Marion Football Coach

BIGRED

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Mike Briscoe has stepped down as head coach, does anyone know who the front runner to get the job might be?

you can have marrs and jones from ghs we would love you forever if you took the both of them. lol

I haven`t heard, I wonder if they will bring in someone or give it to one of the assisstant coaches? My guess would be the latter. I heard Briscoe is going to Tazewell to be an assisstant coach?

Hearing the same....and I'm sure nobody in Marion wants Marrs or Jones either!!

The job has been advertised, so they'll be interviewing people for the positions soon, but they have a couple of good assistants that the kids like and respect that I think would be good candidates for the job.

I have been told that Joey Carroll and Justin Hughes are front runners. I also heard that Billy Wyatt from Northwwood is interested. That would be terrible.

Im a litte out of the loop on football up that way but I thought Billy Wyatt did alright at Northwood?

Like I said I have no idea

Edited by redtiger

Im aa lillte out of the loop on football up that way but I thought Billy Wyatt did alright at Northwood?

Like I said I have no idea

Billy has all but killed the chance of that school having a program. I mean I like him but when you let the parents run your program you are asking for trouble and that's what he has in Saltville right now(trouble).

I knew they made the playoffs a several years back and have really fallen off since then. Didnt know it was that bad.

Youre right tho, once the parents are influencing the HC then the program is in trouble. Is Wyatt still at NW?

What about Coach Wright?

I always liked Coach Wright, he has the respect of the kids , I think. Just not sure if he would want to return to coaching after having the luxury of being out of it for a couple of years. Being a former coach of a varsity sport for several years myself, you really enjoy that extra time at the end of the day, especially if you have young kids. I'm not sure if Coach Wright has children, but if he does, they're probably grown. Personally, I think one of the younger assistants will get it.

I knew they made the playoffs a several years back and have really fallen off since then. Didnt know it was that bad.

Youre right tho, once the parents are influencing the HC then the program is in trouble. Is Wyatt still at NW?

Yeah. And say what you want about Wyatt, when he has the athletes to win they find ways to make the playoffs. It doesn't take much for Wyatt to have a good year it's just Saltville hasn't given him much to work with recently. The community rabbled about him using the single-wing and urged him to go to the power-I in hopes of getting more kids to come out and play. They went from possibly not fielding a team last year to at least winning one game - I'm telling ya, Wyatt isn't THAT bad. Coaching at NW will just make you look that way.

Yeah. And say what you want about Wyatt, when he has the athletes to win they find ways to make the playoffs. It doesn't take much for Wyatt to have a good year it's just Saltville hasn't given him much to work with recently. The community rabbled about him using the single-wing and urged him to go to the power-I in hopes of getting more kids to come out and play. They went from possibly not fielding a team last year to at least winning one game - I'm telling ya, Wyatt isn't THAT bad. Coaching at NW will just make you look that way.

How long has Wyatt been at Northwood? Didn't he win a Hogo championship there in the early 2000's?

How long has Wyatt been at Northwood? Didn't he win a Hogo championship there in the early 2000's?

He shared one back in 03 or 04 I think. Was in the playoffs 99, 00, 03, 04, 05, and maybe even 06. Its hard to win in Saltville yet he's done it.

He shared one back in 03 or 04 I think. Was in the playoffs 99, 00, 03, 04, 05, and maybe even 06. Its hard to win in Saltville yet he's done it.

Yes it is hard to win in Saltville but he has lost all control of the program and a HC can't do that. This is not hear say this is what was told to me by Billy this past year as my son played for him. And I quote Billy as saying "Mr. Hall I don't know what to do any more I don't have the support of my staff like I should and I don't know what to do, if I don't play certain kids then I will hear it from their parents so I'm in a no win situation. Billy stuck around hoping he was going to get the AD job at Northwood but that went to Stacy Poston. Billy is a great guy he was my 7th and 8th grade coach at Rich Valley but he has no control of the program in Saltville anymore thus that's why my boy will be playing ball at George Wythe next year.

Edited by 2dalejrfanz

Maybe im wrong but I didnt think NW ran a "ture" single wing like Giles does, I thought they were more of a Power Shotgun, Multiple formation offense that was being called the single wing? Maybe im way off. To me that type of offense would make the most out of a situation where a coach is working with little talent and seems like a good move.

On a side note I despise the Power I, I have never seen a situation where it was used as the base formation and a team was successful, unless they were a good team that would have been successful using any formation. I just think it restricts the passing game too much and unlike a wishbone or a T it obviously has a strong side making it easier for the defense to key on.

So what kind of offense do the fans at Marion want to see brought in?

Yes it is hard to win in Saltville but he has lost all control of the program and a HC can't do that. This is not hear say this is what was told to me by Billy this past year as my son played for him. And I quote Billy as saying "Mr. Hall I don't know what to do any more I don't have the support of my staff like I should and I don't know what to do, if I don't play certain kids then I will hear it from their parents so I'm in a no win situation. Billy stuck around hoping he was going to get the AD job at Northwood but that went to Stacy Poston. Billy is a great guy he was my 7th and 8th grade coach at Rich Valley but he has no control of the program in Saltville anymore thus that's why my boy will be playing ball at George Wythe next year.

George Wythe!?

We just 8 miles apart, man. lol

I have yet to figure out why everyone is so big on the spread. Tell what good does it do you if you don't have the players to make plays out on the field. I can tell you this if I am coaching against a team and they don't pose a threat at WR then I am still going to stack the box and go after the running game. Lots of teams around here that trying that stuff such as Galax for a couple years and it didn't get them anything. New Coach with I formation (which i don't like) now a region runner-up. Spread only works when you have athletes to do it.

East Mont runs spread with a very good group of seniors, bet they don't next year. Also they played riverheads in Finals. Riverhead ran the countertrey right and left for 63 points. Double tight, pulled the backside guard and tackle, lead with the fullback and QB. When it comes down to it, put in the system that fits your kids, and get them to believe in it.

Like you said the spread maximizes athleticism and speed, doesent make up for a lack of it. Run a formation where you can get good blocking angles, some double teams and have a good play action threat and go from there. Passing the ball is an equalizer but putting 3,4, or 5 recievers on the field when you only have 1 good one just doesent make much sence to me.

Didnt Marion make it to the Region IV finals a few years ago running the Wing-T?

Edited by redtiger

How long have you been at good ole Haysi? I think that the Lebanon Pioneers dusted you all a couple of times with the power I. By the way, wasn't that on the way to the state title game? Now before you jump all over that statement, yes I know that they lined up in other things but that was their main formation. Thanks again. Yes Northwood did run the single wing. Not the Power Wing...haha.

Maybe im wrong but I didnt think NW ran a "ture" single wing like Giles does, I thought they were more of a Power Shotgun, Multiple formation offense that was being called the single wing? Maybe im way off. To me that type of offense would make the most out of a situation where a coach is working with little talent and seems like a good move.

On a side note I despise the Power I, I have never seen a situation where it was used as the base formation and a team was successful, unless they were a good team that would have been successful using any formation. I just think it restricts the passing game too much and unlike a wishbone or a T it obviously has a strong side making it easier for the defense to key on.

So what kind of offense do the fans at Marion want to see brought in?