E-85 fuel

Saw that the Sheets in Wytheville is now selling E-85 fuel. Anybody know the low down on this? I know there are some vehicles that can run on this stuff already.....but it was about 40 cents per gallon cheaper than the regular unleaded...

I've always heard that while it's a lot cheaper than regular gas (and that may be reason enough to buy it for many) it's actually harder on your engine. I don't remember the details and it's just hearsay (never really looked into it) but I've seen people with cars that can take it and they never buy it.

Not really harder on the engine in most cases. However you may see a drastic decrease in fuel mileage. Read somewhere that it may be around a 20-30% decrease. Most all of the "flex fuel cars" manufactured recently should have markings or a "yellow" cap. There is a sight to check your vin # but cant remeber what it is, A google search may get you there.

same here...heard it was cheaper but after you consider the drop in MPG that you were not really saving anything by using it...they are going to get you in the wallet any way you turn at the pump.

what are gas prices looking like around the Bluefield area??? in the DFW area it's hovering around 3.30 a gallon give or take a few cents depending on the place.

Not really harder on the engine in most cases. However you may see a drastic decrease in fuel mileage. Read somewhere that it may be around a 20-30% decrease. Most all of the "flex fuel cars" manufactured recently should have markings or a "yellow" cap. There is a sight to check your vin # but cant remeber what it is, A google search may get you there.

That's right, it was the MPG decrease, not harder on engine. I knew it was one of the two.

prices went up today to $3.39 give or take a cent or two here or there.

I filled up for $3.10/gallon last night.

But that was at Food City in Lebanon, where I got a 15¢ discount with my "fuel points".

They were $3.48-$3.49 in the Bluefield/Tazewell area yesterday afternoon as I was coming home from work (2PM-3PM). Still $3.35-$3.38 along 460 from Giles Co. to Christiansburg late in the day yesterday.

But the thing I couldn't understand about the Bluefield-Tazewell area prices being $3.48-$3.49 yesterday was the fact that along 460 in WV, from Bluefield to Giles Co., prices were lower ($3.45-$3.46) than that.

That should never happen considering WV's tax on gas is significantly higher than VA's.

But the thing I couldn't understand about the Bluefield-Tazewell area prices being $3.48-$3.49 yesterday was the fact that along 460 in WV, from Bluefield to Giles Co., prices were lower ($3.45-$3.46) than that.

That should never happen considering WV's tax on gas is significantly higher than VA's.

Exactly.

Saw that the Sheets in Wytheville is now selling E-85 fuel. Anybody know the low down on this? I know there are some vehicles that can run on this stuff already.....but it was about 40 cents per gallon cheaper than the regular unleaded...

I'm in on Spring Break and I drove by Sheetz today and wondered what in the world that was. I was tempted to fill up with it being so "cheep."