Patrick Henry

Warriors_XO

This is what I've said so far...

Patrick Henry's football team wasn't very good. They had good skill players but lacked size and fundamentals at the offensive line.

They have lacked this for three to four years.

Compton has been there during this time. No line play has positively developed.

My assumptions are either A) the crop of kids just are that bad or B) Compton and his crew aren't teaching fundamentals or C) the youth and middle school programs aren't teaching fundamentals for Compton and his crew to improve upon.

Essentially, any football team's struggles start with the line. This being Compton's forte, one would've thought (maybe its just me) that this area could have seen some improvement.

Am I way off base?

Myself and others have worked with the little rebels to improve on fundamentals so dont go there.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That explains why you are so adament in your feelings about the next coach. Whoever they choose I am sure will contact you to make sure the youth is in line with the Varisty program. Youth programs are the lifeline of high school football and the people in charge there are extremely important.

Well let's see . . . . split back veer, double slot option (like navy), wing t, double wing, straight t, olivet wing t, bay city t, pretty much any offense where the blocking scheme is set up to allow for the linemen to block straight ahead the least amount possible (multiple angles) or for there to be double teams at the poa (point of attack) would be better than what he tried to do.

Just from what I saw they looked like they had the talent to be a good Wing-T type offense maybe w/ a slot reciever instead of a wing(I know then its not a wing T but whatever)

Im sorry but I just dont think Zone blocking will work at this level, backs dont have the vision and linemen dont have quick enough feet. Just hit 'em hard and quick, and mix in a little misdirection and option.

The Olivet T is pretty awesome! if you have a fast enough QB to make it work

He did resign. I graduated from PH many, many years ago and I've seen coaches come and watched them go. I think the next hire is important and I just dont see Palmer being the one. Since the rumors started his name has came up in conversation and not too many good things came up. Like I said we need coach not here today, gone tomorrow type of guy. I have a future football player for ph, some of us are waiting to see who is hired before we send them to high school.

After seeing what Richlands has to offer,my little angel is going to transfer there to play football,with so many familys now moving to Richlands,they should be strong again this year,plus a lot of D-1 scouts look at these kids to.That field is unreal,and Greg is the man to get it done.

Edited by land_rider

kids at ph just dont have the morale to lift consistently. they are lazy, well must of them. we have about 6 kids that lift regularly. most being freshmen. the older kids say "they have better things to do" or "i don't need to lift to be good at football." attitudes like that wont get ph any better at football. doesnt matter what coach we have. the problem ph has now is the boys of fall.

kids at ph just dont have the morale to lift consistently. they are lazy, well must of them. we have about 6 kids that lift regularly. most being freshmen. the older kids say "they have better things to do" or "i don't need to lift to be good at football." attitudes like that wont get ph any better at football. doesnt matter what coach we have. the problem ph has now is the boys of fall.

I don't buy that. There are things that a coach can do to get kids out to lift. Just have to be smart, motivated and be able to connect with the kids.

You talk big, how do you get kids out to lift there Mr. Coach?

Use motivational tools, rewards. Those who attend lifting the required days get first choice on equipment. T-shirts, honors, plaques.

I mean, is it that hard to figure out? Patrick Henry isn't the only school to ever have lazy kids.

Use motivational tools, rewards. Those who attend lifting the required days get first choice on equipment. T-shirts, honors, plaques.

I mean, is it that hard to figure out? Patrick Henry isn't the only school to ever have lazy kids.

Its my understanding that Compton did all the above.

well face you are critical of compton critical of possible choices so why dont you tell us who to hire and how they should do it or maybe you should take your knowledge and coaching ablility anmd you coach pH

Its my understanding that Compton did all the above.

He may have attempted, but obviously there was some kinda disconnect. You can design all the programs in the world and have 20 superbowl rings and not connect with the players and build nothing. Looks like that happened.

Please send your resume to:

Human Resources

Washington County Schools

812 Thompson Drive

Abingdon, VA 24210

It sounds like to me you have all of the answers. Get out of the whale's belly and start on your resume, so you can go and "save" PH's football program.

He may have attempted, but obviously there was some kinda disconnect. You can design all the programs in the world and have 20 superbowl rings and not connect with the players and build nothing. Looks like that happened.
Edited by falconfan1

Human Resources

812 Thompson Drive

Abingdon, VA 24210

It sounds like to me you have all of the answers. Get out of the whale's belly and start on your resume, so you can go and "save" PH's football program.

Do you have to have a teaching job in Washington County to coach?

To be the head coach of major sports like football that bring in a lot of money, the County prefers that you work for the school (or any school in Wash. Co.). You don't have to be a teacher, just an employee. They may actually require it for this position, but if it's only a preference, trust me they won't hire you if you don't work for them. It's a safety issue or something.

To my understanding the coach does things to try to get the kids to lift. Such as T-Shirts, priority on equipment over the ones that don't and if I heard right he was going to put players last name on the back of their game jerseys if they made a certain percentage of lifting from now until the beginning of football practice. Heard that this would come out of his own pocket as was several things that ph already has. He has totally improved the weight room 100% from how it was with nice equipment. The tools are their the boys just wont make a committment to be successful. The old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink." seems to be true. I dont have a kid that plays fooyball but from everything ive seen and heard Compton has done everything and then some to try to get program turned around.

Human Resources

812 Thompson Drive

Abingdon, VA 24210

Nah, been there done that. It takes to much effort and I'm getting lazy in my old age. It's alot easier to sit back and tell everybody how to do it than to actually try. I guess they really should just close it down. Maybe start a boy's volleyball team.

To my understanding the coach does things to try to get the kids to lift. Such as T-Shirts, priority on equipment over the ones that don't and if I heard right he was going to put players last name on the back of their game jerseys if they made a certain percentage of lifting from now until the beginning of football practice. Heard that this would come out of his own pocket as was several things that ph already has. He has totally improved the weight room 100% from how it was with nice equipment. The tools are their the boys just wont make a committment to be successful. The old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink." seems to be true. I dont have a kid that plays fooyball but from everything ive seen and heard Compton has done everything and then some to try to get program turned around.

Oh well if that's the case then I guess he should get coach of the year and a raise.

If he truly connected with the kids, then he wouldn't talk about them to other coaches at coaches meetings, clinics, etc.

Oh well if that's the case then I guess he should get coach of the year and a raise.

If he truly connected with the kids, then he wouldn't talk about them to other coaches at coaches meetings, clinics, etc.

I'll agree that its probably not cut and dry. It is unreasonable for us to think Compton cared so little about the program and his reputation as a head coach that he put little to no effort into making the kids better. I believe he tried and I believe his staff has tried. I feel there is just a losing mentality in the school right now and they couldn't overcome it. I'm willing to bet there are several kids in the hallways who could have helped PH succeed but didn't come out for one reason or another. Unlike College and Pro, you can't change the kids you have in high school. The only thing you can change is the one in charge and that was the next logical step for PH until they find someone that can provide a spark in the attitudes of the young guys there. Not just in high school, but in the youth leagues and the middle school. Revamping a program has to be rooted deep in the community. I don't know how deep Compton actually went.