High School Rivalry 2011

Tigers_07

Try the Reagan administration - I believe it was 1988 the last time Abingdon beat Richlands (Don't kill me if I am wrong) I know according to VHSL-REF that they are 8-0 the last 8 times played

I give them too much credit, then. ;)

Careful, Bluefield only leads the series 7-5 since 2000...even though they've outscored Graham 96-7 over the last two seasons...

If you want to make it look closer, Bluefield is just 6-5 since 2001.

born n raised in marion..but mom n dad now live 6 mins from the chilhowie stadium and they are warriors thru n thru..so livin right in downtown marion makes for sum interesting talk in a few weeks..

There's one for me...

Narrows @ Giles

May not be competitive but Giles Co. still shutsdown and these two still hate each other with a passion. Remember the Roanoke Times several years ago listing it as the #2 rivalry in the timesland behind PC/Salem.

I give them too much credit, then. ;)

If you want to make it look closer, Bluefield is just 6-5 since 2001.

Yeah, since about 1978....the series has been much more competitive (I pick 78, because that's when my oldest brother was a junior....It was either that year or the next that Graham put a whooping on Bluefield...I like to think in part to my oldest brother (of course, I'd think that)....but the series has went back and forth...Bluefield has had a couple of streaks in there, since then however...but there have been a few "blown" games by Graham as well.... like in 84 when Graham went for 2 at the end of the game and didn't make it...losing 21-20..., when one of their running backs was running all over Bluefield, but another dude(no disrespect to him) got the ball and didn't get in...not gonna name names, there...some of you may remember....Not naming names, because I may seem a little biased to those of you who know me...

Also, the year that Graham was inside of Bluefield's 10 yard line 5 or 6 times and only managed 6 points, losing 10-6...I could go on...

Just because scores can be one sided doesnt mean that you still don't hate the other team with a passion. That's what a rivalry is all about

A bulldog fan would know all about that :p sorry, it's all in good fun . but I couldn't resist a little jab when I read that...

A bulldog fan would know all about that :p sorry, it's all in good fun . but I couldn't resist a little jab when I read that...

Yeah we know, but it has took the past 20 years for our rival to catch up to us in wins in the series!

• 3 weeks later...
Going to Union @ Lee High.... should be interesting with Appalachia now in the mix too. Am interested in seeing what becomes of the series rivalry since PV is no more. Last year could have been the final for the "Battle of the Boot", if so maybe they'll start up a new series.

And a new one has been established. Lee-Union series to be the "Brawl for the Bucket" with a Coal Miner's Dinner Bucket traveling trophy (sponsored by South-West Insurance again like the Battle of the Boot was).

Guest bigdaddyd50

Who ever said GC is going to be down is mistaken very badly. Huge/fast line, returning qb. 8 D starters back and all kinds of skill back on O. We are not rebuilding just reloading. :)

I like the traveling trophy, sounds like a winner. The Battle of the Boot was always a big deal. Why not just let it still be The Battle of the Boot?

GC wont be what they were last year but they still should be pretty good.

Hurley@Grundy

Should be a lot closer than it has in recent years. Also with the two Grundy players transferring to Hurley, I'm sure that will add fuel to the fire of this long heated rivalry . Believe Hurley should have a serious shot at beating Grundy for the first time since the 1992 season and only the 4th time in the Rebels football teams 60 year history.

Hurley@Grundy

^^^100% should be a heck of a game. Especially with Grundy's bitterness towards Berglowe's leaving, And I'm sure Berglowe is just as eager to prove he made the right choice. I also think Twin Valley and Hurley will be a good one, I figure on Hurley winnin' but its always an entertaining game just because of the shear hatred between "The Knob" and "The Cliff" I never miss it.