BREAKING NEWS - Bin Laden

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the fact that apparently he was killed in a mansion in Pakistan, and not hiding in a cave. That is ironic.

Didn't really surprise me much. The Al-Qaeda leaders have almost exclusively been detained in metropolitan areas, and Bin Laden was no different.

So many thoughts, though. I'll list them here.

1. This is probably the greatest single military mission since D-Day. I don't say this lightly. The attention to detail was an A+. The practice placed into this mission was an A+. The lack of leakage to the press over eight full months of preparation (wow) is an A+. The execution was an A+++++: killing the most-wanted man in the world and his son while not even injuring an operative while not even injuring a Pakistani civilian. The word's tossed about too much, but this is unbelievable.

2. Pakistan has some 'splainin' to do. This nation is supposed to be our ally, yet it seems like every important figure in Al-Qaeda have been harbored here. It cannot police its own borders, where the terrorist training camps are. Yet, the Pakistani prime minister spins the incident like they set Bin Laden on a silver platter for us. Excuse me if I don't buy that crock of manure.

3. I need to give credit where credit is due: Obama was steering the ship when this incident happened. More than this, he did signal the go-ahead and showed the leadership necessary to accomplish the objective. The speech afterward was likewise a wonderful piece of oratory, delivered with a calm, smooth execution that has often eluded Obama. Well done, Mr. President.

4. This being said, Obama's approval rating's going to be about 143% next week, and unjustifiably so. I compare Obama's first term now to a gourmet dinner. You have to pay $2500 for a seat at this dinner (deficit/economy in 2008). Your dishes are a paper plate (lack of experience entering the office), a dixie cup (rabidly liberal senate record), and plastic utensils (sketchy past-relations with Rev. Wright included). Your first course is a rusted can of peas that bulges from the side (stimulus). Your second course is Kraft macaroni and cheese made with moldy cheese substitute (health care reform). Your third course is the greatest filet mignon that anyone in the room has ever tasted (Bin Laden's capture). We have yet to see the fourth course and dessert. You have to decide if this qualifies as a dinner you'd like to have again (2012 election). If it is, I respectfully disagree. As of now.

5. It brought tears to my eyes to hear the impromptu singing of the Star Spangled Banner in front of the White House. Just undeniably moving.

6. Hopefully, there is at least a small sense of closure for those who lost family, friends, and acquaintances on September 11, 2001. There will not be full healing until we meet Jesus, but perhaps there is some healing now that the head of that organization has been eradicated.

7. The fight against organized terrorism is NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO OVER. Do not be fooled by anyone who claims it is. There is still significant work to be done. But we are a leap closer to that.

8. America, Eff Yeah.

Guest The Variable

Today should be a national holiday:

National "Dont %&$# with America" Day.

Thanks to the Seals, thanks to the CIA, and to all my brothers and sisters in arms. Today we are validated and we made this happen.

Apparently the city he was hiding in is mostly a military/governmental community. Lots of military facilities, employees and retirees. To me it would be like him hiding in Arlington or Alexandria. Mud on the face for Pakistan for sure.

Guest The Variable

3. I need to give credit where credit is due: Obama was steering the ship when this incident happened. More than this, he did signal the go-ahead and showed the leadership necessary to accomplish the objective. The speech afterward was likewise a wonderful piece of oratory, delivered with a calm, smooth execution that has often eluded Obama. Well done, Mr. President.

The only thing I did not like about the speech was order and credit. He should have given himself credit for green lighting the execution, for doing it without getting permission from the pakis.

He did however, act like he was the one who put the bounty on Bin Ladens head. Getting him was a priority 8 years prior to his presidency.

FIRST credit should have been given to the intelligence weenies and the guys at the sharp end. He gave them credit, but only after making sure that we all remembered that hes the president.

Aside from that the speech was very pogniant and appropriate.

The only thing I did not like about the speech was order and credit. He should have given himself credit for green lighting the execution, for doing it without getting permission from the pakis.

He did however, act like he was the one who put the bounty on Bin Ladens head. Getting him was a priority 8 years prior to his presidency.

FIRST credit should have been given to the intelligence weenies and the guys at the sharp end. He gave them credit, but only after making sure that we all remembered that hes the president.

Aside from that the speech was very pogniant and appropriate.

I don't disagree. I was a little disappointed by the self-serving attitude in the speech, the "me-first-and-oh-by-the-way-they-executed-it" delivery. It's a bit like calling "Lord of the Rings" a Sean Astin flick. Not inaccurate, but significantly overshadows the event.

Someone told me at work this a.m. that the news was announced at the Mets-Phillies game in the 9th inning and the score was 1 - 1. 9-1-1.

HMMMMM.

Yeah, i was watching that game, thats where i first heard about it. Seemed just a couple of minutes after the story first broke, the crowd started chanting USA. That was pretty awesome, and amazing how fast the word spread......and very odd coincendce about that score.

I heard someone say on the news last night and this morning that is makes a lot of sense that Bin Laden was not as isolated as was originally thought due to his health problems. I applaud the U.S. for just "getting it done" rather than making sure not to piss off the officials governing the country where he was hiding. The U.S. tried that approach before and a mole or moles always tipped off Bin Laden so he could escape.

By the way Pakistan, in the rules of the NFL draft, you're on the clock!

Guest The Variable
I don't disagree. I was a little disappointed by the self-serving attitude in the speech, the "me-first-and-oh-by-the-way-they-executed-it" delivery. It's a bit like calling "Lord of the Rings" a Sean Astin flick. Not inaccurate, but significantly overshadows the event.

Hahaha...yes.

Oh well, what else do you expect from a politician a year out from re-election.

so...no body to be shown after all this? Has the US Gov not learned anything over the years? They have shown pics of Saddam and his sons and every other person they have killed since this started...yet, the main one they will not show a pic of? Are you kidding me? Unreal...Americans want to see this guy's rotting corpse. They should have taken it back to Gitmo and strung it up on a palm tree and let the sea gulls have lunch.

I would have loved to seen him taken alive, strapped to a pole at ground zero, and everyone who lost a loved one on 9-11 get to do whatever they choose to do to him. Sigh I guess we are just too humane a society for that. Lance I too am surprised they didnt show the body, I suppose this is to try to keep from upsetting the entire muslim faith to try to avoid a backlash on our citizens abroad.

1. I just want to say thank you and how proud I am today.

2. I really hate to see the political nonsense.....I've already heard the whining from both sides about giving Bush or Obama credit. Give it up already! I haven't read it here....I'm just venting. Obama has been overseeing and gave the order...so he gets credit there. I don't think that he sounded like he put the initial bounty on his head so to speak. He did say that was a priority when he took office and I remember hearing that in speeches prior to winning the election. A lot of hard core republican friends of mine want to give Bush Credit......IMO, he had 8 years and chose to spend that looking for WMD, ridding the world of Saddam Huessein. I'm not bashing any of that...really. He may have initiated the war on terror and for that he gets credit.

3. Let's give credit to the Seals and everyone else involved in bring justice to our country and most specifically the people who lost someone in 9-11.

4.. It's a great day to be an American!

2. I really hate to see the political nonsense.....I've already heard the whining from both sides about giving Bush or Obama credit. Give it up already! I haven't read it here....I'm just venting. Obama has been overseeing and gave the order...so he gets credit there. I don't think that he sounded like he put the initial bounty on his head so to speak. He did say that was a priority when he took office and I remember hearing that in speeches prior to winning the election. A lot of hard core republican friends of mine want to give Bush Credit......IMO, he had 8 years and chose to spend that looking for WMD, ridding the world of Saddam Huessein. I'm not bashing any of that...really. He may have initiated the war on terror and for that he gets credit.

3. Let's give credit to the Seals and everyone else involved in bring justice to our country and most specifically the people who lost someone in 9-11.

Echo.

My opinions...

Obama's speech...too self-serving...he didn't do squirt but give the order to kill OBL which I think, was probably a given...and why did he all of a sudden put "under God" back into the pledge???

The "celebration" outside the White House...didn't seem believable, almost "staged" in another "self-serving" kind of way...

OBL being dead...don't worry, another will come along worse than him...

Today is no different than yesterday.

Guest The Variable

Your answer to the whining in #2 is your #3. Politicians talk, BS walks and Operators kill the enemy and get the job done. A guy I was in Iraq with got to fly Zarkowis (sp) body out of the crater we put him in. We didnt give bush credit for that, we gave the F-16 drivers credit for putting the bombs on target and the guys who got them the coordinates.

And thank you for showing the pride that makes people proud to serve their fellow Americans in hostile lands.

Let's see Clinton tried with Cruise Missiles, Bush with Predator Drones, and Obama went with boots on the ground. High risk move - great result. Today should be hug a SEAL day.

The "celebration" outside the White House...didn't seem believable, almost "staged" in another "self-serving" kind of way...

well...I wrote that off to GWU being next door and college kids (who it looked like to me made up most of the crowd) dont need much of an excuse to party lol.

My opinions...

Obama's speech...too self-serving...he didn't do squirt but give the order to kill OBL which I think, was probably a given...and why did he all of a sudden put "under God" back into the pledge???

It happened during Obama's tenure, with his administration, under his authority. I think he deserves to be proud. I don't think he would argue with you-he doesn't deserve all the credit but he at least deserves some. Any commander-in-chief would deserve some praise for the accomplishment.

The celebration wasn't staged. A few of my DC friends were there and the photos on facebook look like a legitimate good time.

OSama has largely been a sideline player in AQ since 9/11. He may have been issuing orders but his participation in subsequent terrorist plots have been minimal. We can be happy on this day for avenging the losses from a decade ago but like you say, today is no different from yesterday- terrorism lives on.

Edited by deuceswild

My opinions...

And there is the political nonsense! Not starting crap, but really, can we not just be happy that he is gone, proud of our men and women that work so hard, and even more so of the Seals and the team including our President who made sure this went down.

Yes, Obama will win over some fans or voters with this and yes it will be used as a political tool as anyone did or would do in similar situations. My response was to the 50 million Facebook posts from Republican friends who were griping over Obama instead of being a proud American. It's pretty sad in my book.

Yes, Obama will win over some fans or voters with this and yes it will be used as a political tool as anyone did or would do in similar situations. My response was to the 50 million Facebook posts from Republican friends who were griping over Obama instead of being a proud American. It's pretty sad in my book.

I know what you mean. I had to go through and hide so many posts this morning because of the ignorance. Although, my favorite one was "let's see a death certificate!" It was crafty, I let it stay.

It was like that time an ad came up and said "9 of your friends like Nickelback, do you like Nickelback?" I promptly clicked that ad, discovered the 9 "friends" and deleted those 9 "friends" from my friend list. Fortunately, I didn't consider any of them close.

But seriously..

I try to think to myself, if this was Bush instead of Obama, how would I react?

Instead of discounting Bush's hypothetical job well done, I would have avoided it altogether and just praised the men and women of the military who brought the mission to fruition. Unfortunately, not everyone takes the high road and would instead prefer to further dichotomize our country.