Patrick Henry

Warriors_XO

I work with all county schools and I'm pretty sure Mr. Palmer has applied for every job, yet pulls his name out or doesn't get hired. I think there is more than meets the eye with him. Why is he always trying to leave St. Paul?

Well other than it being St. Paul...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High school Oline is more about getting your head on the right side of the guy you are trying to block and being agressive, thats the point. In college or pro tech thats just the start, its all details. Remember KISS, keep it simple stupid

Well other than it being St. Paul...

Exactly. Who wants to coach their entire career and never make it past the first round of the playoffs? Thats the situation at St. Paul or Ervinton, both fine schools but neither will ever have much football success, the players just arent there. PH may be in that situation right now but they have the enrollment to be competitive, thats appealing.

Edited by redtiger

Holston feels the same about you; however, we did have transfer from Patrick Henry a couple of years ago that seem to work out just fine for us. I think the name Eric Medford may come to mind? LOL Is there anyone else interested in the job rather than Palmer?

That transfer set PH back for years. We still haven't gotten over that. But have to agree with you on the Palmer thing. That has came up in talk over here. Like I said, there are some of us who are watching the hiring process to determine our son(s) future.

And its just Patrick Henry . . . . so your point being? He will be looking for the next job if named as coach? I hope he gets it, the Cavs seem to do just fine against Palmer teams.

Patrick Henry has students. It wouldn't take much, just someone dedicated, to come in and polish up the little league and middle school teams to build a program that can compete in the Hogo. That is my point. PH has plenty of community support, the people there want success unlike say.. Northwood, who are okay with being mediocre. If you have a D2 enrollment and the community to push it, you're fathoms above an Ervinton program already. Not to mention, we're talking about football in the Cumberland here...the Cumberland. Even on a bad football year in the Hogo, it's still head and shoulders above the Cumberland.

And like I already mentioned, it sounds like he likes projects. PH is a perfect one, especially with the success of their 8th grade teams.

The Cavs have done well against ...St. Paul and Ervinton, ultimately, what does that mean? You're twice their size and you've recently had the gift of a good class of athletes.

If Palmer's successes at Ervinton and St. Paul translate to PH, you have something potentially greater than anything he could've accomplished at either of those two schools.

High school Oline is more about getting your head on the right side of the guy you are trying to block and being agressive, thats the point. In college or pro tech thats just the start, its all details. Remember KISS, keep it simple stupid

You proved my point. "In college or pro thats just the start" = Fundamentals.

You have to know the fundamentals at any level of play. Too many kids don't know the fundamentals and a man as successful as him has to be able to know that AND teach that. Any coach on that staff, not just him. I think its easy for a lot of coaches to overlook the fundamentals and focus too much on scheming which appears to be what happened. Their offense was too fancy and their output was..well, subpar.

Considering Palmer has coached at two smallest football playing schools in Virginia Ervinton with a 178 students and St. Paul with 148 students and has won at both those places I think that is pretty good. If he has applied for Patrick Henry job before 425 students in case you are wondering, who could blame him. Haveing 3 times the kids to pick from would be an improvement for him. Oh and Cavdad I like how you support your school, but you are at a small school and talent runs in different years, remember St. Paul was in an up year this year and beat you all. You all were in a run last two years and beat them. Like I said at small schools talent comes in runs. I would hope with 312 students double what St. Paul has you all would beat them every single year.

Deuceswild! You are an idiot for saying that PH has "plenty of community support." That other guy is talking about taking his kid out of PH. You were telling him to bring him on to Chilhowie. You all make me laugh. By the way face, we would greatly appreciate it if you don't bring that attitude down to Abingdon.

Patrick Henry has students. It wouldn't take much, just someone dedicated, to come in and polish up the little league and middle school teams to build a program that can compete in the Hogo. That is my point. PH has plenty of community support, the people there want success unlike say.. Northwood, who are okay with being mediocre. If you have a D2 enrollment and the community to push it, you're fathoms above an Ervinton program already. Not to mention, we're talking about football in the Cumberland here...the Cumberland. Even on a bad football year in the Hogo, it's still head and shoulders above the Cumberland.

And like I already mentioned, it sounds like he likes projects. PH is a perfect one, especially with the success of their 8th grade teams.

The Cavs have done well against ...St. Paul and Ervinton, ultimately, what does that mean? You're twice their size and you've recently had the gift of a good class of athletes.

If Palmer's successes at Ervinton and St. Paul translate to PH, you have something potentially greater than anything he could've accomplished at either of those two schools.

Edited by falconfan1

Deuceswild! You are an idiot for saying that PH has "plenty of community support." That other guy is talking about taking his kid out of PH. You were telling him to bring him on to Chilhowie. You all make me laugh. By the way face, we would greatly appreciate it if you don't bring that attitude down to Abingdon.

My son would play for the warriors before he'd play for Abingdon!

I can't knock the guy for caring about where his kid plays and our exchange was all in jest. Do you know what that means? Oh wait, it says "falconfan1"...I guess that means no.

Despite winning no games, PH still sold tickets. Even for the past 5-6 years when they've not been competitive, they've had support. The community there really cares about their football program despite their rare successes.

I don't expect anyone from Abingdon to realize what goes on outside its confines so I'll excuse you for your ignorance on the matter.

You are correct, Mr.palmer did apply for the PH job the last time it was open. THe job was given to the NFL player instead of a proven coach. Maybe more thought should go into the process this time, instead of giving it to a big name.

Success at the Middle School level doesn't always translate to Friday night wins. Sometimes MS coaches have a superior athlete at that level and its all about winning. Then in turn, HS coaches spend 2-a-days teaching kids the basics, instead of reviewing and tweaking these kids that should know fundamentals already. Practice time is lost, and Friday nights get longer.

I work with all county schools and I'm pretty sure Mr. Palmer has applied for every job, yet pulls his name out or doesn't get hired. I think there is more than meets the eye with him. Why is he always trying to leave St. Paul?

Well let's see, for the last 10 years they have been promised they would close within the next two years. You have no idea what that does to morale and especially to a coach trying to build a program. So clearly he is trying to make sure that he has some type of prospect out there. The last time they should have given it to him and I can garauntee they wouldn't have went 5-25 with the kids they've had. AND his oline would have known how to block.

I know for a fact that compton made this statement in a group full of coaches: "these boys don't know how to block." Whose fault is that?

Jonah 58 ur so full of crap I can smell it from here! If compton said that its just the cold hard truth. Their o-line couldn't block a little league team. They were a bunch of softee's that were to scared to punch somebody in the mouth. I guess if the pro tried to teach them how to pass block as far as move your feet, stay in front of him and be aggressive then that's exactly how he taught them. U expect some one to make chicken salad out of chicken shit? Please!! Besides Compton didn't coach the o-line one of his assistants was assigned that task.

Pro-style offense!! What the hell are u people smoking!! He ran a simple offense that just about everyone in SWVA runs. That amazes me!! Have any u dumba** every seen a pro-style offense other than espn or on tv?! Do you people actually freaking think before u speak?, cause u are the exact reason people outside of here think we are dumb in-bred hill billies. C'mon Man!!

Pro-style offense!! What the hell are u people smoking!! He ran a simple offense that just about everyone in SWVA runs. That amazes me!! Have any u dumba** every seen a pro-style offense other than espn or on tv?! Do you people actually freaking think before u speak?, cause u are the exact reason people outside of here think we are dumb in-bred hill billies. C'mon Man!!

No one said "pro-style offense" that I could find in this thread.

And for the athletes they had, the offense they ran was pretty retarded. Most of their plays took too much time to develop or required their quarterback to taste dirt. Sometimes that was the same play.

And you go by "meaty" so calling the rest of us "dumb, in-bred hill billies" is not only uncalled for and inaccurate but somewhat hypocritical.

Jonah 58 ur so full of crap I can smell it from here! If compton said that its just the cold hard truth. Their o-line couldn't block a little league team. They were a bunch of softee's that were to scared to punch somebody in the mouth. I guess if the pro tried to teach them how to pass block as far as move your feet, stay in front of him and be aggressive then that's exactly how he taught them. U expect some one to make chicken salad out of chicken shit? Please!! Besides Compton didn't coach the o-line one of his assistants was assigned that task.

Hey genius if their O-line doesn't block well and compton had one of his assistant coaching the O-line that shows how stupid he is. Why didn't he coach them? And as far as being full of crap, that thin skull of yours must be full of crap because obviously you had so much of it in your eyes you couldn't see that compton's offense didn't suit the kinda kids he had. Heck Helen Keller could have won 7 games with Ronnie Groves. That ain't chicken crap.

Nope! I'm a dumb hillbilly too! I'm just like the rest of you, I'm making dumbass statements that have no fact behind them and I'm hiding behind a login name. Just like every coward on here. Only difference is that my hillybilly up bringing taught me that if I have something to say I say it to the person face-to-face like a man! What offense could he and his staff run? They have small, under size lineman who are as weak as 3 day old piss. Maybe u should research the spread before u make statements. As far as ronnie groves have u ever heard of the spread utlizing athletes? Oh, my bad that word and ph don't belong in same sentence. There was a reason the great Ritchie Thomas got out of coaching. He saw what was coming! The fact is the principal at ph aint even gonna let his son play at ph. Cause even he knows the attitude that most, not all the boys have at ph.

M

And for the athletes they had, the offense they ran was pretty retarded. Most of their plays took too much time to develop or required their quarterback to taste dirt. Sometimes that was the same play.

And you go by "meaty" so calling the rest of us "dumb, in-bred hill billies" is not only uncalled for and inaccurate but somewhat hypocritical.

Hey deuce I got news for u buddy! The QB ate dirt cause the lineman that were in front of him sucked! The second coming of Jesus Christ couldn't have made them play or block any better. I'm sure if u go down to the school the coach or coaches will be more than happy to watch some game film with u and as they say "the proof is in the pudding". I mean their guards were so bad they couldn't even run trap plays!

Dude, if you know so much get off your a$$ and go get a degree then sign up for coaching. Ph could use you down there, I think you would find out real quick you know nothing and run back to little league ball. My dad knows a couple of their coaches and they work their tail off unlike you downing people you know nothing about. Go back to your day job somebody needs you to turn on that gas pump outside-I think it is pump #3.

Dude, if you know so much get off your a$$ and go get a degree then sign up for coaching. Ph could use you down there, I think you would find out real quick you know nothing and run back to little league ball. My dad knows a couple of their coaches and they work their tail off unlike you downing people you know nothing about. Go back to your day job somebody needs you to turn on that gas pump outside-I think it is pump #3.

You can work your tail off and care about something and still not be very good.

You saw PH play exactly once this year, I bet. How many times did their plays end in the backfield? Regardless of the status of the offensive line, most of their plays took 2 seconds before the ball was ever handed off. The tailback played about 10 yards off the center. Why!? The plays where they did hand the ball off quick was when they were in the spread, with only 5 down linemen set to pass block. Not run block, mind you. And out of the shotgun. You might as well have hung an arrow over the runningback's head and had a neon flashing sign above it.

Tell me I'm wrong.

I'm not saying a more crisp exchange from quarterback to runningback would've made a huge difference. But there is a big difference in losing 5 yards as opposed to 1. It's things like this that PH never adjusted.

You can't do that without a line. You CANNOT. When you don't have the players to run your offense...change your offense. It's not rocket science. Adapting playcalling should happen in the game. Not over the course of a week or a season. The last couple of years that I've seen PH, I've seen none of that. I've seen a lot of the same things go wrong over and over.

Now, who do I blame that on?

Nice cheap shots southbound, but they don't work on me.

Edited by deuceswild

M

Hey deuce I got news for u buddy! The QB ate dirt cause the lineman that were in front of him sucked! The second coming of Jesus Christ couldn't have made them play or block any better. I'm sure if u go down to the school the coach or coaches will be more than happy to watch some game film with u and as they say "the proof is in the pudding". I mean their guards were so bad they couldn't even run trap plays!

Isn't that what we're talking about? Why are we even pretending to disagree?

This is what I've said so far...

Patrick Henry's football team wasn't very good. They had good skill players but lacked size and fundamentals at the offensive line.

They have lacked this for three to four years.

Compton has been there during this time. No line play has positively developed.

My assumptions are either A) the crop of kids just are that bad or B) Compton and his crew aren't teaching fundamentals or C) the youth and middle school programs aren't teaching fundamentals for Compton and his crew to improve upon.

Essentially, any football team's struggles start with the line. This being Compton's forte, one would've thought (maybe its just me) that this area could have seen some improvement.

Am I way off base?

That was sorta my point duceswild, often coaches who played at a high level get caught up in details and not on basics.

After watching the '09 and '10 Abingdon vs PH game films, the offense for PH is a train wreck. The players are slow and weak, and the offensive scheme is fundamentally flawed. Just my opnion

Nope! I'm a dumb hillbilly too! I'm just like the rest of you, I'm making dumbass statements that have no fact behind them and I'm hiding behind a login name. Just like every coward on here. Only difference is that my hillybilly up bringing taught me that if I have something to say I say it to the person face-to-face like a man! What offense could he and his staff run? They have small, under size lineman who are as weak as 3 day old piss. Maybe u should research the spread before u make statements. As far as ronnie groves have u ever heard of the spread utlizing athletes? Oh, my bad that word and ph don't belong in same sentence. There was a reason the great Ritchie Thomas got out of coaching. He saw what was coming! The fact is the principal at ph aint even gonna let his son play at ph. Cause even he knows the attitude that most, not all the boys have at ph.

Well let's see . . . . split back veer, double slot option (like navy), wing t, double wing, straight t, olivet wing t, bay city t, pretty much any offense where the blocking scheme is set up to allow for the linemen to block straight ahead the least amount possible (multiple angles) or for there to be double teams at the poa (point of attack) would be better than what he tried to do.

Heck, you can even line up in shotgun spread, but have wing t sound and proven blocking fundamentals for your line. He didn't do that. He lined them up and said "zone block" which don't mean a hill of beans to these boys and then got mad and disconnected.

As far as saying it to his face, I have talked with him before and he knows how I feel about him. Thanks.