District realignment?

brian1269

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Lebanon and Castlewood were to join the BDD(Lebanon, Castlewood, Honaker, Twin Valley, Hurley and Grundy) would everyone be onboard? That would be a well balanced district w/o too much travel time. Dont know if Grundy and Lebanon would be up for that or not but it would work.

That would leave the Tazewell Co schools w/ VAHigh and JS Battle, throw in Abingdon and thats a pretty solid combined district w/ the longest travel time being about 2 hours. Its kinda dumb for those schools to drive past Lebanon for every district game but to me thats the best option. Battle may opt for the Hogo and no one could blame them

Edited by redtiger

So? The SWD had 11, from Bluefield to Gate City.

Wimps.

Yeah, that never made any geographic sense or just ordinary sense to me.

Don't be so jealous.

Plus, the SWD started breaking apart in what, the mid-to-late 80's?

The Hogo had 9 teams in 1995 because anyone who couldn't find a home was thrown in there, including soaking up 3 of your former SWD teams. It was kind of ridiculous.

Edited by deuceswild

If Lebanon and Castlewood were to join the BDD(Lebanon, Castlewood, Honaker, Twin Valley, Hurley and Grundy) would everyone be onboard? That would be a well balanced district w/o too much travel time. Dont know if Grundy and Lebanon would be up for that or not but it would work.

That would leave the Tazewell Co schools w/ VAHigh and JS Battle, throw in Abingdon and thats a pretty solid combined district w/ the longest travel time being about 2 hours. Its kinda dumb for those schools to drive past Lebanon for every district game but to me thats the best option. Battle may opt for the Hogo and no one could blame them

Then you put TS,RC and TW on an island

If we try to keep county schools together

BDD = Grundy, TV, Hurley, Councel, Richlands, Tazwell

CMD = Honaker, Lebanon, Castlewood, VHS, JB

LPD = DC, EastSide, Central, Union, JIB

CD = GC, Lee, TW, RC, TS

Castlewood is a swing school, as far as the small schools are concerned.

Im goin w/,

BDD - Grundy, TV, Hurley, Council, Lebanon, Honaker

CD - TW, TS, RC, Castlewood

LPD - Lee, GC, Union, Central, Eastside, DC

SWD(A/AA) - Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, VA High, JSB, Abingdon

I think thats the best set up for everyone involved.

I havent been counting JIB because they are gonna join Wise Co as a part of Eastside(thats not official but thats what gonna happen)

Edited by redtiger

Of course i used to hear Graham would never drop of be in a district away from the other 2 so you never know

That "policy" (for lack of a better term) is no longer applicable. And the keystone of it was actually Grundy instead of Graham. It was established by a former superintendent about 25 years ago in response to Graham's consideration of leaving the SWD back then. This was shortly after the Highlands/SWD split when AD's encountered their first scramble to assemble schedules. The opinion of the superintendent at the time was that the Tazewell schools wouldn't "strand" Grundy for as long as Grundy was a AA-level school. I don't know that it was ever formalized or put in writing, but it remained in effect as a "gentleman's agreement" for many years.

Grundy's drop to Single-A ultimately nullified this "policy" and also cleared the way for Graham to move to the MED.

While it seems likely that Richlands and Tazewell will stick together when they inevitably drop to Group A (and the resultant realignment of Single-A districts could ultimately reunite them with former mates Graham and Grundy), there is no guarantee that such will happen. At the risk of posting two cliches within one sentence, we are now off the map and it is every man for himself.

I could see the 3 TC schools staying together simply because of geography. Maybe instead of the TC schools moving into the current Reg D schools they would fit better in w/ the Reg C schools?

Someone mentioned the TC schools w/ the larger members of the MED, maybe thats it?

If Lebanon was to join the BDD I dont see Grundy leaving.

Edited by redtiger

Castlewood is a swing school, as far as the small schools are concerned.

Im goin w/,

BDD - Grundy, TV, Hurley, Council, Lebanon, Honaker

CD - TW, TS, RC, Castlewood

LPD - Lee, GC, Union, Central, Eastside, DC

SWD(A/AA) - Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, VA High, JSB, Abingdon

I think thats the best set up for everyone involved.

I havent been counting JIB because they are gonna join Wise Co as a part of Eastside(thats not official but thats what gonna happen)

Two different school boards though, right? If it happens, I doubt it happens soon.

Norton is seriously considering merging their school system w/ Wise Co. Norton is not in a position to where they cant afford to operate their schools yet but they are on that road and they know it and they have the good sense to do something about it, instead of holding on until they have to dissolve their system and take whatever WC gives them. They are barganing for a deal that would benefit Norton and Wise.

WC is considering building a new wing onto Coeburn HS to basically be the new school(incorporating existing cafeteria and gym facilities) but very few students of the former St Paul HS are now expected to enroll at Eastside. IF Norton/Wise merge then the chances of a completly new Eastside HS being built between Coeburn and Norton are very good. Norton would do this for a new building but have said in the past that they will not unless new buildings are built. Its only a step aweay from happening and I believe will sooner than most people think. I may way off but I dont think so, Norton needs Wise and Wise needs Norton.

Most people speculate Dickenson going to the LPD, but I could just as easily see them in the BDD. What's the preference of most of the people there?

I would guess the Clintwood people would want to stay in the LPD but what about the folks in Haysi and Ervinton?

Clintwood wants to stay in the LPD, they have been in the LPD for ever. I think Haysi folks are kinda indefferent on the subject. Alot of the people from Ervinton dont like the idea of consolidation period! As far as I know they dont have much of an opnion on what district DC should be in.

I just feel that DC in the BDD is a bad fit(although very good geographically); DC will have an enrollment of around 700, thats almost 500 students larger than TV or Hurley and almost 600 larger than Council. An LPD w/ Lee, Union, Central and Eastside(w/ JI Burton) would be a much better fit competitively as all would be around 700 students. The same reasoning can be used for why Lee will never be in the Cumberland w/ Thomas Walker, Rye Cove and Twin Springs.

Of course i used to hear Graham would never drop of be in a district away from the other 2 so you never know

Norton is seriously considering merging their school system w/ Wise Co. Norton is not in a position to where they cant afford to operate their schools yet but they are on that road and they know it and they have the good sense to do something about it, instead of holding on until they have to dissolve their system and take whatever WC gives them. They are barganing for a deal that would benefit Norton and Wise.

WC is considering building a new wing onto Coeburn HS to basically be the new school(incorporating existing cafeteria and gym facilities) but very few students of the former St Paul HS are now expected to enroll at Eastside. IF Norton/Wise merge then the chances of a completly new Eastside HS being built between Coeburn and Norton are very good. Norton would do this for a new building but have said in the past that they will not unless new buildings are built. Its only a step aweay from happening and I believe will sooner than most people think. I may way off but I dont think so, Norton needs Wise and Wise needs Norton.

Is Norton really "merging" with Wise??

Unless Norton is petitioning to abandon Independent City status, then they are working on a contract with Wise County. Net effect is that they'd still be a City, but they'd send their kids to school in the adjacent county. Similar to what Lexington does with Rockbridge County and Bedford with Bedford County. That's not the same thing as a "merger."

No real relevance to this discussion or impact upon HS sports itself. But this kind of thing can lead to other misunderstandings.

Clintwood wants to stay in the LPD, they have been in the LPD for ever. I think Haysi folks are kinda indefferent on the subject. Alot of the people from Ervinton dont like the idea of consolidation period! As far as I know they dont have much of an opnion on what district DC should be in.

I just feel that DC in the BDD is a bad fit(although very good geographically); DC will have an enrollment of around 700, thats almost 500 students larger than TV or Hurley and almost 600 larger than Council. An LPD w/ Lee, Union, Central and Eastside(w/ JI Burton) would be a much better fit competitively as all would be around 700 students. The same reasoning can be used for why Lee will never be in the Cumberland w/ Thomas Walker, Rye Cove and Twin Springs.

Would Lee ever absorb TW?

Would RC and TS ever consider consolidation?

My understanding is The City of Norton is looking at all options and all are still being considered. Its very early in the process officially but I would bet alot is being discussed behind closed doors. My money is on norton high school students attending a Wise County school within the next 5 years. Now will norton just send their students to Wc or will Norton relinquish their city status is up in the air. Openly discussions havent moved very far but I bet everyone that has any say pretty much knows what is gonna happen.

TS and RC could consolidate, it wouldnt be hard to do and if Scott Co ever consolidates which is on the horizon, it will probably not involve GC.

I dont see Lee every obsorbing TW, Ewing is pretty far from Ben Hur and if that did happen Lee High would move back up to AA status. IMO Lee Co really messed up when they consolidated and left TW out of it. I guess they were trying to appease the folks from the western part of the county but IMO they should have went w/ 2 schools, one to serve the Eastern side of the county and one to serve the west.

If Scott Co ever consolidates TS and RC, TW will be in a bad spot

Edited by redtiger

As someone who watched the Lee consolidation from the front row, I can tell you that including Thomas Walker was never seriously considered. First off, the geographic shape of the county and the distance from Thomas Walker to Ben Hur was impractical. It is a 20-25 minute drive now, before the four-lane it took a half hour in good weather. Second, politically to have included TW would have made consolidation difficult to achieve.

I knew it was more complicated than I stated. Hindsight is 20/20 and I dont think very many people would argue that 1 big school was the right choice. The 4-lane makes travel very easy down there.

I would've loved to have seen Lebanon and Grundy in the BDD back when I was in high school. Those two competing with Honaker and Haysi for the district would've been interesting to say the least!

I really dont see any major realignments coming. Dont see the need either. The only change I see coming next cycle if the other Tazewell county schools dont drop is Eastside leaving the Cumberland going to the LPD. Nothing major will be considered until the Dickenson County schools consolodate and Richlands and Tazewell drop.

hhstigerfan - Lebanon and Grundy in the BDD during my time would have been great! Honaker and Haysi had some great teams and I know Lebanon/Honaker is always a good game, Greundy was also solid when I played.

swvaoutdoors - It just depends on when Richlands/Tazewell drop. If its next cycle alot will change if its later then change will happen later but it depends on when they drop IMO. Because when they drop what district are they gonna join? The Clinch Mtn? The Hogo? Definately not the BDD so where?

Edited by redtiger

With all that is said about the SWD, what about CC? Now I know nobody in the SWD wants to keep them in there, nothing personal just so far away for several teams. Where would be a good fit for them and what would it take for them to move out to another?

With all that is said about the SWD, what about CC? Now I know nobody in the SWD wants to keep them in there, nothing personal just so far away for several teams. Where would be a good fit for them and what would it take for them to move out to another?

River Ridge with Pulaski and Salem.

I could see them joining the Piedmont, but most likley joining the River Ridge. That could open the door for Cave Spring and Hidden Valley to move into the Blue Ridge w/ the other Roanoke area schools. And the BRD to move into Reg IV

Edited by redtiger

hhstigerfan - Lebanon and Grundy in the BDD during my time would have been great! Honaker and Haysi had some great teams and I know Lebanon/Honaker is always a good game, Greundy was also solid when I played.

swvaoutdoors - It just depends on when Richlands/Tazewell drop. If its next cycle alot will change if its later then change will happen later but it depends on when they drop IMO. Because when they drop what district are they gonna join? The Clinch Mtn? The Hogo? Definately not the BDD so where?

I dont think the BDD would be out of the question but if Richlands dropped if they dont go to a Region C District then it would likely be the CMD. I really dont see the VHSL going back to an A/AA District after doing away with the ones they did have. If Marion, Abingdon, and Caroll County stay AA they might keep the SWD alive as a small district otherwise the SWD will be no more. The one thing I know for certain is it will be a mess. Tazewell may very well join up with Graham in the MED or go to the Hogo. Richlands would go to the Hogo, Clinch or BDD. I hope the Clinch. Have seen posts here about Gate City going back to the LPD. That could happen but not without a huge fight. I know that first hand. GC wants no part of the LPD and I would not be surprised to see a lawsuit if the VHSL tried to put them back in there. But who knows? When this all comes down they might change their minds but I doubt it. Even though I cant see alot of this happening that I referred to in this post dont mean it wont happen. Im just a dumb yayhoo from Scott County. LOL! Still interesting to read and post about it.