Unrest in Richlands????

GMan

I heard that a JV player's parent(s) got mad at Coach Mance because "little Tommy" didn't get to eat dinner with the "Big Boys" last week before the football game.

Also heard there was a big meeting between Mance, the staff, and the parents and Mance, more or less, told them "too bad" and that the parent(s) was just going to have to get over it because that's how it is and that he's there to coach football and if the parent(s) didn't like it, "little Tommy" wouldn't be playing for his team...

Stupid parent(s)...

Anybody got the low down (ie. "first hand info") on this situation???

Kudos to Mance, BTW...

It was one parent throwing a fit because her child did not get to eat last week coach mance gave her the option of taking him off the team or getting over it ill let you decide which one she picked. Great job Coach alot of respect earned.

That's the way it should be ! He has earned the respect over several seasons for being just that kind of coach.

If you don't let them know who the boss is, they will take over and ruin a good program that he and the rest of the staff have built.

I must say however that most of the parents of the kids do respect the coach and do everything they can to help the kids and the program which I'm sure that coach would be the first to commend for their work and help.

This program has a lot of community support !

But there's always one who thinks their kid may be above everybody else.

It's easy to just say "tell the kid to turn in his stuff"...but, most of the time the kids are not bent out of shape, the parents are...so you kinda just have to hope the parents chill out for the kids sake.

All this over eating...wow...must have been pizza night.

JV players play JV and not a real part of the Varsity even if they are allowed to dress. Was 1 JV player not invited or were they all not invited?

Doesn’t matter. It is the coaches decision...if you don’t think it’s fair, tough s***. Coach Mance handled it. Period. Coach Mance sent a very important message to the parents: “You are not running this show, I am running this bad boy, so get over it or get gone”. Good for coach Mance. Once you start letting the parents have the upper hand, you have lost your program.

winning affords you a lot of luxury with things like this...one parent starts giving Mance a hard time, or even a few parents, he can afford to sit it out and tell them to hit the road...if Richlands was 1-9 every year that wouldn't fly as far.

JV players play JV and not a real part of the Varsity even if they are allowed to dress. Was 1 JV player not invited or were they all not invited?

Oh no it was all of the JV he did not exclude just one guy its just the one parent was the one complaining over it.

I heard that a JV player's parent(s) got mad at Coach Mance because "little Tommy" didn't get to eat dinner with the "Big Boys" last week before the football game.

Also heard there was a big meeting between Mance, the staff, and the parents and Mance, more or less, told them "too bad" and that the parent(s) was just going to have to get over it because that's how it is and that he's there to coach football and if the parent(s) didn't like it, "little Tommy" wouldn't be playing for his team...

Stupid parent(s)...

Anybody got the low down (ie. "first hand info") on this situation???

Kudos to Mance, BTW...

I say if the parent don't like Coach Mances decisions that he makes,Move to another town where the parents runs the team,or better yet RUINS a team! Keep up the good work Coach Mance!

I'm just stirring the pot here, no involvement in this. I see both sides, somewhat.

I think this was a good decision, doesn't sound like the kid was individually excluded, it was the entire JV. And that's the coach's decision, and he's got that right.

But then...from the Graham situation, with Marrs...you don't want the coach to get too big of a head, and say "It's my way or the highway", as it appears a lot of kids at Graham have chosen the highway, and don't play football. It's good that the parents are watching at Richlands, but in this case...this is a non-issue, from what I'm reading here. If a kid gets individually excluded for some reason, the parents might have a beef. But in this case...nope, not at all.

Again, don't get bent out of shape about this...just supporting the coach's decision, but a little concerned about the folks who think the coach ought to run a dictatorship with nobody to answer to. It's not the parents he answers to, though, but the AD, the board, etc, do need to listen to parent input...but not THIS case.

I question the wisdom of the parent(s), making an issue out of a pre-game meal, PLAYOFF WEEK!!

The coaching staff and team should be focused on the upcoming game against the playoff opponent, not issues from a pregame meal.

If the parent(s) felt there was an "injustice" done to their child, they should have used diligent restraint and ask for a meeting after the season had ended with Coach Mance. Knowing him, I'm sure he would have been willing to meet with them and try to resolve this equitably.

Sadly, the parent(s) have sown discord with a debateable issue and maybe inadvertently or adversely, caused "hard feelings" that will resonate longer than getting over the "indigestion of this situation."

Life has many choices---eternity two

Tazewell...are you taking notes?????

Do you think Mance would have been run out of Tazewell? Serious question. And yes it may seem as if my arrival back to the site has been delayed, buy I doubt I was missed very much haha as far as the richlands game goes, I have a feeling that they will win by at least 14. And also, props to coach mance for standing his ground on this situation, it shows prominent "head-of-the-table" leadership, which has a big part in what makes a "good" coach a great one.

Do you think Mance would have been run out of Tazewell? Serious question. And yes it may seem as if my arrival back to the site has been delayed, buy I doubt I was missed very much haha as far as the richlands game goes, I have a feeling that they will win by at least 14. And also, props to coach mance for standing his ground on this situation, it shows prominent "head-of-the-table" leadership, which has a big part in what makes a "good" coach a great one.

no because I think Mance is the type of coach that no matter where he goes, he will win...and as said before, winning affords you the ability to tell people to hit the road.