school names and mascots...

Lance

I personally would love for a Buchanan County school to be called the Stags!

Great mascot and logo, especially now that the deer population is growing in the area....

Stags as in Fairfield University

post-348-137723137929_thumb.jpg

I'm not going for political correctness at all here, but the gender-specific nicknames are a bit of a problem in that they don't translate well for girls' sports.

While I do dig the unique quality of the G-Men moniker at Graham, I've never thought that "G-Girls" has ever sounded quite right.

Of course, some attempts at adaptation aren't much better. For example, the boys of Liberty(Bedford) are known as the Minutemen. The girls are identified -- at least colloquially -- as the Minettes.

Maybe there's a provision of Title IX that would allow completely different mascots and nicknames.

I saw an Internet article on weird mascots and one school had two mascots, one for the boys and one for the girls. I'm thinking the girls mascot was something like the Raggety Anne doll and the boys was the male doll (can't remember names). I'll see if I can find that article.

I'm not going for political correctness at all here, but the gender-specific nicknames are a bit of a problem in that they don't translate well for girls' sports.

While I do dig the unique quality of the G-Men moniker at Graham, I've never thought that "G-Girls" has ever sounded quite right.

Of course, some attempts at adaptation aren't much better. For example, the boys of Liberty(Bedford) are known as the Minutemen. The girls are identified -- at least colloquially -- as the Minettes.

Maybe there's a provision of Title IX that would allow completely different mascots and nicknames.

Sounds good only if Richlands uses the enhanced Fujita scale for their sports teams...EF0 through EF5.

You know, the football team could be the Richlands Blue EF5 Tornados while their soccer team would be known as the Richlands Blue EF1 Tornados. Of course, those EF ratings could be changed based on performance after each game as well...

Sounds good only if Richlands uses the enhanced Fujita scale for their sports teams...EF0 through EF5.

You know, the football team could be the Richlands Blue EF5 Tornados while their soccer team would be known as the Richlands Blue EF1 Tornados. Of course, those EF ratings could be changed based on performance after each game as well...

I like it. I like it a lot. In fact, one could probably start the classification with "Dust Devils" -- although that might confuse folks who are familiar with the midget league football association.

If Tazewell County ever follows through with consolidation, I still think the western school should be known as the Pounding Mill Quarriers.

If Tazewell County ever follows through with consolidation, I still think the western school should be known as the Pounding Mill Quarriers.

I like it!

I just dont see Tazewell Co consolidating

Two schools would work, I just dont see the need. I mean Richlands and Graham have pretty centralized student bases, Tazewell is a little more spread out but not really. It just makes more sense to keep 3 schools, provided enrollment doesent drop or the county loses funding

Although not native to the area, I feel the Honey Badgers could possibly be the most fierce mascot in the world. No sarcasm either..

It just don't give a fluff and is regarded as the most fearless animal on earth.

Although not native to the area, I feel the Honey Badgers could possibly be the most fierce mascot in the world. No sarcasm either..

It just don't give a fluff and is regarded as the most fearless animal on earth.

Badgers??? We don't need no stinking Badgers...