District realignment?

brian1269

I would be willing to bet the SWD would go where ever Richlands/Tazewell end up. If they drop, look for Grundy, Graham, Lebanon and possibley Honaker joining in.

now if you could just get marion, JSB, and Abingdon in there, you would have a good SWD again.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which ones did they do away with?

Dogwood is the one I am thinking of. It is still a District but true single A now. Gretna was one of the AA schools in it when it was A/AA. When they dropped to A it became a true A District didnt it?

I would be willing to bet the SWD would go where ever Richlands/Tazewell end up. If they drop, look for Grundy, Graham, Lebanon and possibley Honaker joining in.

There would be no room for an extra district would it? Region C and D both have 4 districts a piece now. I just dont see the VHSL making a 5 District Region. I know Football has no Regions at this time but the other sports do. If the SWD continues it will likely remain as AA in hopes of not going to a Two District Region IV. It will not be what the schools want to do with the SWD or how they want to form a district by joining where they want to. It will be what and where the VHSL wants to do with those schools.

Dogwood is the one I am thinking of. It is still a District but true single A now. Gretna was one of the AA schools in it when it was A/AA. When they dropped to A it became a true A District didnt it?

Isn't there still a "combination" district out on the Eastern Shore? I'm too lazy to hunt for that info myself. Thought somebody here might have a snappy answer.

I do believe that, having experimented with it on a somewhat limited basis, it's the intent of the VHSL to minimize this sort of thing to the greatest extent possible.

Isn't there still a "combination" district out on the Eastern Shore?

Nah, the Eastern Shore District is just three single A teams now (four if you count Chincoteague, which usually only plays 1 or 2 VHSL schools and doesn't play the other ESD teams.)

Isn't there still a "combination" district out on the Eastern Shore? I'm too lazy to hunt for that info myself. Thought somebody here might have a snappy answer.

I do believe that, having experimented with it on a somewhat limited basis, it's the intent of the VHSL to minimize this sort of thing to the greatest extent possible.

What I was driving at is that the VHSL did not "do away" with ANY of the combo districts... those AA schools (Gretna, Nandua, Lee) are still in those districts, but their enrollment numbers kept dropping until they became A's.

I still think the CMD will be dissolved. Would Richlands/Gate City really want to travel back and forth for district games(think basketball, volleyball, etc)?

Marion will drop, it would be crazy not to. I can see the reasoning behind why Graham/Grundy played up and I still think its crazy.

I dont think Honaker would want any part of a "new" SWD, they dont want anypart of Richlands(in football) now but are kinda stuck w/ them.

I still think the CMD will be dissolved. Would Richlands/Gate City really want to travel back and forth for district games(think basketball, volleyball, etc)?

Marion will drop, it would be crazy not to. I can see the reasoning behind why Graham/Grundy played up and I still think its crazy.

I dont think Honaker would want any part of a "new" SWD, they dont want anypart of Richlands(in football) now but are kinda stuck w/ them.

Marion is still above the cutoff though aren't they?

Geographically, the Hogo makes sense for them but if they dropped and so did the Taz Co schools, they could be part of a reformed A-SWD.

What I was driving at is that the VHSL did not "do away" with ANY of the combo districts... those AA schools (Gretna, Nandua, Lee) are still in those districts, but their enrollment numbers kept dropping until they became A's.

I understand.

In light of the changes to the playoff structure in Group A, I'm wondering if the VHSL isn't re-examining the entire nature of the district system. It's been inherently tied to qualifying for postseason play up until now (i.e. the district champs being guaranteed a spot in the playoffs). But if you take that away, the main rationale for districts is essentially to provide guaranteed opponents and to reduce stress related to scheduling. And if you want to carry that to an extreme, it wouldn't matter too much if districts were comprised of schools spanning all three classifications if the member schools were okay with it.

Right now Marion has AA numbers but that will change soon, their enrollment has been dropping for awhile now.

The Hogo makes the most sense, they would be an all around great fit. Although Marion is alot bigger than Northwood, Holston, Rural Retreat. But dont those schools play each other in some sports already?

Edited by redtiger

Right now Marion has AA numbers but that will change soon, their enrollment has been dropping for awhile now.

The Hogo makes the most sense, they would be an all around great fit. Although Marion is alot bigger than Northwood, Holston, Rural Retreat. But dont those schools play each other in some sports already?

They do. Marion has been scheduling Hogo teams left and right to get everyone used to the inevitable. I like how balanced the Hogo is now, nothing against Marion, they would be the bigger oddball but they are a competitive fit for sure.

vhslhelper- I see what you mean. I figure since they have disolved on their own that the VHSL would not be pushing to create any others. But who knows? Might be the very plan. Myself I hope not.

red tiger- Gate City and Richlands are not that far apart from one another. I can answer your question on GCs part and it would be a yes. They would be willing to play Richlands in District play. Richlands is not that much far past Lebanon. I dont see the CMD desolving. It will be restructered if Richlands is put in it. Lee would likely be placed in the LPD because they would not want to play district games against Richlands due to the distance between them. But it will come down to what the VHSL decides and who knows what they will come up with? Like I said earlier what I think will happen and what does happen will likely be two different things.:D

vhslhelper- I see what you mean. I figure since they have disolved on their own that the VHSL would not be pushing to create any others. But who knows? Might be the very plan. Myself I hope not.

red tiger- Gate City and Richlands are not that far apart from one another. I can answer your question on GCs part and it would be a yes. They would be willing to play Richlands in District play. Richlands is not that much far past Lebanon. I dont see the CMD desolving. It will be restructered if Richlands is put in it. Lee would likely be placed in the LPD because they would not want to play district games against Richlands due to the distance between them. But it will come down to what the VHSL decides and who knows what they will come up with? Like I said earlier what I think will happen and what does happen will likely be two different things.:D

If GC would play Richlands because its not that far past Lebanon, why wouldn't Lee?

If GC would play Richlands because its not that far past Lebanon, why wouldn't Lee?

We played Lee when I was in middle school. If I recall, it was at least 2 1/2 hours on a bus.

The way the districts shake out may very well depend on Tazewell. If they want to stay w/ Richlands a new SWD is the answer. Tazewell to Gate City is a long haul(almost 2 hrs in a car). The CMD may stay intact w/ the addition of these two teams but I doubt it. Tazewell could join Graham in the MED, they would be a good fit and that would leave Richlands free to join the CMD. I dont know how dedicated Tazewell Co is to keepin its schools together

There are dozens of ways this could work out. Whats fairley certain is,

LPD - Union, Eastside, Central, DC, Lee

Cumberland - Thomas Walker, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Castlewood

I understand.

In light of the changes to the playoff structure in Group A, I'm wondering if the VHSL isn't re-examining the entire nature of the district system. It's been inherently tied to qualifying for postseason play up until now (i.e. the district champs being guaranteed a spot in the playoffs). But if you take that away, the main rationale for districts is essentially to provide guaranteed opponents and to reduce stress related to scheduling. And if you want to carry that to an extreme, it wouldn't matter too much if districts were comprised of schools spanning all three classifications if the member schools were okay with it.

Gotta disagree with that. I couldn't tell you how long it's been since a runner-up (based on standings) hasn't made the post-season (at least in thr "popular" sports). To me, districts really haven't mattered since the 80's. other than bragging rights.

If Tazewell and Richlands ended up in the CMD (even in one without Lee and/or Gate City), would Graham even WANT to rejoin them because of the added travel? Their furthest trips in the MED are Grayson and Galax and they're closer than going to Bristol.

Plus, Graham could still play both in non-district games same as they will be now.

Edited by hoard

If Tazewell and Richlands ended up in the CMD (even in one without Lee and/or Gate City), would Graham even WANT to rejoin them because of the added travel? Their furthest trips in the MED are Grayson and Galax and they're closer than going to Bristol.

Plus, Graham could still play both in non-district games same as they will be now.

Galax is about the same distance as Bristol. Grayson's longer. I've made those bus rides.

Galax is about the same distance as Bristol. Grayson's longer. I've made those bus rides.

Galax is about a half hour closer than Bristol and Grayson about 15-20 minutes closer.

deuceswild- It may not matter to Lee about traveling to Richlands. I just see them fitting in better with the LPD for some reason.

Red Tiger- How much say would these schools really have in where they will be placed? I was thinking it did not matter so much as to where the schools wanted to be as it would be where the VHSL would actually place them.

Galax is about a half hour closer than Bristol and Grayson about 15-20 minutes closer.

Mileage, maybe. However, I've personally timed them. Been to Galax, Grayson, and Bristol more times that I can count. Galax is roughly equivalent to Bristol, and Independence is a longer drive.

Mileage, maybe. However, I've personally timed them. Been to Galax, Grayson, and Bristol more times that I can count. Galax is roughly equivalent to Bristol, and Independence is a longer drive.

According to Google Maps:

Graham High School to Galax...73.4 miles, 1 hr 18 min. (I-77/US 58)

Graham High School to Independence...67.7 miles, 1 hr 26 min. (I-77/US 21)

Graham High School to Bristol...87.6 miles, 1 hr 44 min. (US 460/US 19/I-81)