Patrick Henry

Warriors_XO

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Compton the best. I feel he had good intentions but he just not a high school coach. I think he will do fine in college. We need someone that can get kids out and get them excited about football. We need a proven winner. I have someone in mind but will remain silent until he decides he wants to put in for the job.

I wish Compton the best. I feel he had good intentions but he just not a high school coach. I think he will do fine in college. We need someone that can get kids out and get them excited about football. We need a proven winner. I have someone in mind but will remain silent until he decides he wants to put in for the job.

Ah, sorry man. I'm probably not going to put in...I'm not an employee of the school board.

they need playas an coachs they sux. we beat there a$$ last nite! go ahead #10 talk some mor on FB! u got ur a$$ beat.

who cares bout #10 for bball we dont like him any way. we r talking bout football anyway... this is prob a holston redneck anyway...kyle johnson?

Listen, all this talk about connecting with kids is absurd. If wanting a young man to do his best and compete with his team mates is cause for disconnection then I guess he didnt connect. If working hard and playing how the coaches asked and coached you to is cause then he and his staff didnt connect. Every coach is different but at least with coach compton you knew where he stood and was going to be honest with you. He didnt play favorites. He treated everyone the same. All that he asked for was hard work, dedication and the desire to compete. You cant give a kid the desire to want to compete. That comes from within. As far as his "pro" style blocking and offense it was the easiest stuff around. You blocked a gap.

Listen, all this talk about connecting with kids is absurd. If wanting a young man to do his best and compete with his team mates is cause for disconnection then I guess he didnt connect. If working hard and playing how the coaches asked and coached you to is cause then he and his staff didnt connect. Every coach is different but at least with coach compton you knew where he stood and was going to be honest with you. He didnt play favorites. He treated everyone the same. All that he asked for was hard work, dedication and the desire to compete. You cant give a kid the desire to want to compete. That comes from within. As far as his "pro" style blocking and offense it was the easiest stuff around. You blocked a gap.

You blocked a gap? HAHAHAHAHA That explains alot. Thanks. Now I know why their qb got sacked 67 times.

Maybe he should have taught them "who" to block rather than a gap. I've never seen a gap sack a qb. Hahahahhaha

You blocked a gap? HAHAHAHAHA That explains alot. Thanks. Now I know why their qb got sacked 67 times.

Maybe he should have taught them "who" to block rather than a gap. I've never seen a gap sack a qb. Hahahahhaha

Lol, maybe the blocking schemes were a little TOO simple. What a joke.

Zone blocking wont work against a regular 8 man front, it just wont. In high school formations and motion open up running lanes not superior blocking. Zone blocking doesent hit a gap it looks for the defense to stretch too far and open up a gap, against an 8 man front there is a linebacker standing in that gap. Either trap, option, double team or have the backs hit the hole fast(dives) thats all that will work (at this level).

Im all for innovation but out of the 40 or so local SWVA schools do any of them use zone blocking? I dont think so. They may take zone plays and adapt them to trap schemes i.e. Abingdon runs a Zone Read type play form a 2x2 set but they pull the guard and tackle to the bakside to lead for the HB, if the DE crashes then the QB keeps the ball, its not the ZR but it is ZR inspired.

Draw the plays up against a 4-4 or a 3-5 defense and its easy to see it wont work, and most schools run an 8 man front(six man against a 4 wide set) unless the offense throws the ball really, REALLY well and most dont

Just because something is simple and easy doesent mean its smart

Zone blocking wont work against a regular 8 man front, it just wont. In high school formations and motion open up running lanes not superior blocking. Zone blocking doesent hit a gap it looks for the defense to stretch too far and open up a gap, against an 8 man front there is a linebacker standing in that gap. Either trap, option, double team or have the backs hit the hole fast(dives) thats all that will work (at this level).

Im all for innovation but out of the 40 or so local SWVA schools do any of them use zone blocking? I dont think so. They may take zone plays and adapt them to trap schemes i.e. Abingdon runs a Zone Read type play form a 2x2 set but they pull the guard and tackle to the bakside to lead for the HB, if the DE crashes then the QB keeps the ball, its not the ZR but it is ZR inspired.

Draw the plays up against a 4-4 or a 3-5 defense and its easy to see it wont work, and most schools run an 8 man front(six man against a 4 wide set) unless the offense throws the ball really, REALLY well and most dont

You got that right. The play you are talking about pulling the guard and tackle and reading the end is GT read. If it was just the tackle it would be tackle trap read.

I have seen some schools zone block successfully if they count the defenders in the tackle box correctly and make sure you get a good push on the double teams. Haysi has been successful at that in the past, especially when Bubba was there. But it takes some coaching.

My son's crunch bunch team "blocks a gap" haha

It usually doesn't work so they just give it to the fastest kid and tell him to get to the edge haha

Maybe that's what PH was trying to do.

If you have quick, big linemen and a smart QB that reads the Defence and audibles the offense into good situations then it will work but those are rare situations.

It has to be a quick and effective double team because the defender has the angle on the O linemen

A lot of little league coaches do that and its terrible for the players, the backs try to out athlete opponents and the linemen dont really learn what blocking is

A read option and a zone play are very different

You have got to be kidding me redtiger! "Defence!" Are you really serious? If you can't spell the term used for football, then I don't know how we are to take this guys intuitive posts.

If you have quick, big linemen and a smart QB that reads the Defence and audibles the offense into good situations then it will work but those are rare situations.

It has to be a quick and effective double team because the defender has the angle on the O linemen

A lot of little league coaches do that and its terrible for the players, the backs try to out athlete opponents and the linemen dont really learn what blocking is

Edited by falconfan1

Depends. Is it a zone read or are you taling about reading the EMLOS in the veer, the B gap defender in Midline or what? If it is zone read, then you block it the same but instead of sealing the 5 tech or cutting him off you read him. Same blocking though.

Now if you are talking about the wide zone that Gibbs and Bugle made popular in the late 90's (Denver Broncos) then it is different. But that is a stretch zone play and is actually one of the easiest plays to run in HS football because you don't have to get movement, just seams. But I do agree your linemen have to be quick and have good feet. And it is better to run from under center with TE's and H backs.

Depends. Is it a zone read or are you taling about reading the EMLOS in the veer, the B gap defender in Midline or what? If it is zone read, then you block it the same but instead of sealing the 5 tech or cutting him off you read him. Same blocking though.

Now if you are talking about the wide zone that Gibbs and Bugle made popular in the late 90's (Denver Broncos) then it is different. But that is a stretch zone play and is actually one of the easiest plays to run in HS football because you don't have to get movement, just seams. But I do agree your linemen have to be quick and have good feet. And it is better to run from under center with TE's and H backs.

Gibbs and Bugle were with the Redskins in the late 80's early 90's...... not the Broncos.

Oh well if that's the case then I guess he should get coach of the year and a raise.

If he truly connected with the kids, then he wouldn't talk about them to other coaches at coaches meetings, clinics, etc.

I got news for you all coaches talk about there players. Because all of share similar stories. The thing that gets me is you constantly bring up superbowl rings! what does that have to do with any thing? The man earned those as a player, he wasnt a coach. Did the whole community think that just because they had a coach that had 2 rings that was their ticket to success? I dont think so but i do know this. You dont get 2 superbowl rings by being lazy, not working hard and finding excuses. No! the truth is the man came from similar background as the kids he was coaching and tried to teach them that success wouldnt come easy and that thru hard work, dedication and sacrafice things would eventually turn in favor of the rebels. Say what you want but the man, in my opinion was laying a foundation for a program and everybody wants it the easy way. Got news for you people there isnt an easy way.

Obiviously you have no idea what your talking abou when it comes to the spread offense. if its an 8 man front then they shouldnt be running the ball know -it-all. the rebels did run dive, counter action and even the counter trey that abingdon uses. plus they read the zone play just like abingdon and every other spread team in the entire world. What games did u watch! they also had gap protection which is a slide protection that covers evry gap from the front side to the back side. If the gaps are covered then where are the defenders going to rush? DUH!! they also blocked man protection as well, but thanks to lack of strength and athleticism were over ran. The days of blocking the old little league rule of on, over or inside has changed since then.

Don't tell the teams that are winning with that on,over, or inside has changed. Ask poor ol' East Montgomery or even Richlands what kind of blocking rules Riverheads and Poquoson used. Heck look at Gate City they were as old school and traditional as could be they won as well.

Edited by Blue_Crue

I got news for you all coaches talk about there players. Because all of share similar stories. The thing that gets me is you constantly bring up superbowl rings! what does that have to do with any thing? The man earned those as a player, he wasnt a coach. Did the whole community think that just because they had a coach that had 2 rings that was their ticket to success? I dont think so but i do know this. You dont get 2 superbowl rings by being lazy, not working hard and finding excuses. No! the truth is the man came from similar background as the kids he was coaching and tried to teach them that success wouldnt come easy and that thru hard work, dedication and sacrafice things would eventually turn in favor of the rebels. Say what you want but the man, in my opinion was laying a foundation for a program and everybody wants it the easy way. Got news for you people there isnt an easy way.

You are so defensive. you are either compton or his son. And that first sentence made no sense whatsoever.

Don't tell the teams that are winning with that on,over, or inside has changed. Ask poor ol' East Montgomery or even Richlands what kind of blocking rules Riverheads and Poquoson used. Heck look at Gate City they were as old school and traditional as could be they won as well.

Actually Riverheads uses Hugh Wyatt's Double Wing blocking rules and it's Inside Gap, On, Down or Inside Gap, On, OVer, Down, depending on if you are at the POA or not. Then they pull their G and T to either kick out and seal on the counter or both seal inside of FB's kickout on power. I was at the state game this year and they ran power and counter 99 percent of the time. They tried one trap and one or two waggle passes and that's it. 2 plays got them 69 points.

Patrick Henry's blocking scheme was no where near the same.