CC might have the toughest schedule in the SWD this year.

JamesL_CcLB34

Could not believe my eyes when I saw the teams they were playing this year, but also it is a step in the right direction for the football program at CC. To be honest I have no idea what the team is looking like this year, but hopefully good after looking at this schedule. Mt. Airy (hometown of Andy Griffith for anyone interested haha) has won a few state championships in NC the past few years for those of you who don't recognize that team.. but really the only easy game here is Grayson County not counting the scrimmage against Galax.

Aug. 19 — Benefit game at Galax

Aug. 26 — at Bassett Aug. 26

Sept. 2 — Mount Airy

Sept. 9 — Christiansburg

Sept. 23 — Grayson County

Sept. 30 — at Martinsville

Oct. 7 — at Abingdon

Oct. 14 — Richlands

Oct. 21 — Tazewell

Oct. 28 — at Marion

Nov. 5 — at Patrick

tazewell also should be a win for them pretty easy also.

Tazewell may be starting over with a new coach and system, but they do have 15 plus returning seniors, so they may not be the biggest push overs as your stating here! I know they have been in the weight room all winter and summer and they will be ready to crack some heads...

Tazewell may be starting over with a new coach and system, but they do have 15 plus returning seniors, so they may not be the biggest push overs as your stating here! I know they have been in the weight room all winter and summer and they will be ready to crack some heads...

I agree. I think Tazewell is going to be a lot better this season than most folks think.

I hear ya, Tazewell has a pretty tough schedule, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them finishing 2nd in the district this year. I'm going to say 5-5 or even 6-4....I see the SWD this way...

1. Richlands

2/3 CC or Tazewell

4/5 Marion or Abingdon

IN order of toughness, I would rank your schedule this way, from toughest to weakest....

1. Christiansburg

2. Richlands

3. Bassett

4. Martinsville

5-8.....Grayson Co. + the Rest of the SWD all about the same (Tazewell maybe the best of that bunch).

9. Patrick Co.

Maybe I'm wrong about Patrick, but I got to see these guys in action for several years in a row and they have never impressed me.

yea i think i said this on another post martinsville will be the team to beat i think in our region. they came to richlands and had a good game going until some one wanted to take a cheap shoot at bradley i think it was and the blues ran off about 28 unanswered. that team only lost like 4 kids i think. i work with a guy his son is a sr this yr.

@futbolking and @ba961

How can you possibly think that Martinsville and Christiansburg will be better than Richlands this year?

Go back and READ my post...this is what I said...

IN order of toughness, I would rank your schedule this way, from toughest to weakest....

1. Christiansburg

2. Richlands

3. Bassett

4. Martinsville

I only ranked Christiansburg ahead of Richlands.... a team that made it to the D-4 State semis last year and return a lot of talent....geeeze, I don't know what I was thinking...

And I do believe BA was trying to say that Martinsville will be Richland's toughest competition this year in D-3.....which is probably correct...Cave Spring lost a ton of talent... Christiansburg is D-4....and Richlands won't play them in the playoffs, you do realize that...don't you?...I was simply responding to somebody from Carroll County about the toughness of their schedule...

Of those I listed Christiansburg and Bassett are D-4....Richlands and Martinsville are D-3....now exactly what is your problem with my opinion?....and please explain your point of view on who you think is better.

Edited by futbolking

not that it makes much difference, but i would switch mhs and bassett. bassett has trended downward the last couple of years. martinsville limited them to one first down all game last year en route to a 23-0 loss at ed bassett stadium.

James, The CCHS schedule is tough and especially by our standards. Just 10-15 years ago, there were way too many Single-A teams on the schedule including Fort Chiswell (who has really turned their program around over the past couple of years!), Galax when it counted, Grayson, and Floyd County (who is always well coached and a tough out for most anybody). Good to see the only Single-A game is Grayson, not withstanding the "benefit" game with Galax (who is also coming off a playoff appearance and is MUCH improved).

The games with Martinsville and Mt. Airy, which replace Graham and Grundy, are great for the area and more in line with "rivalry" type games both sets of schools can benefit from playing. They are certainly much better travel games than we've seen in the past (as you well know from some of those bus rides into the wild west). I would still love to see CCHS in the district with Patrick, Martinsville, Bassett, et.al or Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Pulaski, etc. No knock on the SW District at all, but CCHS has never been a good fit in terms of travel or generating fan interest with many of the opponents.

Here's to hoping for a productive and injury free season for all our MessageBoard teams!

not that it makes much difference, but i would switch mhs and bassett. bassett has trended downward the last couple of years. martinsville limited them to one first down all game last year en route to a 23-0 loss at ed bassett stadium.

I hear ya...you probably know more about those 2 schools than I do, anyway.