are as selfish as it comes when it comes to letting the other team get there O on the feild.

Richlands won't have any problems with CC unless they just make them on their own...CC is a good team, but I don't see them giving Richlands any problems....they stacked the box to stop Grundy, Richlands spreads the field and has the speed to throw the ball deep. CC has a couple of quick backs, but I think the #16 kid from Graham is faster...would be interesting to see him run behind that line.

CC wants to keep the clock rolling and run the ball, Richlands will throw the ball enough to either score or keep the clock from free rolling...so i don't see how CC will be able to do much. Richlands is one of the better coached teams around and they will take what CC gives them...stop the run they will throw deep, play the pass and they will run over you....choose your poison.

Guest Woolybugger

Everybody knew this time last year that Richlands was going to be a better team in 2010 than in 09 -- they've proven that -- and that Carroll was set to lose a lot of talent from last year. It will take a perfect game by CC and some sloppy play by RHS. I've said it before, the goal is to not get beat up and let Richlands beat CC twice as has happened so many times in the past (no disrespect to Graham intended).

That being said, I am amazed by the D played by Carroll the past month. No TDs allowed in 4 SWD games. The difference is, speed at two or three spots hurts Carroll, and RHS has it.

I think the major difference between the two teams lies with depth. Richlands has the "program" from top to bottom (numbers, talent, coaching, facilities, etc.) and Carroll simply lacks the numbers. Too many two-way players, but I will never count out Carroll against anybody because of the heart and grit these young men have. I will go to battle with all of them-win, lose, or draw!

Carroll doesn't have to do anything special to beat Richlands. Our conservative style is implemented more out of necessity than choice. Run the ball, eat the clock, and don't turn it over (God, I just flashed back to the 1970's). Cut down on possessions and make the other team press. Richlands has a high risk, high reward system that increases opportunities for mistakes and turnovers (not to mention brilliant plays and quick scores- epic success or epic failure with most every play). Don't give them the big play and make them work the ball down the field; the longer that takes the better the chances for a turnover or penalty (Woody Hayes is rolling over as I type). Hopefully, they beat themselves more than anything. We don't have to be better, just better for enough of the 48 minutes to win. The better team doesn't always win. Now, do I think that will happen? Maybe-maybe not? Here's what I think will happen. A very good program will show up and try to stay perfect on their way to another SWD crown and high playoff seed. A very solid, maybe even overachieving, program will show up and play their guts out. Not overconfident and not intimidated in the least. Speaking of the 1970's, who had Spinks beating Ali? Isn't that why they play and we watch and post on messageboards?

Huntercav...tried to get a few CC pics for you this week...hope you found them.

The only bad part with Richlands is like I said before...if you stop the run by stacking the box then they will throw deep on you...if you manage to contain them deep in man to man coverage AND stop the run... they will just bring the moose in the backfield and drive it down your throat...you wont stop the big boy.

I think the major difference between the two teams lies with depth. Richlands has the "program" from top to bottom (numbers, talent, coaching, facilities, etc.) and Carroll simply lacks the numbers. Too many two-way players, but I will never count out Carroll against anybody because of the heart and grit these young men have. I will go to battle with all of them-win, lose, or draw!

Carroll doesn't have to do anything special to beat Richlands. Our conservative style is implemented more out of necessity than choice. Run the ball, eat the clock, and don't turn it over (God, I just flashed back to the 1970's). Cut down on possessions and make the other team press. Richlands has a high risk, high reward system that increases opportunities for mistakes and turnovers (not to mention brilliant plays and quick scores- epic success or epic failure with most every play). Don't give them the big play and make them work the ball down the field; the longer that takes the better the chances for a turnover or penalty (Woody Hayes is rolling over as I type). Hopefully, they beat themselves more than anything. We don't have to be better, just better for enough of the 48 minutes to win. The better team doesn't always win. Now, do I think that will happen? Maybe-maybe not? Here's what I think will happen. A very good program will show up and try to stay perfect on their way to another SWD crown and high playoff seed. A very solid, maybe even overachieving, program will show up and play their guts out. Not overconfident and not intimidated in the least. Speaking of the 1970's, who had Spinks beating Ali? Isn't that why they play and we watch and post on messageboards?

" Isn't that why they play and we watch and post on messageboards "

No, it's because I'm 51 and my playing days are over....LOL ! JK !

It's going to be a good ballgame, but I just think that Richlands is too big, to fast, to deep and have just too many weapons to try and cover and they have been getting better & better every week. Cody lockhart is really starting to feel comfortable in the spread offense now also.

Mance is very good at having his teams peak in time for the playoffs and Richlands knows how important this game is.

Plus another big factor is the game is it's being played at Ernie Hicks and they are expecting to be 100% healthy for the first time all year.

I think Richlands wins by 2 scores, and I say 2 scores because I have a lot of respect for this CC team !

Edited by Bigrhsfan

@Lance, Yes I went through your pics just before opening this thread. Thx for posting them! Hunter told me he saw you (big guy on CCHS side snapping pics had to be you?). He actually showed up in one toward the end of the pics-standing in the far background with a brown jacket and hat. I appreciate you posting all your pics of all the games. I will also add that we are not in any disagreement over any team's issues with stopping Richlands. I guess I'll revert back to the old saying: "We can't stop them; we can only hope to slow them down." There's no fairy dust or +spin for Cav's task Friday; it's going to be an uphill climb-no doubt about it. I am hoping that we can win the turnover margin and 3rd down. Maybe if we can hang around, it could get very interesting...

@bigfan: I am with you in age and spirit! LOL! I can appreciate your two score prediction and as I've stated before I look at matchups more than predicting scores or outcomes. If I was a gambler, my money goes squarely on blue (how's that for both teams featuring blue in their color guard?). However, I am more a dreamer who has played in, coached, and watched many can't miss outcomes missing. Do I think Carroll is 20 points better than Grundy-no way. However, they were for 48 minutes of playing time Friday night. Do I think Christiansburg is 40 points better than Carroll-no way. However, they were about five weeks ago! Do I think Richlands has more size, weapons, home field advantage, and other intangibles that could make this match-up a laugher? YES. Do I also believe that Carroll has a shot? Absolutely! As a dearly departed former coach of mine once said to me (as I was wide eyed during warm-ups watching about 75 Woodrow Wilson < Beckley> Flying Eagles go through their warm-ups): "Grubby, I don't give a damn how many they bring, what their record is, or how many are in teh seats 'cause they can only put 11 out there at one time. It's still 11 on 11 and it's still played between the lines one play at a time!"

Footnote: I would love to lie or embellish the above story's ending, but they won 55-Zippo and it could have been WORSE. It was 0-21 before I broke a sweat. What did I learn from it? The superior team usually wins and wins big, but we showed up and thus had a chance. We made them kick our ass and they did all the way back to Lewisburg!

we get them the week after you guys, so work them over for us lol.

I thought he was #78 and kept looking for that number but didn't see it...is he hurt or something? was going to say hello.

@Huntercav:

I totally agree with you on the fact that CC has a chance. Nobody is unbeatable and I can tell you for a fact that the Blues will not be taking this game lightly or looking past them. CC has always played the Blues tough and it looks like you guys have a good team again this year.

I just hope it's a good, clean, and hard hitting game and both teams come out of it healthy !

Like you, I've been on the wrong side of a couple of butt whippings also back in my playing days and have also been on the doing the whipping side also. Unfortunately, not enough of that side......LOL !

God that's been a long time ago... I'm getting sore just thinking about it.....LOL !

Are you planning on making the trip down to Richlands ? If so, I hope you guys have a safe trip down and back home !

Good luck to you guys on Friday.

@Lance: Hunter was injured in the first quarter of our benefit game (ACL) and has been out all season. His return is "iffy" at best. He will not require surgery, but the PT was a little too aggressive and that set us back a couple of weeks (was hoping to be back for Abingdon). He's #72, but has been in street clothes all season. I guess that's why I've been so sensitive about injuries and how they impact the kids, the games, and the programs. One play can truly change the course of a kid's career, or a team's fortunes. We all know that, but I have lived it. When I read that Kelly got hurt, it just made me sick. Our faith tells us that this is part of God's plan to lead Hunter down another path, whether football is still part of the plan remains to be seen. He's a fine young man and I am exceedingly proud of him and how well he has handled this entire situation-probably better than his crazy dad...

@bigfan: I am with you again! Those big wins never felt as good as the big losses felt bad. Since Hunter's injury, I have been to all the home games and none of the road games. It makes me physically sick to go to any of them right now, but I still support the kids and the program. I'll be right here listening over the 'Net and pulling hard for all the things you mentioned.

This will be our toughest test since GC. With that being said I don't think CC can come within 30 at the end of the night. Richlands can score running, passing, special teams and on defense. Richlands 42-CC 14. I will say this, I think this will be the first game in a while that Richlands dont have 40 at halftime.

I think this will be a close game. And I think both teams need a good test moving toward the playoffs. I hope the refs stay out of it and both teams come out injury free. My predition is RHS by 14. I think CC will hang around for the second half but I think our depth will be the difference. I hope everyone has a good week and look forward to a good game. It had better be I am driving 3 hours to see this one!

This will be our toughest test since GC. With that being said I don't think CC can come within 30 at the end of the night. Richlands can score running, passing, special teams and on defense. Richlands 42-CC 14. I will say this, I think this will be the first game in a while that Richlands dont have 40 at halftime.

we take pride in you all having 3 at halftime against us. hahaha good luck to you all.

@Lance: Hunter was injured in the first quarter of our benefit game (ACL) and has been out all season. His return is "iffy" at best. He will not require surgery, but the PT was a little too aggressive and that set us back a couple of weeks (was hoping to be back for Abingdon). He's #72, but has been in street clothes all season. I guess that's why I've been so sensitive about injuries and how they impact the kids, the games, and the programs. One play can truly change the course of a kid's career, or a team's fortunes. We all know that, but I have lived it. When I read that Kelly got hurt, it just made me sick. Our faith tells us that this is part of God's plan to lead Hunter down another path, whether football is still part of the plan remains to be seen. He's a fine young man and I am exceedingly proud of him and how well he has handled this entire situation-probably better than his crazy dad...

@bigfan: I am with you again! Those big wins never felt as good as the big losses felt bad. Since Hunter's injury, I have been to all the home games and none of the road games. It makes me physically sick to go to any of them right now, but I still support the kids and the program. I'll be right here listening over the 'Net and pulling hard for all the things you mentioned.

I'm sorry to hear about Hunter's injury ! I wish him a full recovery! I know how the injury bug feels. I blew out both knees and had 4 knee surgeries and looking at a replacement in the near future and 2 shoulder separations, all are old football injuies. I've paid for em later in life, but would not change it if I could ! Too many good memory's and friends came with it !

What ever Gods plan is with Hunter, I'm sure he'll be just fine !

Edited by Bigrhsfan

Richlands won't have any problems with CC unless they just make them on their own...CC is a good team, but I don't see them giving Richlands any problems....they stacked the box to stop Grundy, Richlands spreads the field and has the speed to throw the ball deep. CC has a couple of quick backs, but I think the #16 kid from Graham is faster...would be interesting to see him run behind that line.

CC wants to keep the clock rolling and run the ball, Richlands will throw the ball enough to either score or keep the clock from free rolling...so i don't see how CC will be able to do much. Richlands is one of the better coached teams around and they will take what CC gives them...stop the run they will throw deep, play the pass and they will run over you....choose your poison.

Richlands D should have no trouble disrupting the CC offense unless they shoot themselves in the foot with over-confidence. CC loves to run the ball, and if they are stopped, they historically don't pass the ball well. I see Richlands winning easily.

I have not seen CC play this year but I have a hard time believing they are any better than Gate City and that being said I don't see them playing with Richlands over the entire game. I may be wrong but if Richlands keeps the penalties under 12 or so and thats pathetic, I see Richlands up by at least 21 by halftime. Maybe the starters will play for at least 3 quarters this Friday, maybe not. I would like to see Richlands play like last week against the G-men and not kill themselves with penalties. In spite of stupid penalties they probably will commit, Richlands is just too deep and have too many big time players for any teams around here to play with them. I don't think Carroll is any exception to that rule. I agree with the earlier post about pick you're poison, They can run it down you're throat, short pass you to death and/or go deep on both sides of the field with numerous players.

Good luck to both teams and no injuries.

Ok richlands cavaliers or whatever you're called. I'm pretty sure most are hoping carroll tornadoes windy the game.:D

The glaring fact on this board is how much respect RHS and CCHS have for one another. It’s mostly because of the history these two teams have. Hard fought games for the most part in the past several years. After the game is over, there may be a little bellyaching about the officiating (last year it was horrible, but it didn’t favor either team). The loser congratulates the winner, and that’s that. On the other hand, a few select Abingdon posters are always making excuses and trash talking, using juvenile expressions like “Blow”naders, trying to be clever while making fools of themselves by claiming moral victories when "playing tough” after being stomped by 4 touchdowns (see Richlands @ Abingdon, 2010). This should not be a reflection on the Abingdon Falcons football team, but unfortunately is has taken on a life of its own here on SWVASports.com. The kids on the football team at Abingdon deserve better than a few pathetic losers who post on a message board claiming to be the representatives of the Abingdon faithful. Hats off to the Abingdon football team for hanging in there and competing. Thumbs down to the immature Abingdon posters on this board who act like 2-year-olds.

Edited by blueinbama

Thumbs down to the immature Abingdon posters on this board who act like 2-year-olds.

I agree, it's getting old. A-train, Falconman, and southbound should be glad it's not my forum or their posting privileges would have been pulled a long time ago............