Whats coming back

schoolteacher

Well enough with all the negative, we now need to focus on the positive . What does the G-men have coming back? What about the size of the line any good running backs? How good is this Baker kid? Do we have a good punter or kicker coming back? Go G-men!

Well enough with all the negative, we now need to focus on the positive . What does the G-men have coming back? What about the size of the line any good running backs? How good is this Baker kid? Do we have a good punter or kicker coming back? Go G-men!

Better yet...who's coming out that didn't play...basically everybody is coming back, Graham only had a couple seniors....Graham has had just over 30 players the past couple seasons, a significant decrease in numbers from just a few years back...probably won't know that until practice starts...all the more reason to get a coach in place and get them started working with the kids in the weight room...start rebuilding.

It may be Sheets or Gray Baker. Baker has a cannon for an arm and is tall enough to see over the line easily. Sheets has a little more experience and may be quicker. Graham should be ok in the backfield and with the receivers. Punter will probably be Cody Hatfield and kicker will be Sam Stowers again. Biggest concern for Graham again will be the line. They just haven't been physical and I'm hearing that not much is going on with the weight program.

I'd say whoever ends up coaching just comes out and says there are no guarantees on who gets any position and just makes them compete for spots. There was a lot of criticism over the past few seasons of people playing that shouldn't be...people in the wrong spot...etc...

That would be the best approach, if you ask me.

I hear Graham has a couple of sophomores coming up on the line that look promising...but I agree with Frito....Skill positions should be fine, the big question will be the line...(Maybe some of the kids that have been walking the hallways of the school will decide to come out and help)

They return just about everyone. Backs should be fine especially at the single A level. Not sure about Sheets. He is awful small to take the pounding back there. The Baker kid is going to be a good one. Should be a good battle. Line is a question and kicking game should be ok with Hatfield, Stowers and White. Hatfield punts, Stowers FG and extra points and White kickoffs. Defense is a question. Should be fun though to see how they do! I am ready for it to get started.

Edited by ole ball coach

They return just about everyone. Backs should be fine especially at the single A level. Not sure about Sheets. He is awful small to take the pounding back there. The Baker kid is going to be a good one. Should be a good battle. Line is a question and kicking game should be ok with Hatfield, Stowers and White. Hatfield punts, Stowers FG and extra points and White kickoffs. Defense is a question. Should be fun though to see how they do! I am ready for it to get started.

I'm telling you, the district they're in is very weak....however Division 2 football is every bit as tough as Division 3 come playoff time....probably even tougher, because there aren't any cupcakes that make the playoffs like there was in D-3.....

I look forward to the competition...I think the competition (overall)....just got a little tougher...

I'm telling you, the district they're in is very weak....however Division 2 football is every bit as tough as Division 3 come playoff time....probably even tougher, because there aren't any cupcakes that make the playoffs like there was in D-3.....

I look forward to the competition...I think the competition (overall)....just got a little tougher...

Fort Chiswell, Galax, and Grayson have all been on the ups recently. I wouldn't overlook any of them.

And yes, Region Division 2 playoff spots are hard to come by. If any division/region in Virginia needed six playoff spots, it was this one. Any given year Giles, Radford, Floyd, Glenvar, James River, George Wythe, Chilhowie, Fort Chiswell, and Grayson County are knocking each other senseless to make it in. Throw Graham in there now and it gets way more interesting.

Fort Chiswell, Galax, and Grayson have all been on the ups recently. I wouldn't overlook any of them.

And yes, Region Division 2 playoff spots are hard to come by. If any division/region in Virginia needed six playoff spots, it was this one. Any given year Giles, Radford, Floyd, Glenvar, James River, George Wythe, Chilhowie, Fort Chiswell, and Grayson County are knocking each other senseless to make it in. Throw Graham in there now and it gets way more interesting.

I really can't wait now until playoff time (if Graham makes it in, in the near future). Graham matching up with some of the teams you mentioned really makes me excited...Not to mention that some of these teams bring HUGE amounts of fans....Giles and Radford, expecially...with Floyd not too far behind. This is long overdue, I think playoff time will be more interesting and exciting for Graham fans. Not to mention, the other sports will become more competitive at this level, overall for Graham. Before, if a team won the district in the other sports, they would get slaughtered at the Regional Level by schools 3 times their size. The playing field has truly been leveled for them and I'm sure some of their other sports teams will have more success than before, glad for them....like I said earlier, this is way overdue.

I applaud John Oneal and whoever else was behind this, although some may disagree with this decision...

I really can't wait now until playoff time (if Graham makes it in, in the near future). Graham matching up with some of the teams you mentioned really makes me excited...Not to mention that some of these teams bring HUGE amounts of fans....Giles and Radford, expecially...with Floyd not too far behind. This is long overdue, I think playoff time will be more interesting and exciting for Graham fans. Not to mention, the other sports will become more competitive at this level, overall for Graham. Before, if a team won the district in the other sports, they would get slaughtered at the Regional Level by schools 3 times their size. The playing field has truly been leveled for them and I'm sure some of their other sports teams will have more success than before, glad for them....like I said earlier, this is way overdue.

I applaud John Oneal and whoever else was behind this, although some may disagree with this decision...

What I'm most excited about is the possible rekindling of some of those old matchups that fell by the wayside because Graham refused to play single-A teams for so many years.

I agree.

Most all of them travel well, especially the ones you mentioned.

The only ones that have a surprising lack of support in football are Glenvar, James River, and Grayson Co. It's eye-opening really.

Don't forget about the new playoff system for Class A...

Sheets should easily be the QB. He was undefeated as a freshman and won the only game for the varsity last year. Ask Tazewell who should have been the QB last year. A 4 touchdown game. He is short but should have started as a QB/RB last year if not for a coaching "agenda" and his daddy not having a hand in things. A new coach should have a open view and perhaps everyone will have a clean slate. Sheets is short, but no one is going to play D1 football off of that team. I would love to see a hard working, great kid get a chance at Graham once again. If memory serves the only game SS has lost he started out at QB was against Grundy. Last years QB had a cannon. That didnt work out well at all. Baker has a cannon? Thats odd you feel that way. Have you seen a baseball game. At the games I attended the throws from shortstop bounced at least once.

One more thing in response to the size thing. The Sheets kid played every snap against RHS after the first few possessions. He kept getting up when a bigger kid exited the game multiple times throughout the year. If we are talking "size" SS or GB have none of it. GB is "taller" but no muscle. SS is very muscular but short. He mowed my grass last summer and he isn't small from a physical stand point. I will take small and muscular over tall and boney anyday when it comes to durability.

SS once again went undefeated in JV. Single handidly won some games, per coaches. Was the difference in the Taz. game. Look at what Taz did to Marion and what Marion did to Taz. Only difference was QB. The thing is SS is not a cocky, mouthy, self obsorbed kid. You aren't going to hear about how great he is because hes not that kind of kid and neither are his parents. I WILL SAY HE IS A EXCEPTIONAL ATHELETE. First and foremost he is a good student, polite young man and does everything the "right" way. Not saying other kids don't, but he has been "deficated" on by coaches and comes out every day and works hard. You can get behind a kid like that. He is a good example of what every kid should be. His father has tried many, many times to get him to transfer elsewhere. If he is not playing somewhere, in a meaningful position then I hope he listens to his father.

Edited by YOTD

Sheets should easily be the QB. He was undefeated as a freshman and won the only game for the varsity last year. Ask Tazewell who should have been the QB last year. A 4 touchdown game. He is short but should have started as a QB/RB last year if not for a coaching "agenda" and his daddy not having a hand in things. A new coach should have a open view and perhaps everyone will have a clean slate. Sheets is short, but no one is going to play D1 football off of that team. I would love to see a hard working, great kid get a chance at Graham once again. If memory serves the only game SS has lost he started out at QB was against Grundy. Last years QB had a cannon. That didnt work out well at all. Baker has a cannon? Thats odd you feel that way. Have you seen a baseball game. At the games I attended the throws from shortstop bounced at least once.

One more thing in response to the size thing. The Sheets kid played every snap against RHS after the first few possessions. He kept getting up when a bigger kid exited the game multiple times throughout the year. If we are talking "size" SS or GB have none of it. GB is "taller" but no muscle. SS is very muscular but short. He mowed my grass last summer and he isn't small from a physical stand point. I will take small and muscular over tall and boney anyday when it comes to durability.

SS once again went undefeated in JV. Single handidly won some games, per coaches. Was the difference in the Taz. game. Look at what Taz did to Marion and what Marion did to Taz. Only difference was QB. The thing is SS is not a cocky, mouthy, self obsorbed kid. You aren't going to hear about how great he is because hes not that kind of kid and neither are his parents. I WILL SAY HE IS A EXCEPTIONAL ATHELETE. First and foremost he is a good student, polite young man and does everything the "right" way. Not saying other kids don't, but he has been "deficated" on by coaches and comes out every day and works hard. You can get behind a kid like that. He is a good example of what every kid should be. His father has tried many, many times to get him to transfer elsewhere. If he is not playing somewhere, in a meaningful position then I hope he listens to his father.

Nobody is saying SS won't be the QB. I agree with you about him being a great kid and good athlete. I do believe that GB has a better throwing arm. There is a difference in throwing a baseball and a football. I've seen both throw a football and GB definately has the advantage there. SS is more mobile and quicker. Basically it should come down to what the new coach see's and wants from his QB and what type of offense we run. Either way it should be a refreshing change and I hope to see both GB & SS on the field somewhere.

Nobody is saying SS won't be the QB. I agree with you about him being a great kid and good athlete. I do believe that GB has a better throwing arm. There is a difference in throwing a baseball and a football. I've seen both throw a football and GB definately has the advantage there. SS is more mobile and quicker. Basically it should come down to what the new coach see's and wants from his QB and what type of offense we run. Either way it should be a refreshing change and I hope to see both GB & SS on the field somewhere.

Graham will have speed and quickness....if they get somebody that'll teach them how to TACKLE....and not faceguard on defense....they'll be o.k....I swear, I'd have those kids doing tackling drills for at least an hour of practice each day, based on what I've seen the past couple of years.

As a couple of people stated before, the line is the big question, no doubt there are some good skill players, but lack fundamentals, and the positioning of the defensive backs has been questionable for several years now...they basically give away a lot of yardage by the way they're positioned on the field...anyway, the defense has just been a joke lately (40+ points per game for 2 seasons says it all).....however, I think this could be corrected with good coaching. We all know the "defensive coach of the year" probably contributed to that a lot...I mean, the kids looked very promising. They have potential to be very good, if coached properly. They were small last year and got pushed around by most teams....A little beef on the line and at LB is needed.

Back to the line,....that #78 that was a freshman looks promising, I hear he's very strong ande pretty quick....also, a couple of kids who didn't play last season have gotten bigger and stronger...that just the difference in a couple of years...Couple of good looking sophomores coming up...I'd say this year, they could surprise, if given good direction...Next year, they should be pretty dang tough to deal with.

And from what I've been hearing about the middle school team...they could be tough for several years to come....looking forward to getting the season started and getting a fresh start....Man, I hope we get some interest back in this program....and the kids start coming back out!!!

Don't you guys remember how exciting it was to watch a Graham football game? and how proud the kids were to be a part of the team...we need that back, badly. Graham was known throughout the state as being a tough, hard nosed team.....we need that back.

Edited by futbolking

I want Graham to run the ball. DM is the one who started throwing "down field" looking for forty yard gains. We see where that took us. I would like to see the triple option. Get rid of passing except for short yards to keep a D honest. There is no way we can be a passing team period. Recievers that cannot catch contribute to that. The line is the primary need. D was just plain awful. A kid thathad never played D (#7) was the second best player on the D. That says something about coaching.

I want Graham to run the ball. DM is the one who started throwing "down field" looking for forty yard gains. We see where that took us. I would like to see the triple option. Get rid of passing except for short yards to keep a D honest. There is no way we can be a passing team period. Recievers that cannot catch contribute to that. The line is the primary need. D was just plain awful. A kid thathad never played D (#7) was the second best player on the D. That says something about coaching.

I agree, especially with questionable line play...don't need to hold a block as long to run the ball...use the "veer"...

Glad to finally see some excitement and enthusiasm from the Graham fans. However, we must all be patient during this coming year and down right ecstatic about the years to come. I certainly look forward to coming back to Bluefield and watching Graham play football. That is something I have not done for the past several years.