Friday night updates

VHSLhelper

The pass was three yards forward I watched the play half dozen times since last night. This was a good call. I will check on the one Lance is talking about now and get back with you later on it.

I was sitting at the 30 and the pass sure looked forward to me...I thought the CS fans were booing cause they thought it was completed and then fumbled.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The refs for the first time were AWFUL and for the first time Richlands was not on the recieving end of it Cave had not 1 but 2 TDS taken away if you remember the one you are talking about was bad but the backward pass that was ruled a incomplete after the defender was 10 yards from the endzone was one of the worst calls i had ever seen.

The pass was three yards forward I watched the play half dozen times since last night. This was a good call. I will check on the one Lance is talking about now and get back with you later on it.

I was sitting at the 30 and the pass sure looked forward to me...I thought the CS fans were booing cause they thought it was completed and then fumbled.

I was standing even with the line of scrimmage looking straight across the field and it was directly in front of me...that was actually the correct call as it was a forward pass...I have a pic of the pass in the air and you can tell by the angle of the ball its a forward pass...it is blurry, but you can tell it....here is the pic:

IMG_4291.jpg

I was standing even with the line of scrimmage looking straight across the field and it was directly in front of me...that was actually the correct call as it was a forward pass...I have a pic of the pass in the air and you can tell by the angle of the ball its a forward pass...it is blurry, but you can tell it....here is the pic:

IMG_4291.jpg

I stand corrected can not argue with the pic from the press box it looked like a backward pass because we even said we got away with one bigtime there now that i seen the pic i can see we were dead wrong Thanks lance for clearing that up.

I stand corrected can not argue with the pic from the press box it looked like a backward pass because we even said we got away with one bigtime there now that i seen the pic i can see we were dead wrong Thanks lance for clearing that up.

yeah...I try to be honest about what I see, no matter how it goes...I'm not always right either...this is a good example of how things can look from different angles...the CS coaches were thinking it was not a forward pass and they even asked one of the other guys taking pics for them if it was and he even told them it was not a forward pass...from where I was standing I was just lucky to have a straight on view and I happened to get a pic with the ball in the air, so I knew for sure it was a forward pass...no doubt about that one.

The other call, a flag may have come out early...I didn't see it if it did, and the play (TD) went up the Richlands side...the call was made on the back side (CS side) at the 30 yard line on the far end of the field away from the scoreboard (CS was going towards the scoreboard and was on the other end of the field 70 yards away)...I didn't see the flag until the kid was up way past the 50...but, it might have been thrown earlier....either way regardless of when the flag was thrown, that was a tuff call for CS because the kid did go to the numbers on the field and check in...if it wasn't far enough and the ref wanted him to take another step in towards the ball then he should have told the kid at that point he wasn't checked....a flag like that is pretty lame and did have huge implications...should have never been called I don't think.

Richlands still wins the game, but that one call might have swung it well in their favor.

I understand what your saying Lance and agree it was a call that really hurt Cave, but it's all what if's and could have beens, because we just don't know how it would have turned out.

Richlands could have received the kickoff after that and Bradley or Cody could have ran it back for a TD or if stopped on the kickoff we could have marched down the field and scored again ! Not trying to argue with you because you have a valid point, but just saying we don't know what would have or could have happened.

All I know is both teams played very hard and it was a good game ! I'm just glad we came out with the W !

this was a BS call for Cave Spring...they flagged the wide out on the back side for not going inside the numbers and checking in with the ref... the kid went and stood on the 30 and the ref was standing right there when the kid put his arm out to check in and then nodded back at the kid before the play...

Bucky said... "the officials said they didn't have all 11 players inside the numbers on the ready-for-play signal"

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/wb/268908

Bucky said... "the officials said they didn't have all 11 players inside the numbers on the ready-for-play signal"

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/wb/268908

by "inside the numbers" he must have meant the directional arrow, because the kid was standing on the number...that's just a cheap penalty either way you look at it...horrible call....it was the backside wide out who had nothing to do with the play...nothing...that was a dirty flag.

by "inside the numbers" he must have meant the directional arrow, because the kid was standing on the number...that's just a cheap penalty either way you look at it...horrible call....it was the backside wide out who had nothing to do with the play...nothing...that was a dirty flag.

"On the number" is not legally "inside the number". The player must go INSIDE the number to be a legal participant in the play. Very plain and simple rule.

As has been said from different angles you see different things. Being behind the play with, the Richlands bench between me and the catch, as the flag came out at the snap could see players on that side of the field pull up. Left me thinking didn't hear a whistle but the play is coming back before the pass was thrown. I'm sure about half of both teams new that too.

"On the number" is not legally "inside the number". The player must go INSIDE the number to be a legal participant in the play. Very plain and simple rule.

he might have been half a step away, if that...CS goes no huddle and the kid was right there on the spot...it was close enough that you would never see it called under the circumstances...much less in a playoff game...was just a bad call that had nothing to do with the play, the kid didn't even go out...wasn't because the flag was thrown early as the other guy said...it was because the play was on the opposite side of the field...i was standing beside the ref about a yard behind the line on the side the flag came out on...i don't know what kind of angle or whatever anything else would have to do with it....but, usually if a kid is not inside the numbers enough when he checks with the ref, the ref will let him know he is not eligible....i've seen it happen all year...the rule is clear and simple...the way this played out is not.

doesn't really matter...it was a big play and since it was a TD that was called back, i'm just letting you know what I saw and my opinion...to me that's a flag that shouldn't have been thrown....refs can flag something on every play if they want, doesn't mean they should or will...this was as bad as a back side holding call after the play was up the field on the other side...sure, may be holding...did it effect the play? no...should you call it? probably not.

I think the refs are aware that their every move is under a watchful eue in the playoffs and are trying their best to get everything right. Like the dropped forward pass that wasn't immediately blown dead, Brookville had a similar call. Liberty went up 15-3 in the 2nd q., but the def. TD was nullified after the refs decided the receiver didn't have control before the ball was knocked loose, so no fumble and no TD.

I think they're going to call anything and everything that's "obvious" so they won't be blamed for missing the call that led to the winning score or whatever.

Doesn't matter if it was on the back side of the play. How many times do you hear of a punt ret. TD nullified because of a block in the back? And aren't at least 75% of those so far behind the play that it didn't matter? Stupid call, but stupid play, too.. If you're going to call penalties, you gotta call what's obviously illegal.

The flag was droped at the sanp of the ball, and I agree with Lance you hardley ever see that call. I was wournding if the Ref. had allready warned the player about not being in side the numbers sometime before that play.

The flag was droped at the sanp of the ball, and I agree with Lance you hardley ever see that call. I was wournding if the Ref. had allready warned the player about not being in side the numbers sometime before that play.

it was on the #1 kid and he was out there all night in that slot...I don't think there were any other problems before that, the kid was almost in tears when he found out it was on him, he was shocked...I kinda felt bad for him under the circumstances. I heard what the ref said to the coaches and and what the coaches said to the ref about it...pretty sure there was no warning prior to it...the ref even pointed to the arrow and made the kid walk over to the spot where he said he would consider it "inside"...and the kid was like i said maybe a half step if that away when the play started.

I've just seen refs warn kids about that all year, being down on the sidelines and taking pics it's kinda cool to get to see and hear a lot more of what goes on and it's given me a lot different perspective with the refs in particular as to what they call and why they call it and how the coaches and refs interact with each other...and mostly from the visitor side as I only took pics on the home side 2 times this year.

and...like i said, the flag might have come out early on...i just didn't see it until the play was up field. As far as the block in the back comparison...you can get someone hurt on that type of penalty...so it's a bit different i think...you could flag something every play if you want...lots of mistakes at this level...but, doesn't mean you have to or need to...this one i dont think needed to be called...but, that's just me...it was called, probably a legit call...but i still think it was a bit harsh from where i was standing....that's all....I'd say the same thing if it was against Richlands and they were playing Grundy. I'm one that likes to let the kids play it out as much as you can and the less flags the better though...lol...so maybe i'm more biased than some others here....to each his own.

Point I was trying to make with angle is I was looking at players after seeing the flag that hesitated for a second or two, could they have crossed up Cole, who knows?

play to the whistle is what i was always taught....and there wasn't one on that play.