Hold on tight folks...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayer's go out to all of those affected by these incredible storms. Hope SWVA stays safe. We're expecting the storms here in Richmond in the morning hours, right around rush hour. I can't sleep just thinking about it. A few months back an ef0 tore up our fence and chewed up our basketball goal as well as break our front porch rocker. I was scared to death, I couldn't even fathom the idea of an ef5 1 and 1/2 mile wide.

Long night checking on relatives in the Birmingham area. All are safe, but my cousin's home in West Birmingham was completely leveled. His home was 4 sides brick, but no match for this thing. His daughter went into labor during the storm, and had to be rushed to the hospital. Still haven't heard how she and the baby are doing.

qst set of pics...

check 1412-16

I'm hearing they think it may have been an F-3... I work in Marion and have people that work with me that drive from that area, I'm hearing that you cannot access the town of Glade Spring at all and that you can see the damage from the interstate and emergency workers are telling people to stay away....

no damage here on Exit 14...but we barely missed it...just got lucky.

Hope everyone on here from around Exit 29 is ok...looks bad up there from what they are showing on the news.

I'm hearing they think it may have been an F-3... I work in Marion and have people that work with me that drive from that area, I'm hearing that you cannot access the town of Glade Spring at all and that you can see the damage from the interstate and emergency workers are telling people to stay away....

An F3 is unprecedented in these mountains. I can never remember an F3 tornado, and I can only remember one F2 tornado. My heart goes out to those in SWVA, and Glade Spring. 7 dead, just unbelievable.

An F3 is unprecedented in these mountains. I can never remember an F3 tornado, and I can only remember one F2 tornado. My heart goes out to those in SWVA, and Glade Spring. 7 dead, just unbelievable.

An F3 tornado struck Washington County in April of '74 (on a night much similar to last night's event) and another one in Unicoi County TN in '80. Much of the other F3's were from '50s and on back and most likely case is those probably would be F2's or so if rated in this time.

Here's the tornado database for the Morristown NWS coverage area...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mrx/?n=mrx_tornado_db

But of course as most know even a EF5 could easily roll there here as it has before in other mountainous locations. Mountains aren't going stop a tornado as some believe, haha.

Scary thing is that usually our worst is in May. If this pattern doesn't break then it could just continue and may get worse. Yesterday was the worst tornado outbreak ever in the nation. The month had already broken the record for most in April (previously '74) even before yesterday. Seen some storm signatures on radar last night that you'll see more out in the Plains and deep south. Definitely a crazy and rare event. Some very strong dynamics were in place for this one. Not often you'll get so many supercells like that and embedded within a rain shield which had cooled the atmosphere and night fall on top of that, sure sign of the strong dynamics.

Edited by Beamerball

Blacksburg NWS survey team confirms tornado in Smyth County near Chilhowie. Rated an EF2. Also confirmed tornado in Halifax County, that too an EF2, and this one origiated in NC taking a 26 mile long path.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rnk/events/2011/April27_outbreak/summary.php

Morristown NWS confirms a half-mile wide EF4 tornado striking 3 southeastern TN counties....Hamilton, Polk, and Bradley. Path length 35 miles. 13 possible fatalities so far thought with this one.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=MRX&product=PNS&issuedby=MRX

More to come I'm sure as survey teams get to assessing all this damage.

Edited by Beamerball

An F3 tornado struck Washington County in April of '74 (on a night much similar to last night's event) and another one in Unicoi County TN in '80. Much of the other F3's were from '50s and on back and most likely case is those probably would be F2's or so if rated in this time.

Here's the tornado database for the Morristown NWS coverage area...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mrx/?n=mrx_tornado_db

But of course as most know even a EF5 could easily roll there here as it has before in other mountainous locations. Mountains aren't going stop a tornado as some believe, haha.

Scary thing is that usually our worst is in May. If this pattern doesn't break then it could just continue and may get worse. Yesterday was the worst tornado outbreak ever in that nation. The month had already had broken the record for most in April (previously '74) even before yesterday. Seen some storm signatures on radar last night that you'll see more out in the Plains and deep south. Definitely a crazy and rare event. Some very strong dynamics were in place for this one. Not often you'll get so many supercells like that and embedded within a rain shield which had cooled the atmosphere and night fall on top of that, sure sign of the strong dynamics.

Appreciate the information here. Probably why I didn't remember it: it happened 5 years before I was born. :)

This has been a wild weather year thus far. Where I am, we've set our April rainfall records with over 7'' now, and we're due to get a little more tomorrow. Last night was just extraordinary: a very strong cold front, very warm/saturated air from the south and cold air aloft. Haven't ever seen anything of that scale in the south in my 25 years here.

From the small amount I've looked at it, April seems worse for the south, while May seems worse for the Plains. But again, I've not done any in-depth research.

Edited by UVAObserver

Blacksburg NWS survey team confirms tornado in Smyth County near Chilhowie. Rated an EF2. Also confirmed tornado in Halifax County, that too an EF2, and this one origiated in NC taking a 26 mile long path.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rnk/events/2011/April27_outbreak/summary.php

Morristown NWS confirms a half-mile wide EF4 tornado striking 3 southeastern TN counties....Hamilton, Polk, and Bradley. Path length 35 miles. 13 possible fatalities so far thought with this one.

More to come I'm sure as survey teams get to assessing all this damage.

My uncle was grazed by the one in Bradley County, TN. He was fortunate to be on the southeast side of the storm, so he didn't get the brunt of it. Some slight roof and tree damage, but nothing money can't erase.

Yeah, thinking on it again its probably April as the most active in this region and May might be nationally. Reading a study from the Morristown NWS a while back and by their figures April is the highest for tornadoes (with the outbreak of April 3, 1974 helping that ranking), May is the greatest for hail, and June sees the highest wind threat. Either way, April through May is the active period indeed, so another month to go. Need something to big to break off and sweep down chaning the overall pattern, but that's yet to happen and its been very active from the winter on.

Morristown NWS confirms 6 more tornadoes in their coverage area.

The tornado in Glade Spring was rated an EF3 with winds of 140 mph, path length of 18 miles from just to the south of Abingdon and up to Glade Springs, 3/4 mile wide, with 3 fatalities and 50 injuries reported. Other tornadoes confirmed: another one near Abingdon a couple of hours earlier than the other...this one an EF0, an EF2 in Greene County (TN) in Camp Creek...7 fatalties, 33 injuries reported, EF2 in Hamilton County (TN) near Lookout Mountain, EF3 in Bledsoe County (TN) (4 fatalities), and an EF1 in Cocke County (TN).

Still more assessments to be done.

Summary of tornadoes (so far)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mrx/?n=april272011outbreak

Public info statements: (go through the previous versions to view statements for each)

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=MRX&issuedby=MRX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Edited by Beamerball

Our electricity has been off since Wednesday night at 11:00p.m. Came back on this morning (Friday). We live off of Exit 19, and I went to the basement at 10:30p.m. when WCYB's, Dave Dierks, said the tornado was headed toward Abingdon and should hit at 10:47p.m. Have a small tv down there, so was watching the storm's progression until the electricity went off at 11:00p.m.. Counting the basement our house is 3 stories, so the only thing I could hear was when rain was pelting our basement window.

I had 3 flashlights with me and wore my watch, so I would know the time if the lights did go out. I was underneath the stairwell-- my husband has so much stuff accumulated under there, I thought if the basement window blows out all of this is going to be flying around like missiles. I said I need something to cover my head. Saw he had his life jacket, he uses when riding his kayak, hanging there, so I got it down and used it to make a shield over my head. Well, sitting in this position, praying intently, I finally got so tired, I went to sleep. I woke up at about 12:50, didn't hear anything and thought I will go upstairs and lay on the sofa. As I got to the top of the basement steps, all at once the wind started howling strongly, with lighting and rain, so I turn around and go back down and get under the stairwell and stayed there until 1:30a.m.

My husband left work at 1:15a.m. headed home. He got just above Exit 29, southbound, around 1:30, traffic was backed up due to the tornado damage. He said there were trees across the interstate and tractor trailers were turned over on their side and sitting in the middle of the medium. He sat there until 4:40a.m. and got home at 5:00a.m. Said northbound traffic was still stopped when the southbound started moving. Guess that was due to the damage at the truck stop.

My prayers and thoughts are with all of those who lost love ones and had homes damaged or destroyed. The only thing we had at our house was our neighbor's pine tree limb broke off and fell across the fence on to our lawn.

It was truly a scary night--

Charleston NWS confirmed tornado in Nicholas County, WV near Richwood. Rated an EF1.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=PNSRLX&version=0&max=61

Morristown confirms 3 more tornadoes in eastern TN. An EF1 in Bradley County near Cleveland, an EF1 in East Ridge in Hamilton County, and an EF0 in Blount County.

That's 3 confirmed in Hamilton County including a devastating EF4.

Haven't seen anything else from the Blacksburg office just yet or the Jackson, KY office either. I know there were some reported funnel clouds over in eastern KY around London and over in Bell County. There were a couple of storms with some decent rotation in Harlan County also. A couple started crossed over from the Cumberland Plateau, through the western part of Lee County, and then on up. One of the first ones took that track taking it into Harlan and up along the VA/KY line and then back into Dickenson and Buchanan Counties, tornado warnings were issued all along the way. That covered 3 CWA's (Morristown, Jackson, and Charleston) but not seen anything on those yet.

Believe that's 12 confirmed so far from southeastern TN and up to southern WV. Still some more probably to be confirmed in the coming days.

Edited by Beamerball

Another confirmed tornado in TN an EF0 near Greenback in Loudon County.

An area looked at in the Sullivan Gardens area of Kingsport was determined to be damage from a downburst and large hail.

Things that make your blood boil. Was watching the Weather Channel just a moment ago. Cantore was interviewing a man in Tuscaloosa whose home was obliterated by the tornado but his family escaped with just minor injures. However, though it all the real tear jerker and for him too was that his father was a vet and they had the flag that was drapped over his coffin. Well the sherrif's dept. had laid it out for them to see and get, but apparently the wrong people saw it first and someone came by and took it. That's a tough one, lose your home and all, and then have someone do something like that. Hopefully it wasn't intentionally stolen but its probably what happened.

Also, regarding the above pic...this was from straight line winds, not a tornado...notice how all the trees have basically fallen in the same direction...