Most Influential "Rock" Band

Take your pick.  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick.

• The Who
    • The Beatles
    • The Rolling Stones

Fleetwood Mac - OK, would have been better with Linsey Buckingham

Saw them in Charlotte a couple years ago. My wife is a huge Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks fan, but Linsey definitely made the show for me. He was great!

Def Leppard - saw 3 times - great show-especially when Tesla opened for them.

Roanoke '88...I remember that concert...barely...:D

Loudest - Ratt

Agreed! Who opened for them when you saw them??? Bon Jovi opened for them in Roanoke in '86 (maybe, could have been '85...I just remember it was my first year at VT). Great show, period...

EDIT...Now that I think about it, pretty sure it was around Thanksgiving of '85. Got my first speeding ticket coming home from the concert...State Trooper said he clocked me doing 69 in a 45 in Pembroke. I know for a fact there is no way he clocked me doing 69 in a 45 through Pembroke: #1-I never have and never will do above 45 through Pembroke; #2-I was in a Chevette that had over 80,000 miles on it and leaked oil as badly as I sweat, pretty sure it wasn't hitting on all four cylinders either; #3-I was going up hill where he said he clocked me. Nuff said...case closed...although he didn't agree...

Most fun - Jimmy Buffett (Carowinds)

Always fun no matter where it is!

the Def Leppard show in Johnson City in 87 or 88 with Tesla was great...i remember we had to be at Hurley the next day for SAT's very early...and it was a huge party fr a show lol...i remember being so hungover that it was just miserable...and there were a few of us that sat together and had to keep waking each other up during the test lol...somehow i manage to pull a 1280 lol....i answered every question on both parts and was done early and went to sleep lol.

I have seen a ton of shows...my favorite is still the first show and first time i saw Kiss...Freedom Hall in Louisville KY with Black N Blue on the Asylum tour...after that I was hooked on live shows.

I saw Tesla - Badlands - Great White in '89...amazing show.

Saw Kiss in Cleveland OH record Alive III...went to the Bengals vs. Browns game that same day.

Seen Kiss about 15 times or so i guess now? always a good show.

Saw Ratt - Sammy Hagar - Autograph in JC...

Metallica with Cliff Burton on the Master of Puppets Tour open up for Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin Tour...that was amazing.

Metallica is the loudest show i've ever seen...saw them on the "Summer Sh*t" tour in 1993 or so in Charlotte NC and there were Tornados blowing through, it was raining so hard you couldn't see the crowd up on the hill from the front...and it actually hurt my ears when it was time for the guitar solo...Metallica played for about 3+ hours...Alice in Chains and Suicidal Tendencies were the openers...damn great show.

Motley Crue and Whitesnake in '87 at JC was another great show.

I've seen pretty much everyone I wanted to see...Aerosmith, White Lion, ACDC 10 times or so, ZZ Top, STP, Lollapalooza with Metallica, Soundgarden, The Ramones, Rage Against The Machine, Motley Crue, Warrant, WASP, man the list goes on and on...

also...last time i was in LA i found out Body Count had a new CD coming out and was playing a show in Compton...lol...so I couldn't miss that...Body Count doesnt play many shows so I had to go. It was in a small bar and they had a stage set up in a corner...it was great...the band played at floor level and the place was packed...you have not lived until you have seen Body Count play in Compton CA...i will never forget that night.

The Beatles started the British invasion to America, which made them the most influential hands down in my opinion. I was not a fan of the Beatles' music until their later stuff, but they definitely influenced Rock music more than the other two. Led Zeppelin was my favorite early rock band, and I'm a lifelong Eagles fan.

Guest The Variable

Tool is another band I havent seen mentioned yet, and they had an incredibly effect on the way of almost all rock after nirvanas fall in the mid-90s. In fact after Cobain (the real influence, not Nirvana), Tool had the most impact on all rock since.

Almost every person my age had or was friends with someone who had a tool patch on their backpack or hat or jacket or whatever.

Tool is another band I havent seen mentioned yet, and they had an incredibly effect on the way of almost all rock after nirvanas fall in the mid-90s. In fact after Cobain (the real influence, not Nirvana), Tool had the most impact on all rock since.

Almost every person my age had or was friends with someone who had a tool patch on their backpack or hat or jacket or whatever.

Guarantee if you survey 100 random kids from this area and ask them "What do you think of Tool?", 75% will reply "which one", "who is he", "what kind"...not what I would consider having an "incredible effect".

Whereas, if you asked that same question about the Beatles or Nirvana, 98% of them are going to know exactly who you are talking about and will likely have an opinion...

BTW, I like Tool..."Undertow" is incredible...

The most "influential" person in rock-and-roll history is Django Reinhardt. He is the father and pioneer of the concept of the "lead guitar". Without him, there really is no rock-and-roll. There are no guitar solos or no memorable guitar licks, at least not as we know them today. All three of the bands in this post owe much of their craft to Reinhardt.

And yes, I know that about 5 in every 100 people would know who he is. It doesn't mean that his impact was any less.

When I say influential, I mean the band that changed the way new bands were sounding.

No band in history has ever brought more change, and it was imediate change, than The Beatles and Niirvana. Many great bands have influenced other bands in some way, but those two changed the way the game was played.

Guest The Variable
The most "influential" person in rock-and-roll history is Django Reinhardt. He is the father and pioneer of the concept of the "lead guitar". Without him, there really is no rock-and-roll. There are no guitar solos or no memorable guitar licks, at least not as we know them today. All three of the bands in this post owe much of their craft to Reinhardt.

And yes, I know that about 5 in every 100 people would know who he is. It doesn't mean that his impact was any less.

I think you mean marty mcfly.

Guest The Variable
Guarantee if you survey 100 random kids from this area and ask them "What do you think of Tool?", 75% will reply "which one", "who is he", "what kind"...not what I would consider having an "incredible effect".

Whereas, if you asked that same question about the Beatles or Nirvana, 98% of them are going to know exactly who you are talking about and will likely have an opinion...

BTW, I like Tool..."Undertow" is incredible...

Tool didn't seems to carry over into this new generation, but most of the current crop of musicians were heavily influenced by them. Nine Inch Nails too.

Lateralus remains my favorite.

No band in history has ever brought more change, and it was imediate change, than The Beatles and Niirvana. Many great bands have influenced other bands in some way, but those two changed the way the game was played.

They were just First. If the Rolling Stones would have been the first band to come from England with a different sound, we would be talking about them as a "game-changer". It didn't matter who it was. The first band got the credit. And that was The Beatles. I just think they had no real talent. All their songs sounded the same untill The Who, Rolling Stones, etc came around and they had to change their sound to keep up. (plus Lennons drugs).

Im the ripe old age of 21 lol, but Ive seen over 460 bands in the past 5 years. I average about 2-3 concerts a month. Sometimes more. So I figured I'd put my concert experience thing too, lol.

Best "Show": Rammstein. Ive seen Kiss, and they can't even hold a candle to what Rammstein does. Their show is so massive, it takes 32 18-wheelers to haul it all around. They cant even play over here without paying massive fees b/c their show breaks about every pyro law in this country. If you don't believe me, go to youtube and watch videos from Volkerball and the NYC show that I was at. Outrageous stuff.

Best sounding band: Oddly enough, 3 Doors Down. Sounded just like I was listening to the CD. It actually kinda made me mad, when I see a show, I want to see a band, not hear the same thing lol.

Worst band: Buckcherry. Terrible. Just terrible.

Most fun: Doobie Brothers

Band I've seen the most: Avenged Sevenfold- 13 times. Got tickets to see them 3 more times later this year.

Loudest: AC/DC. It truly just hurt the entire show.

Most energetic: Marilyn Manson. Hes crazy.

Theres so many more I could list. Ive seen everyone from 70s and 80s bands to todays biggest. Its kinda like my drug.

Big difference in seeing bands in their prime and seeing them years past...Metallica was great on the justice for all tour, but if i saw them for the first time on a recent tour i would think they were average at best....likewise seeing the Stones now is better than never seeing them, but would be nothing like seeing them back in the day...same with the Who or Springsteen....Eagles...ZZ TOP all great shows but not as good as they once were.

Big difference in seeing bands in their prime and seeing them years past...Metallica was great on the justice for all tour, but if i saw them for the first time on a recent tour i would think they were average at best....likewise seeing the Stones now is better than never seeing them, but would be nothing like seeing them back in the day...same with the Who or Springsteen....Eagles...ZZ TOP all great shows but not as good as they once were.

You can take KISS in their prime and put them up against Rammstein now and Rammstein puts on a better show. The only reason they aren't big mainstream here is because our country's attitude that if a band isn't from America or doesn't speak English we don't give them a shot. They sold out 4 straight shows in Brazil last year, each with over 100,000 in attendance. America just hasn't caught on.

If you are talking bands, in my opinion, Big D is right. However, if you want three of the most influential people in music, again, in my opinion. Here are my 2 cents.

1. Johnny Cash - I can't believe no one has mentioned him. Best ever period. Comparing him to Michael Jackson should get your tail whipped in 49 of the 50 states.

2. Hank Williams, Sr. - The Original. Has influenced Country, Rock and the Blues.

3. "Tennessee" Ernie Ford - Some consider the father of country music. Still a great play, and yes I have his greatest hits on CD.

If you are talking bands, in my opinion, Big D is right. However, if you want three of the most influential people in music, again, in my opinion. Here are my 2 cents.

1. Johnny Cash - I can't believe no one has mentioned him. Best ever period. Comparing him to Michael Jackson should get your tail whipped in 49 of the 50 states.

He's been mentioned quite a few times actually.

You can take KISS in their prime and put them up against Rammstein now and Rammstein puts on a better show. The only reason they aren't big mainstream here is because our country's attitude that if a band isn't from America or doesn't speak English we don't give them a shot. They sold out 4 straight shows in Brazil last year, each with over 100,000 in attendance. America just hasn't caught on.

Kiss played to over 200,000 at that same venue in 1983....i've seen both...and i didn't even see Kiss in circa 1976-78, but even then Kiss is just in a different league...not even close. But, Rammstein does put on a great show..as far as them not being from America and not getting a shot, that's just not true...lots of imports made it big here.

Kiss took being a band to a place no other band has gone...they are alone as the greatest merchandised band ever...they have their own Army....lol...if you can dream up something, its had a kiss logo on it at one point...Dimebag was burried in a Kiss Coffin....they have one of if not the most iconic logos that is popular the world around...you can go just about any place on the earth and find a Kiss fan or merch. The thing is that it's been this way now for well over 30 years...and its still going strong and they even have a new CD out soon with all new music....which will still enter in the top 10 on the charts when its released, doesn't matter who else has a CD out at that time. They just continue to roll on.

video of that show in Rio:

Kiss is derivative of Alice Cooper who truly blazed the rock as performance art .

I will give you another trendsetter that is a touchstone for many artists today, and that would be Lynyrd Skynyrd. There are tons of bands whose sound was defined by them. Lots of Indie bands like the Drive By Truckers and most country groups draw from them for inspiration.

Kiss is derivative of Alice Cooper who truly blazed the rock as performance art .

I will give you another trendsetter that is a touchstone for many artists today, and that would be Lynyrd Skynyrd. There are tons of bands whose sound was defined by them. Lots of Indie bands like the Drive By Truckers and most country groups draw from them for inspiration.

both cooper and skynyrd are good additions to "the list"...if we are going in to country Buck Owens and Roy Clark...Porter Wagoner ...Charlie Daniels...and don't forget Chet Atkins.

Guest The Variable

I have heard that Rammstein concerts are good. My brothers best friend actually flew to Europe to catch their "real" concert.

As far as the most famous logo is concerned, I would think it would be the Rolling Stones logo. I cant stand them, but they are that big.

I have heard that Rammstein concerts are good. My brothers best friend actually flew to Europe to catch their "real" concert.

If I had the money, I'd fly to Germany to see it. I saw the NYC show, the first here in 12 years. And they pulled out alot more than I thought they could based on the pyro laws in the country. But the NYC show was about 70% of what the actual show is. Rumor is they are putting their last album out next year. If thats the case, I WILL fly to Germany to see them.

Guest The Variable
If I had the money, I'd fly to Germany to see it. I saw the NYC show, the first here in 12 years. And they pulled out alot more than I thought they could based on the pyro laws in the country. But the NYC show was about 70% of what the actual show is. Rumor is they are putting their last album out next year. If thats the case, I WILL fly to Germany to see them.

I flew AirTran (government charter) from Germany. AirTran is cheap and its not as bad as people make them out to be. Be prepared for a long flight though.

I flew AirTran (government charter) from Germany. AirTran is cheap and its not as bad as people make them out to be. Be prepared for a long flight though.

I was just checking out their website, and while hard to really read, as my German isnt the greatest, they are playing in March on the day before a Chelsea football game, I may go to England to see them then see my Chelsea Blues play the next day. Definately would be a damn good trip.