Bdd 2011

redtiger

twin valley is having a team....they should have the most numbers they have had probably ever....best team they have had since 04-05 season.....rest of the bdd won't care about this cause it'll be hard for them to finish better than 5th still but there will be more than one or two wins on the left side for twin valley this year

We all care and want to see TV do good, just not against our teams. I would love to see TV win all of there OOD games and be competitive in district play

What has been the issue with Twin Valley? They have not been competitive at all on the gridiron since they formed. Back in the day the Garden Green Dragons were a tough date

I dont know that there is a right answer. Their enrollment has dropped signifigantly since Gardens heyday, im sure that factored into it. It seems like the Basketball team flurished early on and Football was just left behind. They definately have to get more kids to come out, having 25 or so on the roster just wont cut it

I dont know that there is a right answer. Their enrollment has dropped signifigantly since Gardens heyday, im sure that factored into it. It seems like the Basketball team flurished early on and Football was just left behind. They definately have to get more kids to come out, having 25 or so on the roster just wont cut it

Enrollment dropped but you would have figured that combining the communities would have offset/leveled that out though right? To have 25 out at a school consisting of more than one community is absurd

When did Garden's performance begin to decline? From my youth, I only remember a state finals run in (if I recall correctly) '86.

Garden had a good program from 1980-89. I think from 1990 till closing they were mediocre but they didn't have any records like they've had in the last 10 years. I don't know what the deal is with Twin Valley.

just to let y'all know. Honaker has RB Jerod Honaker, QB Ty Hall, most of the o-line/d-line, TE Jeremiah Dye, and FB Tyler Bailey.

Little Birdie told me Dye wants out to play basketball for Hurley. Doubt he'll do it though.

If im not mistaken enrollment has dropped off alot. I believe back in the day Garden was a D2, now TV is a small D1. Whitewood was always very small

TV doesent really serve 2 communities in the way your thinking, outside of Grundy Buchannon Co is sparsley populated. The school really serves the SE corner of Buc Co. Kind of like Old Coeburn High(I had to), there arent that many kids from the Town of Coeburn, most are from Flatwoods, Sandy Ridge, Toms Creek, etc. For example the population of Whitewood is just shy of 500 people, Wise is just under 3,300.

Still tho thats no excuse, Garden football wasnt the most tradition rich program but they did have a good following and the kids turned out to play. I think it has alot to do w/ coaching, not at the Varsity level but at the lower levels. Interest just isint built so by the time Varsity rolls around there just arent that many participants. I also dont think they have much of a weightlifting program and that hurts alot.

Edited by redtiger

the first few years tv was around had alot of good players but lack of any kind of discipline and they did what they wanted....then the next coach had good talent but lack of experience in the head coach, just didn't get anything out of the players....the coach now is turning it around and the main reason is cause the players love playing for him and will play hard for him....but like someone said about the lower levels....there for a long time we didn't have a little league program at all....just the past few years it started back, and if your around twin valley alot you see promise there in some young kids but then you said it all there at the end the weight lifting....thats the problem i think....kids are good when they are young but then we only see a small number of them lifting when they get older....i think its in the right direction though...

Little Birdie told me Dye wants out to play basketball for Hurley. Doubt he'll do it though.

I've heard about the rumor, but i seriously doubt it though b/c he also plays baseball and was on the state championship team. knowing him, he probably wants to stay at honaker to play one more year of baseball and win another state title for coach harding.

I've heard about the rumor, but i seriously doubt it though b/c he also plays baseball and was on the state championship team. knowing him, he probably wants to stay at honaker to play one more year of baseball and win another state title for coach harding.

I'd say your right. I didn't know he played baseball as well.

back when i played for garden in the mid to late 90's we had sum good teams our record didnt always show it but if we had played a schedule like tv plays now we could have one 7 to 8 games a year...we played giles lebanon burton grundy...and grundy was tough as nails back then...big creek and if im ot mistaken that was the year the owls went to state....

having 25 or so on the roster just wont cut it

Not trying to argue, but this has been the case at Haysi for several years, and they have managed to put together some competitive teams. Not saying that huge numbers wouldn't help, but keep in mind that teams like Lunenberg Central used to win state titles with 23 players on the roster......albeit they were 23 legitimate players.....

BTW, TV had the largest first day turnout in school history today(27 +) and to the best of our knowledge the most players out ever at that location, Whitewood never exceeded 25 on the first day.......so that in intself is promising......

Not trying to argue, but this has been the case at Haysi for several years, and they have managed to put together some competitive teams. Not saying that huge numbers wouldn't help, but keep in mind that teams like Lunenberg Central used to win state titles with 23 players on the roster......albeit they were 23 legitimate players.....

BTW, TV had the largest first day turnout in school history today(27 +) and to the best of our knowledge the most players out ever at that location, Whitewood never exceeded 25 on the first day.......so that in intself is promising......

That is awesome. Good luck this season.

Haysi generally has 30 or so out. Most I have ever seen was in 05, right at 50.

Low numbers isint the cause of the problem but its a factor. TV usually has 2-3 guys that can rwally play, if those guys could focus primarially on O and D they would be fine but they have to play every special team also, it just drains them. If they had 30-35 out that wouldnt be a problem.

Glad to hear that #s are up(even if it is just a little)