Smith out at Tazewell?

Lance

Guest cj_vt
well you had a good coach in Wyatt and ran him off, so that's what you get i guess...careful what you wish.

What did I wish? I agree that coach Wyatt was a good Coach and I wish he was still here. I only stated that Smith never fired any assistants as a previous poster had stated.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did I wish? I agree that coach Wyatt was a good Coach and I wish he was still here. I only stated that Smith never fired any assistants as a previous poster had stated.

didn't mean you in particular...just those in Tazewell who do such things.

My wife just read me the article that he had resigned as coach yesterday citing health issues (diabetes) but will remain as a teacher.

Could we see the rise of Randy Sparks? I heard he had applied for the Graham job.

I'm sure Tazewell will try to match Graham's hire, but I don't know if that will happen. Graham got a really good hire. I found it amazing that someone with his experience jumped down to a smaller HS to take a HC job. If he has a good few years, look for him to leave for a better job a few years down the line.

Randy Sparks would be a great hire! He's been the MS coach for a few years there. I think he was a finalist in the search at Graham.

I figure they will look to move quickly since the season is a short short time away.

I'm sure Tazewell will try to match Graham's hire, but I don't know if that will happen. Graham got a really good hire. I found it amazing that someone with his experience jumped down to a smaller HS to take a HC job. If he has a good few years, look for him to leave for a better job a few years down the line.

Randy Sparks would be a great hire! He's been the MS coach for a few years there. I think he was a finalist in the search at Graham.

I figure they will look to move quickly since the season is a short short time away.

why should you be surprised he took the job at ghs. this program has been among the best in aa for many years, though the past several have not beet stellar to say the least but this is a choice job for someone the chance to bring the program back to where it was in past. the fact that at least 16 coaches were in the running says a lot for the job at ghs. right now tazewell is in the hot seat. lets see who they get or if the get that many applying for the head coaching job there.

why should you be surprised he took the job at ghs. this program has been among the best in aa for many years, though the past several have not beet stellar to say the least but this is a choice job for someone the chance to bring the program back to where it was in past. the fact that at least 16 coaches were in the running says a lot for the job at ghs. right now tazewell is in the hot seat. lets see who they get or if the get that many applying for the head coaching job there.

I'm with you.....

Coach Williams himself said he had a good job and could've easily spent the rest of his life there....but a job like the one at Graham is one of very few that would make him leave to come here.....

I hope he does well and stays, he's a young man....and consistency is what builds a great program....like the one that Carlock, Colobro, Hicks, White, etc.....did.

Him being at the middle school is great. He can have a positive influence on the middle school kids and they'll hopefully want to participate when they get in high school.

Another thing: Cost of living is good here...Quality of life is good here (despite what others say). It's a great place to raise 3 young children. (especially the VA side) Why wouldn't he stay?

Edited by futbolking

I'm with you.....

Coach Williams himself said he had a good job and could've easily spent the rest of his life there....but a job like the one at Graham is one of very few that would make him leave to come here.....

I hope he does well and stays, he's a young man....and consistency is what builds a great program....like the one that Carlock, Colobro, Hicks, White, etc.....did.

Him being at the middle school is great. He can have a positive influence on the middle school kids and they'll hopefully want to participate when they get in high school.

Another thing: Cost of living is good here...Quality of life is good here (despite what others say). It's a great place to raise 3 young children. (especially the VA side) Why wouldn't he stay?

agree on cost of living in blfd va. other than gas. but taxes and the school system in tazewell county low crime rate is a good place to raise a family. i lived in blfd va till i was almost 50. raised my 2 kids there. did not have to worry about them being out.and ghs is a good place for a young coach to come to stay and make his mark in highschool football. i do believe he will in time bring graham back to its glory days of past. and hopefully fans will one day be able to forget these past several dismal years at ghs.

Why wouldn't I be surprised? Graham has great tradition, and I just don't think he stays that long. That is a great position to be in. Dropping down to single A , playing in the MED, etc.. He's going be competitive with the OOC games and at the top of the MED every year. It's very possible to take a state title or two , but the road won't be easy once in the playoffs.

The guy has good experience, I'm sure he took it for the tradition / HC exp he will need to continue on up the coaching ladder.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but why would it matter if Taz had more or less that appy? I think they have less because they are going to have to move quick due to the season approaching.

I love SWVA deeply, and would give my left arm for it to be thriving again, but I do not esteem remotely close to what you do. I don't wish to offend, as I love the place in which I spent the first 18 years of my life. I'll try to be as delicate as I can while still getting my point across.

You're not beating the cost of living, I'll give you that. However, hidden in that "cost of living" statistic is a dirty little secret, and that is the correllation between cost of living and quality of life. Depressed areas, areas with lower quality of life, typically have great "costs of living". The reasons for this should be obvious.

I've been around the barn a few times. My town, Carlisle, is one of the least affluent towns around (though the borough council legitimately tries, unlike those in SWVA). Wonderful "cost of living", because it's all the people as a whole can afford. You go outside the borough to Silver Spring, Boiling Springs, or Camp Hill...the "cost of living" jumps as if you were entering a different state. With that jump also jumps the quality of life. It's uncanny: areas 20 miles apart have completely different lifestyles.

Again, I love SWVA with all my heart. I don't like it; I love it. But there are two and only two reasons I am not there today. One, quality of life in rural Appalachia is not up to the level I have grown accustomed to in my time away from SWVA. It's simply not that good, and again, I've lived in different towns in VA and in different states; I'm not just whistling Dixie when I disagree. Two, the opportunities that children have outside SWVA are just flat out better elsewhere than back home. Yes, I'm thinking that far down the road for my own kids. Those are pretty much the two reasons that you give FOR staying in SWVA, and why it touched me and compelled me to comment.

Edited by UVAObserver

UVA Observer; I respect your POV, I just disagree a little bit.

I have lived in all 4 time zones of the CONUS as well as a Mexican and Canadian border state in my DOD and DOJ careers. I will say without a doubt that there is no better place to raise kids than in Bluefield Va. Even one of my best friends growing up who moved to Orange County (Newport/Huntington Beach) after college graduation has told me repeatedly he will move back here when he has a family to raise his children. Look at all the successful people who went to Graham or Beaver. We may not have as much culture as larger or more economically viable areas, however, our small town values and sense of safety and security more than make up for it. My college roommate and friends who grew up in Fairfax County loved coming home with me. They said they wished they grew up here. They were amazed when we stopped by GHS how all my teachers knew me and gave me a hug and really cared.

Bottom line; I loved growing up here and love my kids growing up here. I feel Coach Williams and his family will feel the same and put down solid roots here.

I love SWVA deeply, and would give my left arm for it to be thriving again, but I do not esteem remotely close to what you do. I don't wish to offend, as I love the place in which I spent the first 18 years of my life. I'll try to be as delicate as I can while still getting my point across.

You're not beating the cost of living, I'll give you that. However, hidden in that "cost of living" statistic is a dirty little secret, and that is the correllation between cost of living and quality of life. Depressed areas, areas with lower quality of life, typically have great "costs of living". The reasons for this should be obvious.

I've been around the barn a few times. My town, Carlisle, is one of the least affluent towns around (though the borough council legitimately tries, unlike those in SWVA). Wonderful "cost of living", because it's all the people as a whole can afford. You go outside the borough to Silver Spring, Boiling Springs, or Camp Hill...the "cost of living" jumps as if you were entering a different state. With that jump also jumps the quality of life. It's uncanny: areas 20 miles apart have completely different lifestyles.

Again, I love SWVA with all my heart. I don't like it; I love it. But there are two and only two reasons I am not there today. One, quality of life in rural Appalachia is not up to the level I have grown accustomed to in my time away from SWVA. It's simply not that good, and again, I've lived in different towns in VA and in different states; I'm not just whistling Dixie when I disagree. Two, the opportunities that children have outside SWVA are just flat out better elsewhere than back home. Yes, I'm thinking that far down the road for my own kids. Those are pretty much the two reasons that you give FOR staying in SWVA, and why it touched me and compelled me to comment.

We'll agree to disagree....I moved away from SWVA ...(Richmond, Northern, VA...and then the NRV), was gone for about 16 years and I can't be happier to be back.

Edited by futbolking

Why wouldn't I be surprised? Graham has great tradition, and I just don't think he stays that long. That is a great position to be in. Dropping down to single A , playing in the MED, etc.. He's going be competitive with the OOC games and at the top of the MED every year. It's very possible to take a state title or two , but the road won't be easy once in the playoffs.

The guy has good experience, I'm sure he took it for the tradition / HC exp he will need to continue on up the coaching ladder.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but why would it matter if Taz had more or less that appy? I think they have less because they are going to have to move quick due to the season approaching.

no people from taz would not want him to stay long and rebuild the ghs program cause then taz would not have a chance of beating ghs for many years. i dont see why he would not stay long a young coach with 3 young kids. once they start school most parents would not want to uproot the kids many times. and if he did not have plans to stay why leave a job as he said was one that he could stay at for the rest of his life at fuma. this job at ghs is a prime head coaching job and showed by the number of applicants. taz may get 3-4 people applying because no one wants to deal with the parents like has happened year after year at taz. the parents run the program not the coaches. i think this coach will stay at ghs for many years. sorry taz.

no people from taz would not want him to stay long and rebuild the ghs program cause then taz would not have a chance of beating ghs for many years. i dont see why he would not stay long a young coach with 3 young kids. once they start school most parents would not want to uproot the kids many times. and if he did not have plans to stay why leave a job as he said was one that he could stay at for the rest of his life at fuma. this job at ghs is a prime head coaching job and showed by the number of applicants. taz may get 3-4 people applying because no one wants to deal with the parents like has happened year after year at taz. the parents run the program not the coaches. i think this coach will stay at ghs for many years. sorry taz.

he was not coaching at fuma when he took this job.

UVA Observer; I respect your POV, I just disagree a little bit.

I have lived in all 4 time zones of the CONUS as well as a Mexican and Canadian border state in my DOD and DOJ careers. I will say without a doubt that there is no better place to raise kids than in Bluefield Va. Even one of my best friends growing up who moved to Orange County (Newport/Huntington Beach) after college graduation has told me repeatedly he will move back here when he has a family to raise his children. Look at all the successful people who went to Graham or Beaver. We may not have as much culture as larger or more economically viable areas, however, our small town values and sense of safety and security more than make up for it. My college roommate and friends who grew up in Fairfax County loved coming home with me. They said they wished they grew up here. They were amazed when we stopped by GHS how all my teachers knew me and gave me a hug and really cared.

Bottom line; I loved growing up here and love my kids growing up here. I feel Coach Williams and his family will feel the same and put down solid roots here.

I don't disagree: the small-town camaraderie is one of the most endearing things about SWVA. It is touching to see people and the community inextricably tied.

However, I find VA and PA to be much the same, in that you can leave a town/city and in 10 minutes be back in Small Town USA. When I lived in Charlottesville, I found out that if you went south on Route 29 just about 10 minutes, you were pretty deep in the woods. Even now, just 10 miles to my north is a borough called New Bloomfield, located in a county with such a small crime rate that its District Attorney is a part-time position. Harrisburg's just 20 miles to the southeast, the state capitol. Hershey's just 30 miles to the southeast, and it's got an amusement park/Chocolate World/Hershey Bears hockey/American Music Theater/etc.

In NOVA, it's all just urban sprawl. In Huntington Beach, it's all just urban sprawl. Those areas have all the culture/opportunity, but none of the security of simple living. I suppose that is why your friends were so enamored with SWVA. I have good friends from Los Angeles and Miami, and I'm sure they would have much the same reaction. They'll get to see it first-hand in May 2012. :)

I suppose that my rambling point is that in places around Charlottesville and in places around Harrisburg, you can have both the small-town security and the access to culture and opportunity. Try as I may, I cannot find both in SWVA. Small-town security, sure. Access to opportunity, no. If I were to move back, it would be in a quest to change the latter part of that, so that SWVA could become one of those areas that has both.

i also will agree to disagree with you. i grew up in blfd va raised my 2 kids there and both still live there and daughter raising her 2 kids there. i moved away first to covington va, a small town much like blfd. but cost of living much higher with much less to do as for eating and shopping. did have a walmart got a applebees, kroger moved out. if you wanted to do much shopping lewisburg or beckley are closest to there. then moved to stuarts draft. small town close to waynesboro staunton and 45 min from charlotesville va. again high cost of living and not much to do there unless drive else where. blfd has more than these towns so far. moved to harrisonburg. high cost of living and danger. has gangs and high crime rate. lots to do but better do it in daylight would not be out after dark in parts of this town. now live in staunton, where i work again higher cost of living and blfd va has more places to eat and shop when taking in mercer mall into this. crime rate is not real high here but to do anything it cost a lot. the only thing with blfd is the line of work i do i would have to drive to marion, i am a psych nurse. working at western state hospital. but if i had kids i would much rather live in blfd as to the other towns i have lived in the years.would not live in charlottesville for no amount of money, traffic is terriable cost is way to high, and in most of it would not be out after dark anywhere in this city.as for health wise swva does have higher health issues in some areas but all one has to do is go to uva and fontaine center and you will see many poor people with major health issues that live in the surrounding area of charlottesville so i would take the rural atmosphere of swva to the bustling atmospehere of a big city. more jobs in bigger cites i will give you that but crime rate is much higher

Once again, no dog in the fight. It's just my opinion. He may very well stick around and do great things for GHS football. I think he will do a good job. He will do well in the MED, but he will be judged in those OOC games against SWD foes. I don't know his personal goals as a coach, but if they are to be a HC at a big HS or college level, he will be gone within 3 years if he is pretty successful.

I could be very wrong. He may absolutely love the area and stay and coach until he's 65. I guess we shall see.

I'm curious who Taz gets. They need to move quick!

Once again, no dog in the fight. It's just my opinion. He may very well stick around and do great things for GHS football. I think he will do a good job. He will do well in the MED, but he will be judged in those OOC games against SWD foes. I don't know his personal goals as a coach, but if they are to be a HC at a big HS or college level, he will be gone within 3 years if he is pretty successful.

I could be very wrong. He may absolutely love the area and stay and coach until he's 65. I guess we shall see.

I'm curious who Taz gets. They need to move quick!

This hire was made with every intention of him being here for a long time. They hired him because he was young,energetic, and willing to be here for the long haul. Seems like some of you are jealous we made such a good hire, with your snide little comments that he won't be here or whatever. He is the 5th Graham head coach in the last 62 seasons, that is called stability. Two of those 5 were short term guys whose reigns lasted a combined 11 years. He was at Fork Union for 9 years, so I think he put a lot of thought into this move, and decided to put roots down here. And if he is the man I think he is, he's going to be here for a long time. Better get used to it.

Jeff Tarter would be a good hire, since he still lives in Tazewell. Also, a very good coach and person.

Would Be A Great Head Coach For The Dogs And Would Be A Great Hire In My Opinion I Would Just Hate To See The Blues Lose A Coach Like Him To The Dogs LOL.

I think he was approached about the position before they hired Smith last year and he turned it down. He loves the Blues and has dedicated himself to the team and school in so many ways, I doubt he will be interested this time around, although he would truly be a good hire.

This hire was made with every intention of him being here for a long time. They hired him because he was young,energetic, and willing to be here for the long haul. Seems like some of you are jealous we made such a good hire, with your snide little comments that he won't be here or whatever. He is the 5th Graham head coach in the last 62 seasons, that is called stability. Two of those 5 were short term guys whose reigns lasted a combined 11 years. He was at Fork Union for 9 years, so I think he put a lot of thought into this move, and decided to put roots down here. And if he is the man I think he is, he's going to be here for a long time. Better get used to it.

agree i think many from taz are jealous of ghs now that we have someone that actually wants to be here unlike those at tazewell, how many coaches in the past 30 years have they had. since 74 this will only be the third coach at ghs.

agree i think many from taz are jealous of ghs now that we have someone that actually wants to be here unlike those at tazewell, how many coaches in the past 30 years have they had. since 74 this will only be the third coach at ghs.

u talk alotta shit on here. tazewell will be fine and whoever they get will be good enough to beat the G-men this year. mark my words everyone.