Bluefield's Schedule

Guest Highlanders

The 86-0 score came from Wyoming East a few years back. And if you can recall Bluefield had 5 TDs of more than 50 yareds and 4 of them came off of FB traps right up the middle late in the game. Does Bluefield put up alot of points, yes. But alot of them come from big yardage plays. I can not recall anytime Simon throwing deep bombs late in the second half when up a bunch. The point system deal, some may not agree with. I think Coach Mance likes having home field any time he can get it when regionals come around and the more points the better. Playing a good team in Bluefield will help teams that are not in jeopardy of missing the playoffs, Gate City last year and Richlands every year. But beating Pulaski with a good record will help Richlands more with points.

The WV teams that don't or won't play Bluefield are at jeopardy each year when comes playoffs. Other than James Monroe, most southern AA schools are one or two games from making or not making the playoffs. And like mentioned previously in a post, if you lose a game in WV you don't get ANY points. Bluefield has played South Charleston, Martinsburg, and schools from out of state each year and the bigger the class and win gets you more points.

Graham will never not play Bluefield. It is too big of a rivalry and the gate is huge, they split it every year. It has nothing to do with Graham not being scared. It is the money and the history.

The Bluefield scheduling drama and the schools "ducking" them will go on for many years, unless WV mandates conferences, which I hope they don't. And everyone will have their own opinion on the topic. Just try to look at other peoples as well.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this has been suggested a few times before but why not do like the MSAC in AAA and the cardinal conference in AA develop a conference for the AA schools in this part of the state. Have schools such as Bluefield,Pikeview,Westside,Wyoming East,Summers County,Mt View,Riverside, and Mingo Central have to play each other. To me that would eliminate any scheduling problems the schools might have. They do it in basketball why not football?

The 86-0 score came from Wyoming East a few years back. And if you can recall Bluefield had 5 TDs of more than 50 yareds and 4 of them came off of FB traps right up the middle late in the game. Does Bluefield put up alot of points, yes. But alot of them come from big yardage plays. I can not recall anytime Simon throwing deep bombs late in the second half when up a bunch. The point system deal, some may not agree with. I think Coach Mance likes having home field any time he can get it when regionals come around and the more points the better. Playing a good team in Bluefield will help teams that are not in jeopardy of missing the playoffs, Gate City last year and Richlands every year. But beating Pulaski with a good record will help Richlands more with points.

The WV teams that don't or won't play Bluefield are at jeopardy each year when comes playoffs. Other than James Monroe, most southern AA schools are one or two games from making or not making the playoffs. And like mentioned previously in a post, if you lose a game in WV you don't get ANY points. Bluefield has played South Charleston, Martinsburg, and schools from out of state each year and the bigger the class and win gets you more points.

Graham will never not play Bluefield. It is too big of a rivalry and the gate is huge, they split it every year. It has nothing to do with Graham not being scared. It is the money and the history.

The Bluefield scheduling drama and the schools "ducking" them will go on for many years, unless WV mandates conferences, which I hope they don't. And everyone will have their own opinion on the topic. Just try to look at other peoples as well.

I totally agree with scheduling the bigger schools to get your team prepared but I also like to see 10 games on Bluefield's schedule regardless of who it is and just like you said as long as there is no conference this will be an issue I'm afraid every year.

I know this has been suggested a few times before but why not do like the MSAC in AAA and the cardinal conference in AA develop a conference for the AA schools in this part of the state. Have schools such as Bluefield,Pikeview,Westside,Wyoming East,Summers County,Mt View,Riverside, and Mingo Central have to play each other. To me that would eliminate any scheduling problems the schools might have. They do it in basketball why not football?

The only problem is, those schools don't want Bluefield to be a part of any such Conference. The movement to create a "conference" without Bluefield and James Monroe started several years ago...

I know very little about the Bluefield program other than they are the Beavers, their colors are Navy/Burgandy and they are good but I will say this (and im gonna catch heat for it) beating a team 86-0 is the biggest jackass move a program can make. I dont care that it was on inside trap plays, PUT THE SECOND TEAM IN! If your gonna embarass inferior teams dont cry and whine when they wont play you.

Its rediculious to put up scores like,

'07 Mount View 62-0

'06 Grundy 60-7

'01 Man 60-14

theres no need for that and unless the 3rd team was in, no excuse

Edited by redtiger

I know very little about the Bluefield program other than they are the Beavers, their colors are Navy/Burgandy and they are good but I will say this (and im gonna catch heat for it) beating a team 86-0 is the biggest jackass move a program can make. I dont care that it was on inside trap plays, PUT THE SECOND TEAM IN! If your gonna embarass inferior teams dont cry and whine when they wont play you.

'07 Mount View 62-0

'06 Grundy 60-7

'01 Man 60-14

theres no need for that and unless the 3rd team is in no excuse

Just so you know, back in 1999 when Bluefield played Wyoming East in the state title game, the Beavers had pretty well took the starters out as they were way behind. So what does East coach Kevin Grogg do? He puts his starters back in and lets Tank Tunstalle run wild in the fourth quarter and ran up the score. Freddy never forgot that. That is why he beat Grogg 86-0, and just so you know Grogg helped him out that night by enacting a little known rule that you can kick off after you have been scored on, and he did it repeatedly. so Freddy obliged him. These last two seasons Freddy could have named his score against Graham and didn't run up the score. Its called respect. And besides, Mount View in 07 and Grundy in 06 were terrible, absolutely pathetic. They couldn't line up, and I saw both of those teams. If I remember correctly Freddy has his second team against Grundy that year at the start of the second quarter.

So the group of players from Mount View in '07 should pay for their coach being a jackass 8 years earlier? I call BS.

And I dont care how terrible those teams were, its no excuse for doing that to them. And if there really is that big of a difference in talent between two programs they shouldnt play each other! Its got nothing to do w/ being afraid.

I cant speak for Mount View but yes Grundy did have several years where they were terrible. In '07 Haysi could have pushed the score up around 60 or so and didnt(score was 48-0 w/ second team offense in most of the 4th quarter). Theres a little bad blood between Haysi/Grundy but that didnt prevent Haysi from showing a little class.

Edited by redtiger

'07 Mount View 62-0

'06 Grundy 60-7

'01 Man 60-14

theres no need for that and unless the 3rd team was in, no excuse

I do believe they had their subs in......in the 4th quarter in most if not all of those games, somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Come on, seriously...it's hard NOT to put up 60 on Mount View....short of taking a knee...or 40 on Graham the past 2 seasons for that matter (and I'm a Graham fan).

I do believe that 86-0 score was unnecessary....kind of Phil Robbins' ish....if you ask me...(although, Wyoming East was asking for it)....

http://www.roanoke.com/printer/printpage.aspx?arcID=14918

Edited by futbolking

Just so you know, back in 1999 when Bluefield played Wyoming East in the state title game, the Beavers had pretty well took the starters out as they were way behind. So what does East coach Kevin Grogg do? He puts his starters back in and lets Tank Tunstalle run wild in the fourth quarter and ran up the score. Freddy never forgot that. That is why he beat Grogg 86-0, and just so you know Grogg helped him out that night by enacting a little known rule that you can kick off after you have been scored on, and he did it repeatedly. so Freddy obliged him. These last two seasons Freddy could have named his score against Graham and didn't run up the score. Its called respect. And besides, Mount View in 07 and Grundy in 06 were terrible, absolutely pathetic. They couldn't line up, and I saw both of those teams. If I remember correctly Freddy has his second team against Grundy that year at the start of the second quarter.

Absolutely correct, I remember it all too well now....thanks for the reminder.

redtiger...

I'm sure you have never seen Bluefield play. The games you brought to question, I was at all of them. Most of those games were over in the 1st half. The MV game was over by the 10 minute mark of the 1st Q as Bluefield already led 20-0 on a KO return and two TDs on plays immediately after turnovers by MV...the score was 41-0 at the end of the 1stQ. Bluefield substituted liberally in all of those games...starters never played more than a series in the 2nd half. Fact is, against those teams, Bluefield's 2nd and 3rd teamers scored several touchdowns.

The game against Wyoming East was awful. Bluefield built a 42-0 halftime lead and the first team scored on the first play of the first possession of the 2nd half. Subs played the rest of the game and scored on offense, defense, and special teams. WE even elected to kick-off after Bluefield scored to put them over 70 points, and the 3rd team scored on the next play on a fullback dive from about 70 yards out.

What's a coach to do when his 2nd and 3rd teamers are scoring at will against an opponent? Take a knee on every play? Well, to tell you the truth, they did on PATs...

So the group of players from Mount View in '07 should pay for their coach being a jackass 8 years earlier? I call BS.

That was Wyoming East, not Mount View, that had the jackass coach. And it wasn't 8 years earlier, it was three years earlier and WE had beaten Bluefield the previous year 46-19 when Bluefield went 2-8 on the season.

That was Wyoming East, not Mount View, that had the jackass coach. And it wasn't 8 years earlier, it was three years earlier and WE had beaten Bluefield the previous year 46-19 when Bluefield went 2-8 on the season.

He obviously wasn't reading the wvspn board 10 and 11 years ago also. LOL

As a Richlands fan I can understand how it is when people are talking about you running up the score.. when you have your JV team in and they are still scoring points, it really is a no win for a coach, if you let them play the score keeps going up.. but if you just came out and kept taking a knee then you would catch hell over that as well, Bluefield has had several teams over the years I'm sure that were that same way, just had that much more talent than the teams they were playing against. And to say you "shouldn't be playing team that much worse than you" sounds good and all, but fact of the matter is you have to play who is on your schedule, and you can't always predict from year to year what the talent level of a particular team may be.

How many players have been on Mt. Views's team the last few years?????? 20????

Anytime that anyone wants to comment on a Bluefield game WITHOUT seeing the game in person and then call a team and their coach for making a "jackass move" can shut the hell up and take it elsewhere. I also know for a fact how long the starters played for Bluefield in those games (and many others) and I also know that the second and third strings played a lot of those games.

Just last season, Bluefield had a ninth grader that scored multiple long yardage touchdowns in mop up duty.

Is he supposed to just fall down as soon as he gets the ball and not try?????? How is he supposed to learn the game for his future without experience??????

And I dont care how terrible those teams were, its no excuse for doing that to them. And if there really is that big of a difference in talent between two programs they shouldnt play each other! Its got nothing to do w/ being afraid.

I cant speak for Mount View but yes Grundy did have several years where they were terrible. In '07 Haysi could have pushed the score up around 60 or so and didnt(score was 48-0 w/ second team offense in most of the 4th quarter). Theres a little bad blood between Haysi/Grundy but that didnt prevent Haysi from showing a little class.

I seem to remember Mance running it up on Tazewell 61-0 a few years ago. Why aren't you all over the Richlands people for that? Just sayin......

Listen, im not "all over" anyone, just giving my opnion, but if you are going to put up scores like those then teams arent going to want to play you, thats just how it is. If the 2nd and 3rd team is in then no the coach cant do anything about the score but the fact remains, teams arent gonna want to play you.

No, ive never seen Bluefield play.

Running the score up on a group of players that had nothing to do w/ a game that occured years earlier is a jackass move, it just is. If that was the reason for running up the score.

And no you cant predict talent from year to year, it varies, its high school football. Thats the exact reason Haysi wont play schools that are alot bigger than we are, some years we can compete and some we cant. But thats not scared, its just sensible.

My bad on the MV/WE mixup, but CPF did give the years '99 and '07, thats 8.

The fact is Bluefield is an elite program, elite programs have to travel. It does neither team any good to play if Bluefield is far better.

Edited by redtiger

If Bluefield is 60+ points better than some of these schools why would they want to play them anyway?

Oh and Richlands putting up 61 points on Tazewell is kinda excessived but thats 1 game in alot of years. Those kind of scores do happen from time to time, in '08 Haysi beat East Ridge 65-0, it was one of those cases where the 2nd team scored 3-4 times, Haysi doesent have a 3rd team. Those scores cant be helped.

Does WV have a running clock rule for when the scores get outta hand?

Maybe calling it a jackass move is a little excessive but I personally have never seen a game where a score of 86-0 couldnt be avoided.

If Charlotte Day was to beat Bluefield 86-0 would Bluefield reschedule them?

Edited by redtiger

Probably....they beat the pants off of Bluefield last year...

CCD is on a level that no schools in this area are on....yet, Bluefield pursued a series with them....if I'm correct, last year was the 2nd year in a 2 year deal....CCD beat the pants off of Bluefield, yet Bluefield wants to do it again....and Oh yeah, they also scheduled ANOTHER team from Charlotte that is just as good...

The fact that Bluefield is willing to play anybody, anywhere is probably why they are usually a pretty solid team (other teams should take notes)....even if it means taking a couple of ugly losses...(which will probably happen this year)....they did give CCD a scare a couple years back, but Bluefield had an exceptional team that year...

Edited by futbolking

Does WV have a running clock rule for when the scores get outta hand?

Maybe calling it a jackass move is a little excessive but I personally have never seen a game where a score of 86-0 couldnt be avoided.

Yes, WV not only has a running clock but the coaches can agree to shorten the quarters...as was the case in the 62-0 Mount View game, they played 8 minute quarters with a running clock in the second half, it lasted about 30 minutes.

In the case of WE, even if its the 9th graders in the game, you don't tell them to quit playing. They go to practice every day just like the rest of the team, they should have a chance to do what they are taught to do. As I said, they scored on punt returns, turnovers for TDs, and runs on FB dives. It wasn't their fault that the WE players couldn't keep them from scoring. The only other thing Bluefield could have done was put the cheerleaders in, and honestly, I think they could have scored on WE that night.

But CCD hasnt embarassed Bluefield yet. Beaten them yes but not embarassed them.

I dont think anyone expects the coach to tell the players to not to try.

The point still stands, if you beat teams that bad no one is gonna want to play you.

But CCD hasnt embarassed Bluefield yet. Beaten them yes but not embarassed them.

I dont think anyone expects the coach to tell the players to not to try.

The point still stands, if you beat teams that bad no one is gonna want to play you.

I think you should be saying, if you beat teams that bad....the wuss teams aren't gonna want to play you. A team that wants to build and improve will look forward to the day that they are able to turn the tables.

Your right maybe I should clarify. Lets call Bluefield a 10 out of 10 no team below a 6 has any business plkaying them, it would benefit neither team. Now those teams that are 7 and up shouldnt be dodging the Beavers. But teams like MV dont belong on the field w/ Bluefield.

CCD was up 41-6 at the half on Bluefield last season...that was pretty embarrassing...

See not to me, to me thats just a sound beating, they were just better. If they would have kept the starters in all of the 3rd quarter then that would have been embarassing. They beat Bluefield but didnt "rub their noses in it". jmo