Richlands & Tazewell vs WV Opponents

Guest Highlanders

Guest Highlanders

I wonder how many schools in West Virginia that Richlands & Tazewell competed against in football. I know that Richlands & Tazwell used to play Bluefield, Princeton, Big Creek, and I think Mount View? I wonder if they ever played Woodrow Wilson, Pikeview, or any other WV high schools.

What is it that Richlands or Tazewell really gain by playing "West Virginia" schools? I keep seeing this pop up here and there and frankly I think that overall high school football in West Virginia just isn't that great as far as overall competition goes.It may not be the case in this particular thread but it seems a lot of people from the bluefield area seem to think that Richlands needs to play/beat Bluefield to prove some point or whatever, as I remember the last time that vaunted Bluefield team came to the Hicks they had to have a BS PI call that set them up for a last second field goal to sneak out with a "victory".

Doesn't make your own team look good,

when you cut down WV football,

then turn around and lose to a WV team

If you think overall WV football isn't any good,

try playing someone in one of the following:

The Kanawha Valley Area

Capital, South Charleston, George Washington,

Mon Valley Area

Morgantown or University

Mid Ohio Valley

Parkersburg, Parkersburg South or how about Ravenswwod that beat Bluefield

in the semifinals

Eastern Panhandle

Martinsburg

Northern Panhandle

Brooke or Magnolia

What you see in those Southern Coalfield Areas of WV other than Bluefield isn't what the rest of WV is like.

In the 90's Richlands had one game stints with Pikeview, Matewan and maybe somebody else. They also had a 2 or 4 game series with Princeton and was playing Bluefield on the regular. Before that, I dont know.

Side note, in the mid-90's when Richlands was having trouble scheduling some games they played opponents from Kentucky and even Indiana.

I wonder how many schools in West Virginia that Richlands & Tazewell competed against in football. I know that Richlands & Tazwell used to play Bluefield, Princeton, Big Creek, and I think Mount View? I wonder if they ever played Woodrow Wilson, Pikeview, or any other WV high schools.

That's an interesting question. With the exception of Bluefield and Big Creek, the Blues haven't had many (if any) longstanding relationships with any schools in West Virginia. And I would hazard a guess that individual matchups with other WV schools have been very few and far between.

The preference of Richlands to schedule non-district opponents from within Virginia is longstanding. Going way back into the 1960's, Richlands (and Grundy, for that matter) played non-district opponents from within the Commonwealth like Jefferson(Roanoke), E.C. Glass, and Harrisonburg. In fact, the trophy case at Harrisonburg High still holds a game ball from one of those RHS-HHS encounters.

Just an observation. Probably doesn't contribute much to the overall discussion.

In the 90's Richlands had one game stints with Pikeview, Matewan and maybe somebody else. They also had a 2 or 4 game series with Princeton and was playing Bluefield on the regular. Before that, I dont know.

Side note, in the mid-90's when Richlands was having trouble scheduling some games they played opponents from Kentucky and even Indiana.

Who did they play out of Indiana? and why?

I know in the mid 90s Haysi played Richlands, w/ disastarous results for Haysi

There is really no "need" for them to play WV teams other than to toughen up the schedule. Although I personally like out of state matchups

I know in the mid 90s Haysi played Richlands, w/ disastarous results for Haysi

There is really no "need" for them to play WV teams other than to toughen up the schedule. Although I personally like out of state matchups

Providence Indiana, maybe '94 or '95.

Almost certain Richlands has never played Haysi in football in a regular season game, esp. in the 90's. Could be wrong though.

My fellow Ravenite is correct about the identity of the school. They are located just across the river (more or less) from Louisville, KY.

Richlands had major difficulties in scheduling non-district opponents for the better part of the decade of the '90s. Numerous explanations for that fact.

Last time I looked Bluefield was a multiple time state champion in WV so apparently they are one of the better programs in the state, at least in their region/etc. And I see no reason why Richlands would need or want to run all over WV to find the better teams in the state. Once again I don't think they have to prove anything to teams from a state they aren't even located in, but that is just my opinion.

I may be wrong on the Richlands/Haysi game, could have sworn I saw them on an old schedule flyer. It was around the same time Haysi and Grundy were playing. I could be wrong tho.

Like I said before I like OOS games but only if they are close i.e. Richlands/ Bluefield or Grundy/Pikeville

Edited by redtiger

Tazewell has played PikeView at least once (1996?) plus Big Creek twice around that same time (plus many years ago vs BC). Tazewell also played both Bluefield and Princeton every year from '86 to '89 and played Bluefield again in 94 (probably at least once more).

Neither Richlands nor Tazewell have ever played Mount View in football to my knowledge, but Graham played MV fairly recently. That's about it for Tazewell and WV opponents.

Not sure that Richlands has ever played Haysi but they did play Garden in 90 and 91 plus Hurley in the mid to late 90s. They also played Lord Botetourt and Northside home and home in 86 and 87. For some reason I'm thinking they played William Byrd too since then but I could be completely wrong on that.

Tazewell really hasn't played any Virginia teams east of the NRV in the regular season in a LOOONG time...like maybe the 1960s. They used to play Giles and Narrows in the 1980s before both dropped to Group A, and played both Christiansburg and Blacksburg well into the 90s. Richlands also used to play the Burgs occasionally as well.

Graham, on the other hand, has played all over the place the last 30 years.

Edited by hoard

Last time I looked Bluefield was a multiple time state champion in WV so apparently they are one of the better programs in the state, at least in their region/etc. And I see no reason why Richlands would need or want to run all over WV to find the better teams in the state. Once again I don't think they have to prove anything to teams from a state they aren't even located in, but that is just my opinion.

if you claim to be the best then you need to play the best teams in your area even wv or even tenn. schools if you cannot fill out your schedule with teams other than single a schools. there are team all over that would play richlands or tazewell if asked. graham has played teams from all over never complained about schedule they found teams. went to greenville tenn and play the team from there. bluefield high has gone to nc to play teams and northern va. why should they go that far when rhs is much closer. i am sure blfd would play rhs if they really wanted to play the best teams from the area. dont knock the teams from wv until you play them year in and year out and win the majority of these game. i am glad that ghs and bluefield are going to contine to play even though ghs is going to single a this year. this is good for ghs it will help them always down the road in their other games. blfd is one of the elite programs in this entire area very few team can match their program for titles and wins.

Doesn't make your own team look good,

when you cut down WV football,

then turn around and lose to a WV team

If you think overall WV football isn't any good,

try playing someone in one of the following:

The Kanawha Valley Area

Capital, South Charleston, George Washington,

Mon Valley Area

Morgantown or University

Mid Ohio Valley

Parkersburg, Parkersburg South or how about Ravenswwod that beat Bluefield

in the semifinals

Eastern Panhandle

Martinsburg

Northern Panhandle

Brooke or Magnolia

What you see in those Southern Coalfield Areas of WV other than Bluefield isn't what the rest of WV is like.

Most of those schools are all AAA schools right? I am sure if we are looking at AAA schools to compare the two states Phoebus would be glad to play anyone on that list.

Providence Indiana, maybe '94 or '95.

Almost certain Richlands has never played Haysi in football in a regular season game, esp. in the 90's. Could be wrong though.

Never have known Richlands to play Haysi. Definitely played Hurley in 1994. Opened up with Cumberland, KY @ Richlands in 1994 and played Providence in 1995. Richlands played Willam Byrd @ Richlands in 1991.

Im going to assume the phantoms would mop the floor w/ any team WV can produce, but Phoebus is probably bigger than those schools. I do believe the quality of teams goes deeper in VA

Maybe I saw Richlands vs those other BDD teams and time has played a trick on my mind?

Most of those schools are all AAA schools right? I am sure if we are looking at AAA schools to compare the two states Phoebus would be glad to play anyone on that list.

An overwhelming majority of AAA schools in West Virginia would fall within the VHSL's Group AA based on enrollment. They play a good brand of football in WV in their own right, but it's nearly impossible to make any kind of "apples to apples" comparison to Virginia based on the differences between the two systems.

Tazewell has played PikeView at least once (1996?) plus Big Creek twice around that same time (plus many years ago vs BC). Tazewell also played both Bluefield and Princeton every year from '86 to '89 and played Bluefield again in 94 (probably at least once more).

Neither Richlands nor Tazewell have ever played Mount View in football to my knowledge, but Graham played MV fairly recently. That's about it for Tazewell and WV opponents.

Not sure that Richlands has ever played Haysi but they did play Garden in 90 and 91 plus Hurley in the mid to late 90s. They also played Lord Botetourt and Northside home and home in 86 and 87. For some reason I'm thinking they played William Byrd too since then but I could be completely wrong on that.

Tazewell really hasn't played any Virginia teams east of the NRV in the regular season in a LOOONG time...like maybe the 1960s. They used to play Giles and Narrows in the 1980s before both dropped to Group A, and played both Christiansburg and Blacksburg well into the 90s. Richlands also used to play the Burgs occasionally as well.

Graham, on the other hand, has played all over the place the last 30 years.

We played Bluefield in 96 and 97, think we played Pikeview the same years, think we played them in Princeton.

This is a little off topic but, whats the farthest a local(Regions C or D, SWD) team has traveled for a regular season game?

Haysi had a hard time filling out their schedule a few years ago and picked up Berea KY. It was about 3 1/2 hours(longer on a bus)

Edited by redtiger

This is a little off topic but, whats the farthest a local(Regions C or D, SWD) team has traveled for a regular season game?

Haysi had a hard time fillout their schedule a few years ago and picked up Berea KY. It was about 3 1/2 hours(longer on a bus)

i know graham has gone to greeneville tenn. to play games in years past.

i know graham has gone to greeneville tenn. to play games in years past.

and if you want to look just across the state line bluefield high has gone all the way to north carolina to play games.

I'll challenge that with Hurley's 2006 trip to Elizabethton to play Unaka.

----

I know Grundy went to Oak Hill & Paintsville; when we played Morgan Co., Ky, I think we went to West Liberty.

Magna Vista & Pulaski have both been to Petersburg.