quick question

GrahamPG44

No. Only pass interference, roughing kicker, passer, holder snapper carry automatic first downs.

okay so in the abingdon game last night. (and im not making any excuses cuz the game was already outta reach and abingdon was the better team) but there was a roughing the passer on a 2nd and 20 and they just gave them 15 yard penalty and it was third down. Doug marrs then called a timeout and went out to tell them that it was an automatic first down and they told him no that its not an automatic first down? i just dont understand how the officials dont even know the rules?

okay so in the abingdon game last night. (and im not making any excuses cuz the game was already outta reach and abingdon was the better team) but there was a roughing the passer on a 2nd and 20 and they just gave them 15 yard penalty and it was third down. Doug marrs then called a timeout and went out to tell them that it was an automatic first down and they told him no that its not an automatic first down? i just dont understand how the officials dont even know the rules?

Not to start anything but local refs just don't get paid enough to be perfect (or even close to it sometimes) There are many cases of mistakes I have seen for any team out there

Not to start anything but local refs just don't get paid enough to be perfect (or even close to it sometimes) There are many cases of mistakes I have seen for any team out there

It seems that might be the solution. Find a way to trian and pay better and things may get better.

Grundy got called for roughing the kicker even though the punt was blocked.

You'd think that when a coach goes cuckoo over a call, they'd figure out they might have made a mistake.

problems is, when they make a bad call they won't get together and fix it...instead they just figure out some BS way of trying to justify it and go ahead and mark it off.

I was at the game and was trying to figure out the same thing. One of the coaches for Abingdon and turned around and shook his head and just laughed.

I really doubt this will matter, but is there a letter that can be written to the VHSL or something? There has been more extra curricular action going on this year that's lead to fights and brawls and calls that have been totally messed up.

You'd think that when a coach goes cuckoo over a call, they'd figure out they might have made a mistake.

Might have. I have been in many situations where a coach is going cuckoo and be absolutely wrong.

One thing to remember is that a coach can call a timeout to discuss a call with the officials and the officials can give that TO back to the team.

bc a play had already been played b4 he called the timeout

A good crew would get a rule correctly every time regardless if they are getting paid a 1000 dollars or doing the game for nothing.

I understand missing judgement things, but not any type of rules enforcement.

Couldn't agree more. If you want better officials. Pay them. Football is the highest grossing sport in high school. Based on that football officials are the lowest paid of any sport. Soccer doesn't bring in crap and the officials are making like $100. If football paid more I would love to do it. Just isn't worth my time though.

I was at the game and was trying to figure out the same thing. One of the coaches for Abingdon and turned around and shook his head and just laughed.

I really doubt this will matter, but is there a letter that can be written to the VHSL or something? There has been more extra curricular action going on this year that's lead to fights and brawls and calls that have been totally messed up.

As a former Tn official, that wouldn't work. The VHSL doesn't like ejections. So therefore, things that probably should go down as an ejection don't. They just get an unsportsman like conduct or personal foul. The principals don't back the officials either. So therefore, I believe it is up to the coaches to keep their teams under control. My opinion from watching games this season.

The call was in error. Marrs went ahead and ran a 3rd down play before calling the refs on it. If he had objected at the start, then he would have gotten his first down.

He told the refs that he was working on something and thought they gave him the first down.

The refs did make a bad call. One of many that I have seen this year. I agree that the refs should be paid more. And trained properly.

Pay them more and a change at the top may be good. People are tired of seeing the same officials all the time. Officials are tired of going to the same place all the time. And when there is a big game you always know who will be there.