Is Richlands dropping to A?

VHSLhelper

By the time these schools "drop" I feel like reclassifications will already be in effect. I can't imagine Richlands and Twin Valley playing for the same state trophy. I figure a 5A or 6A Virginia is near. At least...I'm hoping.

if everyone else was going to drop, they should have all done so at the same time and kept the SWD intact, just made it an A level district...damage is done now.

Richlands and Tazewell aren't projected to hit 'A' numbers until 2013 (as mentioned in the article), and they probably weren't willing to gamble with hardship status to drop sooner. That's why the four core schools didn't drop together.

By the time these schools "drop" I feel like reclassifications will already be in effect. I can't imagine Richlands and Twin Valley playing for the same state trophy. I figure a 5A or 6A Virginia is near. At least...I'm hoping.

Should've been done this way long ago. Of course, the A-AA-AAA system was set up before the NOVA population explosion, which made the system virtually toothless.

Should've been done this way long ago. Of course, the A-AA-AAA system was set up before the NOVA population explosion, which made the system virtually toothless.

Yeah, even in the 80's we saw the need for divisions. We should've had the foresight then to be like, "Hey wait a minute, this system is only 15 years old. It's not too late to alter it a bit."

But instead it was more like, "Hey, lets wait 30 years and let shiz get fooed. Then we'll talk about it changing it and not really do it for another 10 years."

Then it became, "Fk it, we're too drunk to care anymore. Let the regions decide what they want to do, it's happy hour for Tom Dolan. ROLL TIDE I'M TOM DOLAN!"

Yeah, even in the 80's we saw the need for divisions. We should've had the foresight then to be like, "Hey wait a minute, this system is only 15 years old. It's not too late to alter it a bit."

But instead it was more like, "Hey, lets wait 30 years and let shiz get fooed. Then we'll talk about it changing it and not really do it for another 10 years."

Then it became, "Fk it, we're too drunk to care anymore. Let the regions decide what they want to do, it's happy hour for Tom Dolan. ROLL TIDE I'M TOM DOLAN!"

LOL.

Seriously, I can come up with a system off the top of my head that is better than what the VHSL has.

1. Rule 1: the numbers are HARD CAPS. No "petitioning".

2. Rule 2: five classifications.

3. Rule 3: eliminate districts, and do it like WV/PA.

4. Rule 4: playoffs will take Top 16 from each classification to compete for A-AAAAA state titles.

5. A: 0-400 students, 9-12

6. AA: 400-800 students, 9-12

7. AAA: 800-1200 students, 9-12

8. AAAA: 1200-1800 students, 9-12

9. AAAAA: 1800+ students, 9-12.

Bada bing, bada boom. Workable system.

That really does make sense to me, the only thing I have a problem with is completly doing away with the districts, just because schools that geographically isolated would have a hard time filling out there schedule(Haysi, Grundy, TV, Hurley, Lee, Thomas Walker). But I like that setup.

How about just take the total number of schools and divide them into equal 5ths or 6ths and there are your classifications? I know the A division would be a little unbalanced (500+ schools in the same division with lower 200 schools) but I think it would work out pretty well

Richlands and Tazewell aren't projected to hit 'A' numbers until 2013 (as mentioned in the article), and they probably weren't willing to gamble with hardship status to drop sooner. That's why the four core schools didn't drop together.

Wrong - Tazewell already has A numbers.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-Sept_30-membership-figures.pdf

That really does make sense to me, the only thing I have a problem with is completly doing away with the districts, just because schools that geographically isolated would have a hard time filling out there schedule(Haysi, Grundy, TV, Hurley, Lee, Thomas Walker). But I like that setup.

How about just take the total number of schools and divide them into equal 5ths or 6ths and there are your classifications? I know the A division would be a little unbalanced (500+ schools in the same division with lower 200 schools) but I think it would work out pretty well

I for one would like to see Hurley. Grundy and TwinValley combine into a county school or at the least Hurley and Grundy. and then twin valley and council. as much as Grundy and Hurley has there troubles it would be some real great sports programs. and as a county resident I would love to see the I'm better than you put to rest and let the rest of the state know what kind of talent we have here.

I for one would like to see Hurley. Grundy and TwinValley combine into a county school or at the least Hurley and Grundy. and then twin valley and council. as much as Grundy and Hurley has there troubles it would be some real great sports programs. and as a county resident I would love to see the I'm better than you put to rest and let the rest of the state know what kind of talent we have here.

until they build a better road from Hurley to Grundy, I wouldn't want my kid going over the mountain every day in the winter to go to school...if they build a county school it will be up on poplar gap...and that's another nice trip to make in the snow...from anywhere.

Besides the fact I don't want to see the tradition they have at Hurley come to an end...Smiley, The Cliff, The Rebels...you just won't ever see certain parts of what is in place right now ever again if it comes to an end...they may be small and have a hard time, but that's part of being Hurley and they have been that way since before the 1950's and it's still that way 60 years later...I don't want to see that end.

I wouldn't mind something like that, really. But then you may have the problem with setting numbers and school enrollment changes leading to sparely-populated divisions and divisions that are just overloaded with teams. But in theory, a good idea.

I would hope that by doing away with districts, it would provide an incentive for all those teams to play teams neighboring them. I could see Lee/Buchanan/Dickinson Counties having trouble with that, but they could find some KY competition, and make it work much like it does now, corresponding attendance to classification.

If the geographic regions were still in place then an equal 5ths setup wouldnt work but I think it would be ok is a state wide format or even East/West, also I dont know what the automatic power points are for the divisions(1 for playiong a D1 school 6 for playing a D6 school?) but do away with it, thus encouraging schools to play teams from lower classifications. Every 2-4 years or so re divide the groups, some schools would move up and down reguralry but thats really not a huge deal

I think the equal split concept isint perfect and better ideas are out there but it is better than what we are doing right now. I really look for VHSL football to be completly revamped very soon. I think the East/West, hard cutoff limit setup that may be coming to A next year is a trial run for a system that may be implemented statewide in a 5-6 group system.

Is the proposed setup official or is it still just a proposal?

Edited by redtiger

until they build a better road from Hurley to Grundy, I wouldn't want my kid going over the mountain every day in the winter to go to school...if they build a county school it will be up on poplar gap...and that's another nice trip to make in the snow...from anywhere.

Besides the fact I don't want to see the tradition they have at Hurley come to an end...Smiley, The Cliff, The Rebels...you just won't ever see certain parts of what is in place right now ever again if it comes to an end...they may be small and have a hard time, but that's part of being Hurley and they have been that way since before the 1950's and it's still that way 60 years later...I don't want to see that end.

The tax base is what will decide whether there is any more consolidation in Buchanan County. I wouldn't want to see Hurley lose there High School either but if one of the big 3 coal companys ( example: Console)where to fold I'd say unless us regular Joe's could stand the tax increase it will happen eventualy. It's all about the money and everybody has there opinion but when it comes time to pay to back your opinion opinions will change.

Edited by gridironguru

The tax base is what will decide whether there is any more consolidation in Buchanan County. I wouldn't want to see Hurley lose there High School either but if one of the big 3 coal companys ( example: Console)where to fold I'd say unless us regular Joe's could stand the tax increase it will happen eventualy. It's all about the money and everybody has there opinion but when it comes time to pay to back your opinion opinions will change.

my opinion has nothing to do with money...until they get better roads, it's not safe.

Abingdon and Carroll County are the largest schools below Pulaski. I think CC has more students? Those two schools are going to be traveling a long way to play anyone in their district. There needs to be a consolidation of the schools in all counties in this area. There are some rich histories in the schools; but our school systems are going to be bankrupted in the future. Consolidation of the schools would cut down on athletic travel expense and unnecessary spending for a 150 population school.

my opinion has nothing to do with money...until they get better roads, it's not safe.

Im not attacking your opinion and I agree with you Rockhouse isnt safe in the winter time especially if there at school and it snows. Im saying politics will move schools together when the money says they have too..Hope they never do but when and if coal severance money runs out or is drasaticaly reduced will see things none of us want to see.

Im not attacking your opinion and I agree with you Rockhouse isnt safe in the winter time especially if there at school and it snows. Im saying politics will move schools together when the money says they have too..Hope they never do but when and if coal severance money runs out or is drasaticaly reduced will see things none of us want to see.

yeah i know, just saying...what i said wasn't based on what you were talking about...from an economic standpoint they would have moved Hurley to Grundy years ago if that was all that was at play.

The rumor I heard was that Abingdon WANTED to move down a classification as soon as possible.

Something about getting in a district with a good geographic fit and not having the VHSL mandate a district.

So Abingdon wants the VHSL to move the entire town of Abingdon to the Roanoke Valley...

So Abingdon wants the VHSL to move the entire town of Abingdon to the Roanoke Valley...

No, he's saying Abingdon wants to be in a District with John Battle, Holston, Patrick Henry, and Northwood...