Update on what's going on at Graham

Dung Marrs

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 30 people showed up tonight and will address the school board at the meeting on 12/13. Alot of things that I was already aware of as well as things that I was not aware of was discussed at the meeting. For instance, it was mentioned that a local buisnessman asked Marrs about giving up the home game to Princeton and he said his family comes first and for the next four years while his son is in college there will be no Saturday games. It was also mentioned that some of the boosters were told by O'Neal that they better not show up at the meeting tonight. So many people in the community are wanting change but dont want their child to have to deal with the consequences of the parents stepping up. We all need to make our voices heard. If we all stand up then the school board will have to eventually listen. They can either listen or we can put someone in there that will. An individual said tonight that the board needs to realize that we are their boss - they are not ours. Everyone in attendance is all in agreement that this is not about the number of wins and losses. It is about the treatment of the kids. It was said that some players on this years undefeated middle school team will not play if Marrs is still around next year. Do we really want a man in a position where he calls all the shots for the athletic programs that does not have the best interest of the kids or the school at heart and do we really want a teacher in our school that gave his class an assignment of writing a suicide letter to their parents??? This man has complete control and he knows it. He is not accountable to anyone - but then again why would you be accountable when you have the principal and the school board in your back pocket. A petition is being drawn up and I urge everyone that is a Tazewell County resident to please sign this once it is circulated. There is power in numbers and our kids deserve better.

About 30 people showed up tonight and will address the school board at the meeting on 12/13. Alot of things that I was already aware of as well as things that I was not aware of was discussed at the meeting. For instance, it was mentioned that a local buisnessman asked Marrs about giving up the home game to Princeton and he said his family comes first and for the next four years while his son is in college there will be no Saturday games. It was also mentioned that some of the boosters were told by O'Neal that they better not show up at the meeting tonight. So many people in the community are wanting change but dont want their child to have to deal with the consequences of the parents stepping up. We all need to make our voices heard. If we all stand up then the school board will have to eventually listen. They can either listen or we can put someone in there that will. An individual said tonight that the board needs to realize that we are their boss - they are not ours. Everyone in attendance is all in agreement that this is not about the number of wins and losses. It is about the treatment of the kids. It was said that some players on this years undefeated middle school team will not play if Marrs is still around next year. Do we really want a man in a position where he calls all the shots for the athletic programs that does not have the best interest of the kids or the school at heart and do we really want a teacher in our school that gave his class an assignment of writing a suicide letter to their parents??? This man has complete control and he knows it. He is not accountable to anyone - but then again why would you be accountable when you have the principal and the school board in your back pocket. A petition is being drawn up and I urge everyone that is a Tazewell County resident to please sign this once it is circulated. There is power in numbers and our kids deserve better.

If we don't replace Marrs as HC and AD, Graham football's going to be irreparably harmed.

I'm with you: when this petition comes out, PLEASE sign it, for the betterment of our youth.

At this meeting last night, was Coach Marrs there or was it just Principal O'Neal? Did anyone try to deny the Princeton game date move? Was there an official explanation given for that? Did O'Neal address the booster threat claim?

The meeting went well .although it would have been nice to see more of our community there,but it was productive. The move continues to get momentum ,so you individuals that want change ,but have not shown up yet, we do have a school board meeting coming up! Time to man up folks! Talk trash about me is one thing ,but we are talking about our kids. It's time for change and we all know it , so lets us come together as a community and make it happen.

One thing to be noted about the Princeton game is that is was not a loss of funds to Graham, the game is a 50/50 split on the gate, but Graham actually pocketed more this year, because Princeton gave Graham an extra 10% since it they were given the home game so it favored Graham 60/40 and it was the homecoming game which brought in more money, so nothing should be said about Graham giving up the gate to that game.

One thing to be noted about the Princeton game is that is was not a loss of funds to Graham, the game is a 50/50 split on the gate, but Graham actually pocketed more this year, because Princeton gave Graham an extra 10% since it they were given the home game so it favored Graham 60/40 and it was the homecoming game which brought in more money, so nothing should be said about Graham giving up the gate to that game.

I've never heard of anybody doing a 50/50 split of the gate........the money for home games is collected for the home school....Graham got a 60/40 split of the gate this year, because the GAVE AWAY the home game......

I've never heard of anybody doing a 50/50 split of the gate........the money for home games is collected for the home school....Graham got a 60/40 split of the gate this year, because the GAVE AWAY the home game......

Exactly, the only game that is split 50/50 is the graham beaver game due to the size of the gate. That game alone supports the Graham football program for the year and a lot of other sports. Why in the world would Princeton ever take 10% less to play the game at home? Either that guy is a member of the Marrs or O'Neal families or you just don't understand how things work. That game cost Graham high school a lot of money. Not to mention that he wasted my tax dollars by giving the game away.

putting the gate aside it is the fact that he gave up a home game so that he could go watch his son set on the bench at unc. ghs is his job the kids are his career they come first. if he cannot put the team first over the next 4 years how many home games is he going to give away to go to chapel hill nc every sat. and how much time is he losing viewing tape of ghs games and trying to improve the team with this. coach carlock had a son but his devotion was to the team as any coach should be. if he cannot do this then he needs to step down and let someone who will devote the needed time to these kids and the team.

The petitions are in circulation now. I urge everyone that is a Tazewell County resident over the age of 18 to sign this before the 12/13 school board meeting. If you do not know anyone that has one, send me a message and I can put you in contact with someone. Take a stand people for the sake of our children. There is strength in numbers!!!

Exactly, the only game that is split 50/50 is the graham beaver game due to the size of the gate. That game alone supports the Graham football program for the year and a lot of other sports. Why in the world would Princeton ever take 10% less to play the game at home? Either that guy is a member of the Marrs or O'Neal families or you just don't understand how things work. That game cost Graham high school a lot of money. Not to mention that he wasted my tax dollars by giving the game away.

Don't ask me, I don't know, but that is how it worked out, I am not supporting that the game was moved to princeton just stating a few facts

Don't ask me, I don't know, but that is how it worked out, I am not supporting that the game was moved to princeton just stating a few facts

You can't state "facts" without proof...

The petitions are in circulation now. I urge everyone that is a Tazewell County resident over the age of 18 to sign this before the 12/13 school board meeting. If you do not know anyone that has one, send me a message and I can put you in contact with someone. Take a stand people for the sake of our children. There is strength in numbers!!!

I can't wait until I put my John Hancock on one of these in the next few days.

This!

That game cost Graham high school a lot of money. Not to mention that he wasted my tax dollars by giving the game away.

And this!!!

You can't state "facts" without proof...

Okay, What I have heard to be true

and I do understand that it hurt Graham due to losing concession money, I'm just trying let everyone no that it wasn't a total loss

Edited by yadaaa

That's the reason the band did concessions this year, to make money.

We were cut out some hundreds of dollars.

I will take bets that Doug Marrs will NOT pay the band that money. Any takers?

so princeton had their homecoming on a game that graham was considered home?

Help me understand your statement. Are you staying that for Graham home games, they typically split the gate with the away teams too? I know this is done for obvious reasons for the Graham-Beaver game but did not know that this was done for other schools.

If I am a person going after facts. I would want records, financial records turned over. These are not private documents, but public. If I were a donor with money I would get a lawyer to subpoena these records on the grounds that money is not being shared equally or even close to equally among the sports, and that there is a conflict of interest with the A.D being the football coach and spending more money on his sport while not giving equally to others. Also I still think you can look at Title IX violations. If I am one of the ones leading the charge and have money I'd bring a lawyer into the mix.

Help me understand your statement. Are you staying that for Graham home games, they typically split the gate with the away teams too? I know this is done for obvious reasons for the Graham-Beaver game but did not know that this was done for other schools.

No, but the Princeton game was

Okay, What I have heard to be true

and I do understand that it hurt Graham due to losing concession money, I'm just trying let everyone no that it wasn't a total loss

It's not just concession money but the additional expense for fans to drive, eat, tickets, as well as additional expenses for the football team, band, etc. to have to travel to an away game. Were those folks compensated?

Financial reasons aside, I think the decision to move a home game due to voluntary family event is not acceptable. As a coach and former military member, it is part of the game that your players/men come first and that as a leader, you lead by example ...which sometimes translates to your family comes second.

Wins and losses aside, I would like to see more information related to this event become public.

No, but the Princeton game was

So we took 60% of the gate at a game at Princeton (with lower ticket prices) instead of 100% of the gate at Mitchell Stadium so that the head coach could go watch his son play a college football game?

With the additional expenses to travel to Princeton and lost revenue for the band and the athletic department (due to the loss of 40% of a gate), this decision seems to be very poor and it is a high price for one person's desire. I can't believe folks higher did not object more vocally when this decision was made.

If not relieved of his duties as head football coach, he should definatly be relieved of his role as Athletic Director. He basically is using this power to help himself instead of the school and students. I guarentee if he would have had to get approval from a AD for this, he would have been denied.